Author Topic: Top 5 long takes  (Read 6822 times)

Valentine McKee

• Nobody does it better
    • My music vid
Re: Top 5 long takes
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2008, 05:04:21 PM »
Just saw the film In Bruges and without spoiling anything, a scene where a character is watching the opening of Touch of Evil receives a phone call, which he then answers in a single long take, pacing round the room.

Not the most amazing take - one man in a room - but it's a nice touch. Also any reason to get more people to see this under-released film is worth it.
The cat's in the bag and the bag's in the river.

Tequila

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2008, 07:12:40 PM »
The six or seven takes that make up Before Sunset?
'What am I doing? I'm quietly judging you'
http://letterboxd.com/Tagave/

samfuller

• Foreigner's Guide to Film Culture in Korea
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2008, 10:14:37 PM »
The selections so far seem rather Amercian-centric, which is odd given that American films are generally cut much faster than that of other cinemas.

Most of the great filmmakers internationally use a great many long takes, including Bela Tarr, Hou Hsaio-hsien, Hong Sang-soo, and many other directors of Asian minimalism. Not to mention of course directors like Mizoguchi and Renoir.

Some favorites:

-the ending of UGETSU

-dance macabre chateau scene in RULES OF THE GAME

-Batala's murder in LE CRIME DE MONSIEUR LANGE

-almost all of SATANTANGO

Too many others to mention.

My favorite of films I recently watched: a 4 minute take at a dinner table in Hong Sangsoo's WOMAN ON THE BEACH, which features 3 uses of the zoom that almost act as cuts.

¡Keith!

• Objectively Awesome
  • Bitch, I been around since LimeWire.
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2008, 02:30:20 AM »
I think that because of the usually quick edits that american tracking shots tend to get more play.  Where as Theodoros Angelopoulos just uses 8 minute sho after 8 minute shot so singleing one out as great is far harded (also it desn't draw attention to itself).

That said the one in Ulysses' Gaze that incoporates the statue of Lenin floating dow the river on a barge is a very strong moment (minutes?)

Moviebuff28

• Elite Member
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2008, 04:34:01 PM »
1. Children of Men (The 6 minute Tracking Shot following Clive Owen in the Battle Scene)
2. Goodfellas (Copacabana)
3. Irreversible (The rape scene)
4. Yesterday (There is a 5 minute opening unbroken take where we see how far this woman has walked)
5. A History of Violence (The opening credits)

e_e

• My Criticker Page
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2008, 12:58:18 PM »
1. Oldboy (Corridor Fight)
2. Magnolia (Entering the TV station)
3. Memories of Murder (The first crime scene)
4. Sátántangó (The final scene)
5. Funny Games (*SPOILERS* After the kid dies, one long shot of the room with the TV set still on)

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
  • “By any seeds necessary.”
    • justAtad
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2008, 01:07:40 PM »
I can't really rank them, but I really love these two:

Children of Men (the opening shot. The way that shot is able to bring you into the world of the film with all the people watching tv and then going out onto the street followed by the shop explosion. It is frightening and beautiful all at the same time.)

War of the Worlds (Highway scene. The way the camera and car swing back and forth racing down the highway with no other cars moving feels so urgent. It's a great shot, just one of many, in a disappointing film.)
"We didn't clean the hamster's cage, the hamster's cage cleaned us!"

Can't get enough FroHam? Read more of my musings at justAtad

edgar00

• 00 Agent
  • Objectively Awesome
  • corndogs are better than Die Another Day
    • Between The Seats
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2008, 02:09:26 PM »
You and I had really different reactions to War of the Worlds. I like the movie but I found that shot you're talking about feels like it's calling attention to itself. I'm not sure why though, but it feels like it's being fancy for the sake of being fancy.
-Le Chiffre: You changed your shirt, Mr Bond. I hope our little game isn't causing you to perspire.

-James Bond: A little. But I won't consider myself to be in trouble until I start weeping blood.

https://twitter.com/Betweentheseats
http://crabkeyheadquarters.wordpress.com/

CSSCHNEIDER

• Elite Member
  • I Shoot Movies, Don't I?
    • http://csschneideraccounts.blogspot.com/
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2008, 02:16:35 PM »
I agree with Edgar.

The Diving Bell and the Butterfly showed the world that Spielberg is holding Kaminski back from great feats of fotography, but I also think he tends to psh Spielberg into shots like this one from War of the Worlds.  Something completely unnecessary and showy.
Taste is discerning, not all encompassing.

It's Not What You're Like, It's What You Like

Know the Difference Between Arts and Crafts

"Pain is Temporary, Film is Forever..." --John Milius

Winner! BFCS Iconoclast Award 2007

Melvil

• Godfather
  • Eek
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2008, 02:56:25 PM »
Oldboy - Corridor fight, obviously.
Serenity - First shot inside Serenity. Great way to establish the layout of the ship and introduce the crew along the way.
Children of Men - A couple of great candidates, but it's the car attack that I was most impressed by.
War of the Worlds - I like the movie much more than most people do, and that highway scene is technically amazing, and also creates the perfect sense of urgency and chaos.
Kill Bill vol. 1 - Sure, it's just QT showing off, but I've always liked the shot in the House of Blue Leaves and how different characters "intercept" the camera to lead it to it's next location. Which leads to...
Magnolia - Same deal in the studio, picking up and dropping off multiple characters, getting a feel for the commotion of the show.

Most of those have already been mentioned, and it's a bit odd that they're all recent films, but they are the ones that have stuck with me.

love