love

Author Topic: Pet Peeves  (Read 709939 times)

oneaprilday

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • "What we see and what we seem are but a dream."
    • A Journal of Film
Re: Pet Peeves
« Reply #1760 on: December 11, 2009, 02:48:29 PM »
When a student tells me, "I have always been quite a good writer in my life." (Oh, well! The D's this past quarter were just a fluke, I guess. My bad.)

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #1761 on: December 11, 2009, 03:02:43 PM »
When a student tells me, "I have always been quite a good writer in my life." (Oh, well! The D's this past quarter were just a fluke, I guess. My bad.)

They tell you that? Odd. I think I'm a halfway decent writer, but you have to have some stones to tell someone who is grading you that you have always been a good writer, it just seems condescending or something. Put them in their place, oad!

Steven O. Selsnik

• Elite Member
  • I don't mind a parasite.Iobject to a cut-rate one
« Reply #1762 on: December 11, 2009, 03:06:21 PM »
I am quite the opposite. I think everything I write is garbage. I have tried to write for a 1 act play competition here for three years now and end up throwing out what I write.

alexarch

• Godfather
« Reply #1763 on: December 11, 2009, 03:11:41 PM »
I would pay money to see you actually lay that response on a student.

I don't think I ever went to my college teachers to ask for a higher grade. I think I always assumed I deserved a grade lower than the one I received. The only times I had grades that were dependent on the judgment of the teacher I received As and Bs. Those were my architecture classes, and, like I said, I was thankful. All my other classes were graded via multiple-choice tests.

mañana

• Objectively Awesome
  • Check your public library
« Reply #1764 on: December 11, 2009, 03:20:14 PM »
I don't think I ever went to my college teachers to ask for a higher grade.
I have, but only when I genuinely thought my paper was strong, I wasn't pulling this bratty crap OAD is dealing with.
There's no deceit in the cauliflower.

¡Keith!

• Objectively Awesome
  • Bitch, I been around since LimeWire.
« Reply #1765 on: December 11, 2009, 03:21:55 PM »
did you make him give an oral presentation on why grade grubbing is wrong?

OmNom

• Elite Member
  • They mostly come at night. Mostly.
« Reply #1766 on: December 11, 2009, 03:25:15 PM »

Maybe s/he meant "handwriting."   :D

Keep up the good work, oad... Not too much longer and then it's vacation time!  
The answers you seek are in Norway.

oneaprilday

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • "What we see and what we seem are but a dream."
    • A Journal of Film
« Reply #1767 on: December 11, 2009, 03:52:39 PM »
It really is surprising how many students have told me something akin to what this particular writer has said - usually some variation on that or "I've always gotten A's in English." I'm really baffled by what they think telling me that will accomplish.

Ironically, it's usually the best writers who tell me they're struggling, who tell me, rather shamefacedly, they're really dissatisfied with what they've turned in to me and that they know they can do better. In fact, three of my four A/A- students this quarter said as much to me this past week.

mañana

• Objectively Awesome
  • Check your public library
« Reply #1768 on: December 11, 2009, 03:55:46 PM »
It really is surprising how many students have told me something akin to what this particular writer has said - usually some variation on that or "I've always gotten A's in English." I'm really baffled by what they think telling me that will accomplish.
Are you teaching first year?
There's no deceit in the cauliflower.

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
  • Oo-da-lolly, Oo-da-lolly, golly what a day!
    • Corndog Chats
« Reply #1769 on: December 11, 2009, 03:56:40 PM »
great students are always striving to achieve higher whereas mediocre students are okay with mediocre work
"Time is the speed at which the past decays."