love

Author Topic: Top 5 Movie Years  (Read 4349 times)

Wowser

• Elite Member
Re: Top 5 Movie Years
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2008, 06:03:16 AM »

The 400 Blows
Ben Hur
Floating Weeds
North by Northwest
Rio Bravo

In general, I think the 1950s was the best decade for cinema, worldwide, even if just for the fact that all that tweed looked FABULOUS in crisp black in white.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2008, 06:08:26 AM by Marquis Wowser of Lancashire »

samfuller

• Foreigner's Guide to Film Culture in Korea
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2008, 08:33:02 PM »
TOP 5, based on the strength of the top 5 films of each year:

1. 1960: Psycho, Shoot the Piano Player, L'Avventura, Cruel Story of Youth, When a Woman Ascends the Stairs, Peeping Tom

2. 1959: Breathless, 400 Blows, Rio Bravo, Pickpocket, North by Northwest

3. 1973: Mean Streets, Ali: Fear Eats the Soul, The Mother and the Whore, Badlands, Scenes from a Marriage

4. 1946: Notorious, The Big Sleep, Stairway to Heaven, It's a Wonderful Life, The Killers

5. 2000: Code Unknown, Yi Yi, In the Mood for Love, Virgin Stripped Bare by Her Bachelors, Bamboozled

Adam

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Filmspotting
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2008, 03:36:35 PM »
FYI - I've pitched to Matty that we spend the entire month of August on this topic. Our top 5 movie years... each week a different year with the top 5 films from that year.
Follow Filmspotting on Twitter at http://twitter.com/filmspotting

Listen to Filmspotting at https://www.filmspotting.net/ and on Chicago Public Radio (91.5 FM)

mañana

• Objectively Awesome
  • Check your public library
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2008, 03:40:11 PM »
FYI - I've pitched to Matty that we spend the entire month of August on this topic. Our top 5 movie years... each week a different year with the top 5 films from that year.

Sounds good to me. Although we can already predict that 3 of Matty's years would be 1989, 1994, and 1998. All years that a Major League movie was released.
There's no deceit in the cauliflower.

alexarch

• Godfather
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2008, 03:51:57 PM »

duder

• Elite Member
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2008, 06:52:13 PM »

Wowser

• Elite Member
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2008, 07:07:25 PM »
I think he means 3231: that's when Miracle Grow and Godard IV's Titty Bitty were released.

philip918

• Elite Member
Re: Top 5 MoSpvie Years
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2017, 01:11:50 AM »
Beauty and the Beast, Only Yesterday, A Brighter Summer Day, Barton Fink, Silence of the Lambs, Thelma and Louise, Point Break, Cape Fear, Terminator 2, The Fisher King, Boyz in the Hood, Robin Hood, The Addams Family, The Rocketeer, JFK, The Doors, City Slickers, What About Bob?, My Own Private Idaho, Hook, Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey, Naked Lunch, The Double Life of Veronique, Hot Shots!, Once Upon a Time in China, The Naked Gun 2 1/2, Raise the Red Lantern, Night on Earth, The Commitments, New Jack City, Backdraft, Only the Lonely, Jungle Fever, Pure Luck, Mississippi Masala, An American Tale: Fievel Goes West, My Girl, The Last Boy Scout, Bugsy, Father of the Bride, The Prince of Tides, Fried Green Tomatoes, Les Amants de Pont-Neuf, Delicatessen, Don't Tell Mom the Babysitter's Dead, Europa, Fight Back to School, Grand Canyon, Madame Bovary, Riki-oh: The Story of Ricky, Saajan, Shadows and Fog, White Fang

The Royal Tenenbaums, Super Troopers, Memento, Bridget Jones's Diary, A.I. Artificial Intelligence, Legally Blonde, The Others, Zoolander, Training Day, Iron Monkey, Monsters Inc., Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone, Spy Game, Ocean's 11, The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring, In the Bedroom, Ali, Black Hawk Down, All About Lily Chou-Chou, Amelie, Atanarjuat: The Fast Runner, Brotherhood of the Wolf, The Devil's Backbone, Donnie Darko, Elling, Fat Girl, Ghost World, Gosford Park, The Happiness of the Katakuris, Hedwig and the Angry Inch, Ichi the Killer, Iris, Kissing Jessica Stein, Lagaan, The Man Who Wasn't There, Metropolis, Millennium Actress, Millennium Mambo, Monsoon Wedding, Monster's Ball, Moulin Rouge, Mulholland Drive, No Man's Land, One Fine Spring Day, The Piano Teacher, The Pledge, Pulse, Samsara, Shaolin Soccer, Spirited Away, Waking Life, Wet Hot American Summer, What Time Is It There?, Y Tu Mama Tambien

The Abyss, The Adventures of Baron von Munchausen, Akira, As Tears Go By, Beaches, The Bear, Beetlejuice, Big, The Blob, Bull Durham, Child's Play, Chocolat, Cinema Paradiso, Coming to America, Damnation, Dangerous Liaisons, The Dead Pool, Dead Ringers, Die Hard, Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, A Fish Called Wanda, Gorillas in the Mist, Grave of the Fireflies, Hairspray, Heart of Midnight, Heathers, I'm Gonna Git You Sucka, The Land Before Time, The Last Temptation of Christ, Midnight Run, Mississippi Burning, My Neighbor Totoro, The Naked Gun, Night of the Demons, Return to Snowy River, Salaam Bombay!, Scrooged, A Short Film About Killing, A Short Film About Love, Sur, They Live, The Unbearable Lightness of Being, The Vanishing, Who Framed Roger Rabbit?, Willow, Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown

20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, Animal Farm, The Barefoot Contessa, Brigadoon, The Cane Mutiny, Creature from the Black Lagoon, Dial M for Murder, French Cancan, Godzilla, Hobson's Choice, Johnny Guitar, Journey to Italy, Late Chrysanthemums, Rear Window, Riot in Cel Block 11, Sabrina, Samurai I: Musashi Miyamoto, Sansho the Bailiff, Senso, Seven Brides for Seven Brothers, Seven Samurai, Sound of the Mountain, A Star is Born, La Strada, Them!, White Christmas

The American Friend, Annie Hall, A Bridge Too Far, The Chess Players, Close Encounters of the Third Kind, Cross of Iron, Amar Akbar Anthony, The Duellists, Eraserhead, Executioners from Shaolin, The Hills Have Eyes, Hausu, The Iron-Fisted Monk, The Kentucky Fried Movie, The Last Wave, The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh, Martin, New York, New York, Opening Night, Pumping Iron, The Report, Roots, Saturday Night Fever, Slap Shot, Smokey and the Bandit, Soldier of Orange, Sorcerer, Star Wars, Stroszek, Suspiria, That Obscure Object of Desire
« Last Edit: March 19, 2017, 01:06:50 PM by philip918 »

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2017, 05:17:56 AM »
Bumping this up because of the recent podcast episode.
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

love