love

Poll

Where do you stand on the directing talent of Darren Aronofsky?

Anytime he makes a movie, there’s a good chance it’ll be a masterpiece.
3 (12.5%)
He is usually great and certainly one of our Best Directors.
12 (50%)
Him and his films are okay.
3 (12.5%)
I admire his talent a lot more than his films.
3 (12.5%)
He's annoyingly pretentious.
3 (12.5%)

Total Members Voted: 24

Author Topic: The Top Directors Working Today: Darren Aronofsky  (Read 3456 times)

zarodinu

• Elite Member
  • What we've got here is failure to communicate
Re: The Top Directors Working Today: Darren Aronofsky
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2008, 05:53:29 PM »
I think his direction is alot of style and little substance.  He makes good movies for sure, but I wonder how good he would be if you rob him of camera tricks and special effects.  Nothing is wrong with style, but there has to be something more than fancy cinematography to a movie.  Stripped of the camerawork, Requiem for a Dream would be the a pedestrian "drugs are bad" story.

He is aslo suffering from an acute case of pretension.  Not surprising when you are hailed as a genius after two films.  With the Fountain he tried to will a new 2001, or Anrei Rublev, or Seventh Seal into existence, he obviously failed in that regard (though the film is not as bad as some claim).  I wish he would go back to the drawing board and try to create something small and unambitious, you got to create a small masterpiece like Winter Light before you can create an epic like Seventh Seal (unless you are Bergman in which case you dont).       
I’ve lied to men who wear belts. I’ve lied to men who wear suspenders. But I’d never be so stupid as to lie to a man who wears both a belt and suspenders.

¡Keith!

• Objectively Awesome
  • Bitch, I been around since LimeWire.
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2008, 11:58:47 PM »
True but with the camera techniques and PHENOMENAL SCORES working in concert with the plot bothe RfaD & Pi are amazing pieces of contemporary cinema.

The Fountain I still consider bastardized as he wasn't able, for many many reasons, to make the film he wanted.  Would have liked to see his Batman but alas that is not to be.

karlwinslow

• Elite Member
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2008, 12:26:17 AM »
PHENOMENAL SCORES

mansell is a genius

Tequila

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2008, 01:36:38 AM »
One should probably mention that the conversation has moved here.
'What am I doing? I'm quietly judging you'
http://letterboxd.com/Tagave/

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • If I keep digging maybe I will get out of this hol
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2010, 04:16:35 AM »
Apparently this topic moved unpopular opinions, but what ever. Went with Great. I must see more of his work.

love