Author Topic: The Criterion Collection  (Read 219967 times)

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
Re: The Criterion Collection
« Reply #1840 on: March 22, 2019, 02:12:10 PM »
Is the new Criterion streaming service using HTML5 for web streaming? If I bought it, I'd only be able to watch on PC and Filmstruck for whatever reason used flash which is obsolete now.

tinyholidays

• Elite Member
  • It's a hard world for little things.
« Reply #1841 on: March 22, 2019, 02:18:18 PM »
There's nothing on the criterion channel website about whether the service will be usable on roku or chromecast. Just that to use it on smart tv you can log into a web browser (yikes), and that that might work. So, you're supposed to watch all these great movies on your laptop?

I was going to ask about it on fb or twitter, but they aren't engaging user questions on social media.

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #1842 on: March 22, 2019, 02:40:59 PM »
I've got a decent monitor hooked up to my PC.

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #1843 on: March 22, 2019, 03:21:11 PM »
From the website: The Criterion Channel will launch April 8 in the U.S. and Canada and will be available on desktop, Apple TV, Amazon Fire, Roku, iOS, and Android devices.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

tinyholidays

• Elite Member
  • It's a hard world for little things.
« Reply #1844 on: March 22, 2019, 05:39:11 PM »
Ok, I see now that you can tab over on the front page and it says that, but I am concerned about it not being its own app. The current watching faq doesn't mention stick streaming services. Well, actually, the page loads with links to questions about chromecast, roku, etc, but quickly reloads to hide those questions. I worked at it for awhile and managed to click onto the roku question, which says that you watch movies from the criterion channel library on the VHX app. A friend clicked through to the hidden chromecast link and got the VHX message too, or that you can watch from the website on your computer and cast it up to the tv.

The channel's social media posts have a lot of people talking about problems that they're having streaming the movie of the week, and I didn't see replies to questions on their posts on facebook or twitter.

I think the announced line-up of films is really great. Lots of stuff that I've had a hard time getting ahold of. But I'm worried about a service that doesn't have a dedicated app, doesn't seem to be addressing user questions, and is already getting a lot of comments saying that playback stops or getting DRM messages saying content cannot be played.

Many of the comments I saw on the FB launch message were about having DRM problems. The DRM faq says that

DRM-protected content will not work on the following:

Chromecast devices
    AirPlay
    Chromebooks
    XBox One
    Some older models of Amazon Fire TV
    All VHX apps (Roku, Android, iOS)

Again, I want this service to work, but I'm going to wait until after launch to sign up. I'm not going to be watching these movies on my laptop. I'll take the extra $10 for the annual service to see if it's actually working.

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #1845 on: April 10, 2019, 08:22:05 AM »
Is anyone here using the service? How is it?

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #1846 on: April 15, 2019, 05:07:57 PM »
July:

Do the Right Thing - One of my faves, definitely all over this for the proper color timing. The vague features listing does not make it entirely clear what's being carried over from the Universal Blu-Ray, but there's no sign of the 20th anniversary commentary, so I guess I'll keep both editions. Purchase.

Klute - Somehow never seen this even though it seems like a movie I've seen mentioned a million times. Maybe I'll check this out. Possible rental.

1984 - Never seen it, but I liked the book the one time I read it many years ago. Also dig the Eurythmics soundtrack. Still, I have little interest. Pass.

BRD Trilogy upgrade - Not a fan of any of these. Pass.

Europa Europa - It was fine, no need to see again. Pass.

The Baker's Wife - It was good, but also no need to see again. Pass.

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
    • my movie blog
« Reply #1847 on: May 15, 2019, 04:05:21 PM »
August:

An Angel at My Table - Top 10-ish film for me, obviously getting it even though it looks like no new extras. Purchase.

The Inland Sea - Never heard of this (it currently has 23 votes on IMDb) but it sounds really interesting. Rental.

Magnificent Obsession and The Flavor of Green Tea Over Rice - Coincidentally, I gave each of these a score of 83. In both cases, not enough for me to want to see again. Pass.

Koker Trilogy - I feel compelled to buy this, even though my ratings were only 75/82/84 (and that 75 for the first one was readjusted in hindsight... I initially gave it a much lower score). Probably I should give it a second look before committing to a buy. Rental.

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #1848 on: May 16, 2019, 01:54:24 PM »
Obviously pumped for the Koker Trilogy. An easy buy for me, but will probably wait for the November sale.

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
    • my movie blog
« Reply #1849 on: June 10, 2019, 01:53:26 PM »
http://www.postmagazine.com/Publications/Post-Magazine/2019/March-April-2019/Restoration-1938s-I-Holiday-I-.aspx

CULVER CITY, CA — Sony Pictures Entertainment (www.sonypictures.com) recently completed a 4K digital restoration of Holiday, the 1938 romantic comedy starring Cary Grant and Katharine Hepburn. Directed by George Cukor, the newly-restored film screened recently at the TCM Classic Film Festival in Hollywood in advance of its release on Blu-ray by The Criterion Collection.

Yay!