love

Author Topic: Pet Peeves  (Read 709963 times)

StarCarly

• Elite Member
  • Something about a pillow.
Re: Pet Peeves
« Reply #1240 on: October 29, 2009, 10:56:51 PM »
Pre-heating.

Myth unless you are baking. I never pre-heat for meats or vegetables etc.
Mostly - if it ain't cooked by the required time - I just leave it to cook a little longer!

There are however a couple of items that need pre-heating to get the best results - usually puffy things like Yorkshire puddings, puff pastry, and sponges need to go into a hot oven, and roast pork gets much more crackly if you heat it fast for the first 20 minutes, and then turn the heat down.

More cooking tips next week on Ovenspotting

hahaha Good tips! I was making chicken nuggets, so I'm not sure it applies in this case.  :D
"I've been very lonely in my isolated tower of indecipherable speech."

Films Watched in 2017

Letterboxd

Tim

• Elite Member
  • Be excellent to each other
« Reply #1241 on: October 29, 2009, 11:16:05 PM »
I can guess one of pix's pet peeves...
Well, that post was prompted by a PM...

But yes.

pixote

It's certainly one of my pet peeves.  Quote the text, but don't quote the large pics, please.  (This complaint does no good and I know it.)  And yes, I did take a large pic out of a quoted post yesterday.  It took up 1/2 a page!

so is it the image size that is the issue, or is it re-referencing images - because I have been resizing images to like 100 pixels recently rather than deleting them if I quote them.

"Only cinema narrows its concern down to its content, that is to its story. It should, instead, concern itself with its form, its structure." Peter Greenaway

Tim

• Elite Member
  • Be excellent to each other
« Reply #1242 on: October 29, 2009, 11:17:24 PM »
Pre-heating.

Mostly - if it ain't cooked by the required time - I just leave it to cook a little longer!

There are however a couple of items that need pre-heating to get the best results - usually puffy things like Yorkshire puddings, puff pastry, and sponges need to go into a hot oven, and roast pork gets much more crackly if you heat it fast for the first 20 minutes, and then turn the heat down.

hahaha Good tips! I was making chicken nuggets, so I'm not sure it applies in this case.  :D

lol - chicken nuggets have no special requirements at all - just heat and eat!
"Only cinema narrows its concern down to its content, that is to its story. It should, instead, concern itself with its form, its structure." Peter Greenaway

saltine

• Administrator
  • Godfather
« Reply #1243 on: October 29, 2009, 11:51:36 PM »
so is it the image size that is the issue, or is it re-referencing images - because I have been resizing images to like 100 pixels recently rather than deleting them if I quote them.

re-referencing images

Why quote the image along with the review?  All one has to do is delete the img and tags.  Also quoting a review as the next post is unnecessary in my view.  A reply can begin with the previous poster's name and everyone will understand that the previous poster is being addressed in the reply.  Otherwise, there is clutter and I do not like clutter.  BTW, I've had this rant before to no avail and I don't expect anyone to change their ways just because it bugs me.  But I will take down some images in quoted replies if the images are huge.
Texan Down Under

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
  • "Bravo Vincent....Bravo!"
« Reply #1244 on: October 29, 2009, 11:54:08 PM »

re-referencing images

Why quote the image along with the review?  All one has to do is delete the img and tags.  Also quoting a review as the next post is unnecessary in my view.  A reply can begin with the previous poster's name and everyone will understand that the previous poster is being addressed in the reply.  Otherwise, there is clutter and I do not like clutter.  BTW, I've had this rant before to no avail and I don't expect anyone to change their ways just because it bugs me.  But I will take down some images in quoted replies if the images are huge.

It's good to know.  It's easy enough to do.  Sometimes it's appropriate to quote the resized image (like if you're quoted something a page or so back) but usually it's redundant I suppose
"And if thou refuse to let them go, behold, I will smite all thy borders with frogs" - Exodus 8:2 KJV
(switchboard)

ses

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Sarah's Kitchen Adventures
« Reply #1245 on: October 29, 2009, 11:56:34 PM »
Pre-heating.

If you want something to be crispy, I would recommend pre-heating.
"It's a fool who looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart"

http://sarahskitchenadventures.blogspot.com/

maņana

• Objectively Awesome
  • Check your public library
« Reply #1246 on: October 30, 2009, 04:19:21 PM »
It's absurd how quickly my wireless mouse goes through batteries. 
There's no deceit in the cauliflower.

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #1247 on: October 30, 2009, 04:22:37 PM »
Pre-heating.

lol - chicken nuggets have no special requirements at all - just heat and eat!

Hmmm.  I've never had to pre-heat my microwave before...
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
  • "Bravo Vincent....Bravo!"
« Reply #1248 on: October 30, 2009, 05:42:27 PM »

hmmm...I'm on the original battery on mine I bought a year ago. 
"And if thou refuse to let them go, behold, I will smite all thy borders with frogs" - Exodus 8:2 KJV
(switchboard)

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #1249 on: October 30, 2009, 05:59:27 PM »

hmmm...I'm on the original battery on mine I bought a year ago. 

Wow, that's rockin'. Mine last for about 3 months on a charge.

love