love

Author Topic: Pet Peeves  (Read 709882 times)

oneaprilday

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • "What we see and what we seem are but a dream."
    • A Journal of Film
Re: Pet Peeves
« Reply #1850 on: December 16, 2009, 05:07:28 PM »
When I have to respond to a holdup in progress on a day I decided not to wear my vest.  (It all turned out fine)
Yikes! Glad you're OK.

(It's posts like these that remind me how thankful I am - or should be - for people like you.)

Clovis8

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #1851 on: December 16, 2009, 05:09:58 PM »
When I have to respond to a holdup in progress on a day I decided not to wear my vest.  (It all turned out fine)

Who the hell robs someone at Christmas! Glad you are ok. Wear that damn vest!  ;D

skjerva

• Godfather
  • I'm your audience.
« Reply #1852 on: December 16, 2009, 05:12:14 PM »

Who the hell robs someone at Christmas! Glad you are ok. Wear that damn vest!  ;D

someone who wants money.  christmas seems about the perfect time to want more money than usual with all the expectations to givegivegive and getgetget
But I wish the public could, in the midst of its pleasures, see how blatantly it is being spoon-fed, and ask for slightly better dreams. 
                        - Iris Barry from "The Public's Pleasure" (1926)

Basil

• Godfather
  • Entrepreneur, spiritualist, healer.
« Reply #1853 on: December 16, 2009, 05:23:00 PM »
That's the spirit!
A$AP Fables

roujin

• Objectively Awesome
  • it's all research
« Reply #1854 on: December 16, 2009, 05:23:31 PM »
Buying things.

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #1855 on: December 16, 2009, 07:03:23 PM »

these things are colorblind-ist!!    ::)

Ferris I have a question for you. What happens when you go see a movie in 3d? Does it um... work?

Colleen

• Hot Fuzz
  • Godfather
  • Let's be careful out there!
« Reply #1856 on: December 16, 2009, 09:59:56 PM »

Robberies go up at Christmas.  People are more likely to be carrying large amounts of cash on them; stores are more likely to have larger than usual amounts of cash on hand and sometimes are too busy to make drops into the safe so better odds of getting a big "score". 

Burglaries go up, too.  The week or so before xmas and week or so after are bad for a couple of reasons:  expensive gifts in the house (I've gone to burglaries where teh thieves literally ripped open every present under the tree and stole the electronics and jewelry), week after xmas when people put boxes from the new flat screen tv or x-box out on the curb (don't do this!).  Plus kids are out of school for both those weeks and burglaries and thefts always go up when school's out.

Anyway the robbery the other night was a stupid one--guy goes up to the drive thru at Checker's (fast food place with no inside service, drive through or walk up only) shows a gun and tells the cashier to give him all the money.  Instead she yells to the other employees that he has a gun and they all run to the back area where there are no windows and cinderblock walls.  Guy runs away with no money.  Description was extremely vague and employees were totally uninterested in talking to us once the crisis was over. 

I was on my way out to that side of town for something else and happened to be a block away when the call came out so I responded.  The day before I'd been stuck at my desk doing paperwork all night and was very uncomfortable in my vest and last night looked like more of the same, so I had decided not to bother with it.  I'm wearing it today :)

Steven O. Selsnik

• Elite Member
  • I don't mind a parasite.Iobject to a cut-rate one
« Reply #1857 on: December 17, 2009, 08:39:21 AM »

week after xmas when people put boxes from the new flat screen tv or x-box out on the curb (don't do this!). 
any spensive stuff, which is rare, i chuck it in the carboard container behind the local bakery. technically illegal but safer for my home.

OmNom

• Elite Member
  • They mostly come at night. Mostly.
« Reply #1858 on: December 17, 2009, 08:45:38 AM »

week after xmas when people put boxes from the new flat screen tv or x-box out on the curb (don't do this!). 
any spensive stuff, which is rare, i chuck it in the carboard container behind the local bakery. technically illegal but safer for my home.

So you're the guy!  :D

My in-laws own a bakery, and one of their major pet peeves is how other people fill up their dumpsters. 
The answers you seek are in Norway.

Steven O. Selsnik

• Elite Member
  • I don't mind a parasite.Iobject to a cut-rate one
« Reply #1859 on: December 17, 2009, 08:52:37 AM »

So you're the guy!  :D

My in-laws own a bakery, and one of their major pet peeves is how other people fill up their dumpsters. 

that's because we all had a cop once tell us not to put it in front of our house.  ;)

love