Author Topic: The Criterion Collection  (Read 219797 times)

Antares

• Godfather
Re: The Criterion Collection
« Reply #1870 on: September 16, 2019, 05:38:52 PM »
The Story of Temple Drake - I really like Miriam Hopkins and at a lean 71 minutes I should be able to squeeze it in somewhere. Rental.

It'll be interesting to see how much they cleaned up the print of this film. I watched it years ago in a public domain copy and it was in pretty bad shape. It's a really good pre-code film.
Masterpiece (100-91) | Classic (90-80) | Entertaining (79-69) | Mediocre (68-58) | Cinemuck (57-21) | Crap (20-0)

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #1871 on: September 17, 2019, 12:14:51 AM »
Coming off Wings of Desire, I liked Until the End of the World - I've seen it three times - but the overall structure seemed off, like there are large pieces missing. Honestly, that isn't easy to tell with Wenders, but when I first learned of a longer cut I swore to watch it. I've cooled on Wenders considerably since, so it won't be high on my Watchlist unless I start reading some enthusiastic reviews.

Took me a moment, but I remember The Story of Temple Drake. I think I read an article about it being one of the raciest movie posters of the time.

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #1872 on: October 16, 2019, 04:31:02 PM »
After a few ho-hum months for me, Criterion's come up with some goodies for January:

All About My Mother and Holiday - both on my favorites list, definite purchases. Holiday includes the 1930 version, anyone seen it?

Fail Safe - Never saw this, might check it out. Possible rental.

Le petit soldat - There are a couple of Godards I like. This is not one of them. Pass.

The Fugitive Kind - Decent movie that I have no interest in seeing again. Pass.

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #1873 on: October 16, 2019, 05:26:39 PM »
Holiday is one I need to revisit. Want to say I saw it while sick. More Godard is always a good thing, right? Right?

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
    • my movie blog
« Reply #1874 on: October 16, 2019, 10:25:22 PM »
All About My Mother and Holiday - both on my favorites list, definite purchases.

Semi-interesting coincidence: as I update my spreadsheet, I see the last time I watched both of these was during the same week, almost exactly 5 years ago.

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
    • my movie blog
« Reply #1875 on: November 15, 2019, 02:13:15 PM »
It's that time again, here's what they've got for February:

Paris is Burning - I have a very hazy memory of watching this like 25 years ago, but it may have been just the trailer. Anyway, not that interested. Pass.

Three Fantastic Journeys by Karel Zeman - This sounds really neat and the packaging is awesome, but I'm not curious enough to give it a look any time soon. Pass.

Antonio Gaudi - Totally unexpected Blu-Ray upgrade. I liked this movie a lot but I wouldn't buy it. Maybe someday I'll take that trip to Spain and then maybe I'd want to see this again. Until then... Pass.

Teorema - One of my favorites by Pasolini, but there are none I need to buy. Pass.

Roma - I never did get around to watching this. If and when I do, it'll probably be on Netflix. Pass.

Nice month for my bank account.

philip918

• Elite Member
« Reply #1876 on: November 15, 2019, 02:26:43 PM »
Paris is Burning is one of the greatest documentaries ever made. It's on Netflix, but I'll be happy to buy the Criterion Blu-ray.

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #1877 on: November 15, 2019, 04:51:08 PM »
Criterion says that it is from a 4K master but I believe it is still a standard Bluray,  I think I will just plan to watch it on Netflix, just been waiting for the new Nvidia Shield so I can take advantage of Atmos
"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #1878 on: November 15, 2019, 05:50:05 PM »
No interest in Roma, have never heard of the others before.

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #1879 on: November 15, 2019, 10:45:05 PM »
Noted documentary hater FLY liked Paris Is Burning when he watched it years ago. Like philip918 and jdc said though, it is on Netflix atm.

love