Author Topic: Top 5 films about America  (Read 2449 times)

wilson1290

Top 5 films about America
« on: June 11, 2006, 05:20:46 PM »
I just watched Born on the 4th of July and am feeling patriotic so how about a top 5 movies about America.

5. Do The Right Thing: This is the film Crash was trying to be, an unflinchingly honest and subtle (subtle, Crash needed more of that) look at racism in a NYC neighborhood. The opposing quotes at the end by two of Americas leading civil rights fighters are genius.
4. The Grapes of Wrath: While it ultimately doesnt acheive the power of the book, (My favorite novel of all time) Ford's film does retain the overall theme of Steinbeck's masterpiece, finding dignity in the most undignified of situations.
3. My Family/ Mi Familia: A heartfelt look at the struggles of a few generations in an imigrant family as they adapt to life in America.
2. Nashville: My favorite Altman film, Nashville offers a funny, touching look at the most American of music, Country. Lily Tomlin is a standout in a true ensemble piece.
1. Brokeback Mountain: A uniquely American love story and western all in one. Its funny but it took a group of foreigners (Ang Lee, Rodrigo Prieto, Gustavo Santoallala, Heath Ledger) to create a true piece of American cinema.
And so we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past."

CSSCHNEIDER

• Elite Member
  • I Shoot Movies, Don't I?
    • http://csschneideraccounts.blogspot.com/
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2006, 05:53:43 PM »
Last of the Mohicans - America was built on the foundation of freedom and it was won by the suffering of many.  Here whites and Native Americans suffer side by side in a struggle to live their own ways.

1776 - Fantastic musical of the signing of the Declaration of Independance.  Educational, fun, and exciting.

Good Night, and Good Luck. - America was again founded on freedom.  Here one of America's greatest heroes takes a stand against one of is greatest villains.

The Right Stuff - Real American Heroes fight the Cold War the good old American way.  Doing something better, faster, higher, and longer.  Shows that adults are really just big kids who want to blow rasberries in the faces of their enemies.  But they'll wave a flag to do it.

The Godfather Trilogy - The American dream sougt after and acheived but at what price?
Taste is discerning, not all encompassing.

It's Not What You're Like, It's What You Like

Know the Difference Between Arts and Crafts

"Pain is Temporary, Film is Forever..." --John Milius

Winner! BFCS Iconoclast Award 2007

alexander

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2006, 07:44:19 PM »
noone has mentioned Stroszek which I think is the penultimate film on the USA