love

Author Topic: Pet Peeves  (Read 709917 times)

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
  • “By any seeds necessary.”
    • justAtad
Re: Pet Peeves
« Reply #1940 on: December 28, 2009, 05:06:37 PM »
There's no sense ignoring. I'm not saying anything just to be inflammatory. I'm just stating my own opinions and my very specific issues with many aspects of the film. I'm just going along with the discussion, and I remind everyone that I did enjoy it and I do recommend that people see it and that they see it in 3D and on IMAX where possible.
"We didn't clean the hamster's cage, the hamster's cage cleaned us!"

Can't get enough FroHam? Read more of my musings at justAtad

Melvil

• Godfather
  • Eek
« Reply #1941 on: December 28, 2009, 08:16:22 PM »
That probably explains why much like /Film I've been ignoring everything you say about the film.  :)

Why is /Film ignoring froham?

:P

Bill Thompson

• Objectively Awesome
  • DOOM!!!!
    • Bill's Movie Emporium
« Reply #1942 on: December 28, 2009, 08:18:29 PM »
There's no sense ignoring. I'm not saying anything just to be inflammatory. I'm just stating my own opinions and my very specific issues with many aspects of the film. I'm just going along with the discussion, and I remind everyone that I did enjoy it and I do recommend that people see it and that they see it in 3D and on IMAX where possible.

Because frankly I don't think your arguments make a lick of sense, and much like /Film sound more idiotic and being different just for the sake of being different than anything else. However, I don't want to start anything/be abrasive, or get into a long debate about it, so I just ignore what you say about the film instead.

Clovis8

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #1943 on: December 28, 2009, 08:24:36 PM »

Because frankly I don't think your arguments make a lick of sense, and much like /Film sound more idiotic and being different just for the sake of being different than anything else. However, I don't want to start anything/be abrasive, or get into a long debate about it, so I just ignore what you say about the film instead.

To be fair Froham is hardly the the only person not calling it perfect. In fact, I would say from my reading of other boards, this board, and critics the VAST majority are saying the film looks great but is pretty pedestrian otherwise.

Those like yourself who think the plot and characters are perfect are in the small minority.

Bill Thompson

• Objectively Awesome
  • DOOM!!!!
    • Bill's Movie Emporium
« Reply #1944 on: December 28, 2009, 08:26:19 PM »

To be fair Froham is hardly the the only person not calling it perfect. In fact, I would say from my reading of other boards, this board, and critics the VAST majority are saying the film looks great but is pretty pedestrian otherwise.

Those like yourself who think the plot and characters are perfect are in the small minority.

Like I said about /Film I have no problem with people voicing problems with the film, where I have a problem with Froham and /Film is both the way they are phrasing their issues and the fact that a lot of thier arguments sound like being different just to be different, specifically the "the film doesn't look that good" argument.

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
  • “By any seeds necessary.”
    • justAtad
« Reply #1945 on: December 28, 2009, 08:43:51 PM »
Allow me to me be as non-confrontational as possible in my argument about the visuals in the film:

In my opinion, and it is mine alone, I found the technical aspects of the visuals exhilarating for the most part. There is definitely a beauty to seeing a completely CGI world so fully rendered as to make one forget its virtuality. But in terms of cinematography, I found the lighting and camera to be relatively paint-by-numbers for the production. I also found that the lighting was often employed poorly enough to make certain CGI shots appear nearly 100% real, while other shots felt far too manufactured and thus lost that stunning effect. The shots tend to be fairly conventional, and rarely is anything too interesting done with the camera that hasn't been done in other huge effects films or computer animated films. I also personally didn't care for the production design. I get that he wanted to show the world all that bio-luminescence stuff he discovered under the sea, but he often went way overboard with it and instead of wowing me it simply looked fake and took me out of the film. I could go on about the writing and the story, but my problems with those aspects of the film are far greater and more complex so I'll save you that.

I really don't see how I, or David Chen (not /Film, do not confuse them) were phrasing our issues just to sound different. David Chen voiced an opinion on the varying quality of the CGi that I most definitely agree with and his co-host unfortunately ganged up on him so that he, once again, was unable to explain his point properly and comprehensibly.
"We didn't clean the hamster's cage, the hamster's cage cleaned us!"

Can't get enough FroHam? Read more of my musings at justAtad

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
  • Oo-da-lolly, Oo-da-lolly, golly what a day!
    • Corndog Chats
« Reply #1946 on: December 28, 2009, 09:21:21 PM »
When your dad doesn't show TWO of his cards in a game of Clue, thereby throwing everybody off as to who has what and who what and where it could be. I still won, but how do you have TWO of the three cards and fail to show them?
"Time is the speed at which the past decays."

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #1947 on: December 29, 2009, 12:26:51 AM »
The CGI in Avatar is pretty great, the one sequence that doesn't work is the first completely day time sequence on Pandora, though even that picks up about halfway through. The problem, visually, with the film, is that is does not use enough wideshots.

Anyhow, my Pet Peeves are friends who make you stand in line for them while they look at a magazine. There was a Seventeen Prom Magazine that I'm pretty sure had Selena on the cover. Now how will I know what my perfect dress will look like?

IDrinkYourMilkshake

• Elite Member
  • a souless automaton who can't feel any emotion
« Reply #1948 on: December 29, 2009, 09:33:07 AM »
Littering. I hate people that throw even the smallest sweet wrapper on the floor. I think it says a lot about your character, all of it bad.

BE WARNED!!!!  >:(
"What should have been an enjoyable 90 minutes of nubile, high-school flesh meeting a frenzy of blood-caked blades, becomes instead an exploitational and complex parable of the conflicting demands of agrarianism and artistry. I voted a miss."

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #1949 on: December 29, 2009, 09:40:26 AM »
Littering. I hate people that throw even the smallest sweet wrapper on the floor. I think it says a lot about your character, all of it bad.

BE WARNED!!!!  >:(

Cigarette butts included, right?

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad