Author Topic: Pet Peeves  (Read 710185 times)

St. Martin the Bald

• Lurker
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
Re: Pet Peeves
« Reply #140 on: September 26, 2008, 06:53:30 PM »
I live in Phoenix AZ where all they did was knock down any old building to make way for progress. The result?
A city that looks like it was stamped out of cardboard with nothing but soulless new buildings that have to real architectural elements to them. Old building give a city its soul and it's far better from a sustainability point of view to rehab a standing building than to knock it down and create an even bigger carbon footprint building another.
Progress is nothing unless you know where you came from - mixing the old with the new, giving run building new life is the sign of a healthy and responsible urban renewal program.

I am jealous of you - everything looks the same out here. :D
Hey, nice marmot!

Colleen

• Hot Fuzz
  • Godfather
  • Let's be careful out there!
« Reply #141 on: September 26, 2008, 07:29:11 PM »
"I am a dominate male..."

oneaprilday

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • "What we see and what we seem are but a dream."
    • A Journal of Film
« Reply #142 on: September 26, 2008, 07:35:21 PM »
Parents who try to micromanage their children's college experience (and ban the readings on my syllabus  >:( )

ses

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Sarah's Kitchen Adventures
« Reply #143 on: September 26, 2008, 07:39:02 PM »
Parents who try to micromanage their children's college experience (and ban the readings on my syllabus  >:( )

What?  What reading?
"It's a fool who looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart"

http://sarahskitchenadventures.blogspot.com/

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #144 on: September 26, 2008, 07:45:32 PM »
That is CINECAST!ed up, OAD. Seriously.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

worm@work

• Godfather
« Reply #145 on: September 26, 2008, 07:48:20 PM »
Yeah, completely ridiculous. What's the reading?

oneaprilday

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • "What we see and what we seem are but a dream."
    • A Journal of Film
« Reply #146 on: September 26, 2008, 07:54:22 PM »
It's a web essay about the way that women are negatively portrayed in advertising, and I can't figure out what's offensive in it - maybe the word "sex"? My student said, "My parents read this, and they don't want me to read it." ? ? ?

Here's the link: "This Is Not Sex"

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #147 on: September 26, 2008, 10:38:59 PM »

Being the son of two professors they are smart enough to leave me alone.

If a parent has to hold their kid's hand through college why are they in college to begin with?

Life would be much better if stupid people got job as janitors instead of getting degrees and then working in administration... ;D

jbissell

• Objectively Awesome
  • What's up, hot dog?
« Reply #148 on: September 26, 2008, 10:51:57 PM »

Life would be much better if stupid people got job as janitors instead of getting degrees and then working in administration... ;D

The Service Employees International Union (SEIU) appreciates your support!

ˇKeith!

• Objectively Awesome
  • Bitch, I been around since LimeWire.
« Reply #149 on: September 27, 2008, 12:28:52 AM »
I live in Phoenix AZ where all they did was knock down any old building to make way for progress. The result?
A city that looks like it was stamped out of cardboard with nothing but soulless new buildings that have to real architectural elements to them. Old building give a city its soul and it's far better from a sustainability point of view to rehab a standing building than to knock it down and create an even bigger carbon footprint building another.
Progress is nothing unless you know where you came from - mixing the old with the new, giving run building new life is the sign of a healthy and responsible urban renewal program.

I am jealous of you - everything looks the same out here. :D

But they do the same thing in NYC - I find that soul comes from proper planning and population not from oldness.  Philly was beholden to the past for nearly 50 years when no building was built over the height of the statue of William Penn above City Hall - it makes a city bland and ugly and frankly proliferated an inferiority complex. Once a city has an idea of itself that guides the plan the soul can flow from that under solid leadership - a good friend of mine works for public art creation in Phoenix and continues to say that its the simple lack of history and culture that leads to this blandness.  Sure old buildings give a sense of history but only if they are useful as buildings in and of themselves.  If you are just holding a candle for the past be forbidding the destruction of the useless and impeding progress as opposed to creating a sense of history.