Author Topic: Pet Peeves  (Read 391753 times)

tinyholidays

• Elite Member
  • It's a hard world for little things.
Re: Pet Peeves
« Reply #3080 on: June 02, 2010, 02:32:41 PM »
The two animated .gifs that always brighten my day are "Mad Men lawnmower" and "Larry David's fake faint"

That lawnmower .gif is a king of .gifs. In fact, half of my favorite .gifs are from Mad Men. But I don't tend to use them outside of Mad Men situations, since they tend to be spoilery. There's one of Betty vomiting that is just so very, very perfect.

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
  • "Anime is for jerks."
    • Creative Criticism
« Reply #3081 on: June 02, 2010, 02:59:55 PM »
The direction of this thread.

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
  • "Bravo Vincent....Bravo!"
« Reply #3082 on: June 02, 2010, 09:19:21 PM »
FLAKES

I wish people walked around with a 'fickle-factor' percentage hovering over their heads - this way I know who to make plans with and who not to make plans with...

If I may go "get-off-my-lawn" for a moment: 

PEOPLE! Have respect for the words that come out of your mouth.  If you commit to showing up then show-up.   If you are one of these people that constantly have unanticipated interruptions at the last minute, that simply STOP COMMITING to things.

and whenever you utter the words "it's no big deal" - kindly add the words "...to me - and I don't care what anyone else thinks" to the end of it.

(14 people committed for tonight.  5 people showed.   Glad I spent $250 out of my own pocket to get the bigger room.)
"And if thou refuse to let them go, behold, I will smite all thy borders with frogs" - Exodus 8:2 KJV
(switchboard)

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #3083 on: June 02, 2010, 09:28:03 PM »
Friggin' hotels:

HOTEL IRONS:

Red rusty water dribbled out of the iron and onto my $65 new pair of chinos.  Before I realized it I baked in the stain.  Only brought two pairs of work pants on the trip. 

Oh and hotel designers, please please PLEASE consider the length of the average iron cord, the placement of the outlets and the available real estate to errect a standard size ironing board.

SHOWER FAUCET HEIGHT:

Why is every hotel shower faucet 4 feet high?  I don't want to have to wash my all-together and do the limbo at the same time.

LIGHT SWITCH:
Again - hotel architect - when people walk into a dark room they've never been in before they will intuitively run their hand along the inside wall of the room just to the right of the door jam.  You might want to consider this as a good place for a light switch.  A bad place is the little knob on the lamp on the night-side table.  Just sayin'

HANGERS:
Ok - a large percentage of hotel guests are business travellers.  If a business traveler is staying for a week, they likely need two or more pants hangers and 5 shirt hangers.  That's a total of 7 hangers.  You might consider having more than four hangers in the room. 
"And if thou refuse to let them go, behold, I will smite all thy borders with frogs" - Exodus 8:2 KJV
(switchboard)

ˇKeith!

• Objectively Awesome
  • Bitch, I been around since LimeWire.
« Reply #3084 on: June 02, 2010, 09:34:48 PM »
what chain do you frequent again?  (though yeah - I always test the iron first)

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #3085 on: June 02, 2010, 10:06:18 PM »
what chain do you frequent again?  (though yeah - I always test the iron first)

La Quinta's tend to be pretty consistant....I'm in a Holiday Inn this time.  (Holiday Inn Expresses seem to be pretty decent as well)

But I have yet to get a hotel to go each of the following correct:
(the aforementioned)
1)  Iron / Outlet configuration
2)  Lightswitch Placement
3)  Shower faucet height
4) # of hangers

as well as the obvious:
5) TV works ok (doesn't have to be great)
6) WiFi signal has more than two bars
7) Mattress doesn't feel like an refrigerator box
8) completely roach free
9) no smells of human decay
10) no leftover pizza boxes under the bed
11) no used coffee filter left in coffee maker
12) No gaping hole in the ceiling tile above the shower

(I mentioned all of these for a specific reason)
(switchboard)

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #3086 on: June 02, 2010, 10:16:33 PM »
what chain do you frequent again?  (though yeah - I always test the iron first)

8) completely roach free
9) no smells of human decay

Now I know you are just being picky;)

Last year I spent about 5 months in a 5 star hotel for work (usually about 1 month at a time and then a short trip home).  Everything was good but the card key which stopped working about every 3rd day.  So they all knew me very well as I kept coming down to get the card key replaced.

Then one day I came back to the hotel and tried to open the door and the card key worked but then the door latch was locked from the inside ???

I called from the phone at the elevator to send somebody up, they asked me to come down to exchange the key.  I said no, you need to come up.  They tried to open the door and then very very confused so then they had to get an engineer to open the door (take off the handle, use something to move the latch away). 

It must have been ghosts...
"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #3087 on: June 02, 2010, 10:22:06 PM »
freaky!
(switchboard)

ˇKeith!

• Objectively Awesome
  • Bitch, I been around since LimeWire.
« Reply #3088 on: June 02, 2010, 10:34:18 PM »
srsly, you need them to start spring for Hiltons.

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #3089 on: June 02, 2010, 10:39:34 PM »
srsly, you need them to start spring for Hiltons.

Yeah I hear the shower faucets are 4 1/2 feet up :)
(switchboard)