Author Topic: Pet Peeves  (Read 710085 times)

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
  • “By any seeds necessary.”
    • justAtad
Re: Pet Peeves
« Reply #1660 on: December 08, 2009, 09:53:51 PM »
Please don't compare street sanitation to cleaning up a theater. Did I say I threw my garbage all over the floor?
And before you start calling people names (like pig) little hamster - ask yourself if I am being serious with you or joking?

I thought you were being serious, Marty.

Yeah. You seemed serious enough to me.

Also, why is street sanitation any different, ignore for a minute the illegalities of littering? It's a public environment like any other. And when I get complaints from people who are waiting to get into their theatre to sit down, but they can't because it's taking us 15 minutes to clean a 200-seat theatre, I want to go out and yell at everyone to simply never a mess and then there would be no such problem. Leaving crap is disrespectful to the public, not just to the people cleaning.

Today me and another worker were cleaning up Old Dogs. It wasn't too messy and it took us little time, but there was one couple who decided to stay through the credits. This happens sometimes and we are not allow to ask them to leave or even do the courtesy of moving so we can more quickly clean the floor under them. We waited patiently behind them for the credits to finish and then they still took their sweet time getting up. Once they were gone we saw two bags of popcorn and a couple drinks as well as a mess of napkins. I can forgive the napkins. Those fall on the floor, and it can be a little icky to pick them up again. But why could they not simply pick up their cups and popcorn? Just because we are there? It's not nice, and it smack of a certain kind of arrogance quite frankly. You help me, I help you, and in the end the moviegoing experience is better for us all.

Nope not serious but for the money we pay to see a film - I think we are entitled to some sort of service - a foot rub or the fetching of dry cleaning would suffice.

If I come see a film in your joint hamster - you gonna rub my feet?

I get that it's expensive to go see a movie. It's also all relative. Going to see a film at the cinema is still a cheaper experience than doing most other paid activities outside the house. You are entitled to exactly the services that we provide, and lucky for me, foot rubs aren't part of that.
"We didn't clean the hamster's cage, the hamster's cage cleaned us!"

Can't get enough FroHam? Read more of my musings at justAtad

OmNom

• Elite Member
  • They mostly come at night. Mostly.
« Reply #1661 on: December 08, 2009, 10:08:00 PM »
I get that it's expensive to go see a movie. It's also all relative. Going to see a film at the cinema is still a cheaper experience than doing most other paid activities outside the house. You are entitled to exactly the services that we provide, and lucky for me, foot rubs aren't part of that.

Bummer... I would totally tip for that.   ;D

(I wouldn't really make you rub my feet... I do wish I could visit and watch a movie with ya, though. That'd be cool!  Someday a bunch of us should all go on a Filmspotting Trek, and go around and hang out everywhere.)
The answers you seek are in Norway.

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
    • justAtad
« Reply #1662 on: December 08, 2009, 10:11:24 PM »

(I wouldn't really make you rub my feet... I do wish I could visit and watch a movie with ya, though. That'd be cool!  Someday a bunch of us should all go on a Filmspotting Trek, and go around and hang out everywhere.)

Where are do you live?

OmNom

• Elite Member
  • They mostly come at night. Mostly.
« Reply #1663 on: December 08, 2009, 10:14:59 PM »

Where are do you live?

I live in a place people don't really like to visit.  >:(   

Unless you ski.  Or you go to Sundance?   :D  Hey!  I live near Sundance!  I have a decent-sized house... Visit!  Everyone can visit. 

Where do you live?  Canada, right?
The answers you seek are in Norway.

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
    • justAtad
« Reply #1664 on: December 08, 2009, 10:23:14 PM »

Where are do you live?

I live in a place people don't really like to visit.  >:(   

Unless you ski.  Or you go to Sundance?   :D  Hey!  I live near Sundance!  I have a decent-sized house... Visit!  Everyone can visit. 

Where do you live?  Canada, right?

lol. I guess you haven't been exposed much to my near-constant hyping-up of Toronto, The City of Godliness. I would totally go to Sundance if I could afford such things.

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #1665 on: December 09, 2009, 12:19:35 AM »
My wife has worked for minimum wage in a laundromat for years.  Her employer can't afford to pay her more, although she works hard and has good skills in hand-folding clothes and dealing with customers.  There is no tip jar there, but the employees there both deserve and need extra money.

A tip jar is not a social requirement, like tipping a waiter/waitress.  It is an opportunity to grant someone who does good work a tiny percentage closer to the wage they actually deserve.  If you choose not to grant them that, or think they don't deserve it, that's fine.  But I think all places with minimum wage workers should have tip jars.  Including theatre workers.

Having worked for years for tips, I feel as though I can speak out on this subject with some degree of experience.
I certainly don't feel as though I need to be pressured in any way shape or form to make up some one's wages because they are working for someone who is not (or cannot) pay them what they are worth. I usually do tip in case you are wondering but it doesn't change the fact that I feel as though it's not necessary at the corner taco stand or (as I said before) Starbucks (those people get good benefits). I worked for yrs at McDonald's in high school but I never expected or even asked for a tip.

Go wait tables, park cars or work the coat room of you want a tip - there I said it.

Or, in other words, "I shouldn't have to feel guilty about your minimum wage job that doesn't pay for your family's needs unless it is a traditional task that a hundred years ago was recognized as deserving some extra help.  If you work at both Wall-Mart and Starbucks to make ends meet, sucks to be you."
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

ˇKeith!

• Objectively Awesome
  • Bitch, I been around since LimeWire.
« Reply #1666 on: December 09, 2009, 12:27:11 AM »
bathroom attendants

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
    • justAtad
« Reply #1667 on: December 09, 2009, 12:29:47 AM »
I don't like tipping and as such I never expect tips. It is the waitress' job to bring me my meal and serve me in an appropriate fashion. Why does she deserve extra payment for doing her job? I would much sooner want to tip the people who actually did a good job cooking my food. I still tip at a restaurant, mostly because I don't want to get smacked, but partly because I know wages are actually lower when for them when tips are discounted.

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #1668 on: December 09, 2009, 12:35:14 AM »
I don't like tipping and as such I never expect tips. It is the waitress' job to bring me my meal and serve me in an appropriate fashion. Why does she deserve extra payment for doing her job? I would much sooner want to tip the people who actually did a good job cooking my food. I still tip at a restaurant, mostly because I don't want to get smacked, but partly because I know wages are actually lower when for them when tips are discounted.

It would be better if everyone got paid a livable wage.  But that won't happen.  Because economies reward wealthy people who are cheapskates.  So it is up to good citizens everywhere to pay what they can.

I wish that we could also pay according to lifestyle.  If a young person is living at home and they have a job to pay for their DVDs, perhaps they should get tipped a little less than the person who is raising three kids on their salary.  But that would be too personal to ask, and inappropriate. 

Sigh.  The world still isn't perfect.  Oh well, got to keep going on...
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

flieger

« Reply #1669 on: December 09, 2009, 01:18:23 AM »
I hear ya, stevekimes.

I hope people have read Nickeled and Dimed, or Down and Out in Paris and London.
Great books about, well, the experience of poorness.