Author Topic: Pet Peeves  (Read 710000 times)

Holly Harry

• Elite Member
  • Bite my shiny metal...Well, you know.
Re: Pet Peeves
« Reply #2330 on: January 30, 2010, 11:59:44 AM »
Um, people who don't recognize the genius of the Metal Gear Solid series as being the high water mark of all cultural accomplishments in the past 20 years.

You and Hideo should have a talk about this.
"Political questions, if you go back thousands of years, are ephemeral, not important. History is the same thing over and over again."-Woody Allen.

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #2331 on: January 30, 2010, 12:00:47 PM »
Um, people who don't recognize the genius of the Metal Gear Solid series as being the high water mark of all cultural accomplishments in the past 20 years.

You and Hideo should have a talk about this.

Sometimes even the artists don't initially see or recognize their genius. That's what Ebert says about Duck Soup, right?

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #2332 on: February 01, 2010, 01:20:59 PM »
"I'll let you go" as a phone call-ending phrase.

pixote

My friend really hates the call-ending phrase, "I'm going to get off now".  She says it creates unpleasant images in her mind.

She also hates it when parents say they're going to "put down" their kids.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
  • Oo-da-lolly, Oo-da-lolly, golly what a day!
    • Corndog Chats
« Reply #2333 on: February 02, 2010, 05:27:52 PM »
When friends waste your time.

4:30 - Want to go to dinner about 5ish?
Me: I shouldn't but who is going?
Friend 1: [some of your other friends]
Me: Ok, I guess

5:00 - Why aren't we leaving yet?
Friend 2: Friend 1 isn't here yet.

5:30 - Friend 1 is here, we'll be over in a couple minutes (they live like 3-5 minutes away)

5:45 - Thanks for wasting my time, have fun (I should have said this already, but kept giving them more time)
5:50 - We're here, come down.
Me: I've already started making something. But thanks for wasting an hour and a half of my time.

For context, a friend is coming over at 8 to watch movie for her Spanish film class, and meanwhile, I have some extended lesson plans due tomorrow that I really need to work on. So basically had they told me it would be 6, I could have either said no upfront or worked on my homework, but since I thought I only had 30 minutes, I didn't start anything, but ended up sitting around doing nothing for another hour after the thirty.

My friends are probably mad at me for being mad at them because they don't understand, but I'm over it.
"Time is the speed at which the past decays."

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
    • Corndog Chats
« Reply #2334 on: February 02, 2010, 07:40:13 PM »
And now my friend's not going to be here until 9 because apparently she had to go to a friends birthday dinner and it went long.

Honestly people, my time clearly doesn't mean anything. Use it as your own, I don't need it. Please, just take it, take all you want.

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #2335 on: February 03, 2010, 02:10:34 AM »
Two:

When asking somebody if they want to come out to join for drinks or dinner and then they ask "who else is going?"   If I am organizing a party or gathering, I will tend to ask everybody and not exclude.  If I find person A has a problem being around person B... but person B really has no problem with person A.. then I will just start inviting B then as I think the issue is with A.

Asking somebody if they want to do something later in the week and then being told, "can I let you know later."  Usually it is a yes or no question and if you have something else in the works that may or may not happen... just say you can't as you already have plans.  Usually I will go plan something else if I get this type of mixed response.  If they come back later and see they are free I then usually say that I am not as I made already made other plans.

"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

Basil

• Godfather
  • Entrepreneur, spiritualist, healer.
« Reply #2336 on: February 03, 2010, 02:11:53 AM »
And now my friend's not going to be here until 9 because apparently she had to go to a friends birthday dinner and it went long.

Honestly people, my time clearly doesn't mean anything. Use it as your own, I don't need it. Please, just take it, take all you want.

Sorry Corndog. Sounds like a frustrating evening.
A$AP Fables

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #2337 on: February 03, 2010, 08:24:13 AM »
Thinking I was living a 27 hour day today only to find out that Big C knew I couldn't actually take his time.

Have you student taught yet? Or is that what you're doing now? It's a tough college time because people tend to forget that schools open at like 7.

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
    • Corndog Chats
« Reply #2338 on: February 03, 2010, 08:25:27 AM »
Thinking I was living a 27 hour day today only to find out that Big C knew I couldn't actually take his time.

Have you student taught yet? Or is that what you're doing now? It's a tough college time because people tend to forget that schools open at like 7.

Yea, I go mondays fridays and have classes the rest of the week.

mañana

• Objectively Awesome
  • Check your public library
« Reply #2339 on: February 03, 2010, 01:03:56 PM »
Haircut day.
There's no deceit in the cauliflower.

love