Author Topic: Pet Peeves  (Read 710364 times)

UberGeekyGirl

• Elite Member
Re: Pet Peeves
« Reply #1590 on: December 03, 2009, 11:19:46 AM »
*hugs farris* just blow your nose and if you need to go to the bathroom and spit that gunk out. Once you do that you can sit by me all you want.
"Sometimes it's only madness that makes us what we are." - Batman

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
  • "Bravo Vincent....Bravo!"
« Reply #1591 on: December 03, 2009, 11:21:56 AM »
*hugs farris* just blow your nose and if you need to go to the bathroom and spit that gunk out. Once you do that you can sit by me all you want.

:)
"And if thou refuse to let them go, behold, I will smite all thy borders with frogs" - Exodus 8:2 KJV
(switchboard)

OmNom

• Elite Member
  • They mostly come at night. Mostly.
« Reply #1592 on: December 03, 2009, 11:25:14 AM »

:)

So sweet.  So kind. 

Must resist urge to turn evil... Must not edit all this for the "quote out of context" thread.  Resisting... resisting...
The answers you seek are in Norway.

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #1593 on: December 03, 2009, 12:43:27 PM »
Aren't language's constant changes and versatility really the beauty of it though?

There are two ways of looking at "correct" language: the grammarian's and the linguist's.  The grammarian's approach is to say that there are a standard set of rules that everyone needs to follow and any exception to these rules are improper and reasonable to be irritated at.

The linguist's approach recognizes rules, but understands that they are flexible.  Language changes all the time, and whatever is most popularly used IS the proper use in that context.  That there are different contexts for a particular language and what may be acceptable in an oral context might not be acceptable in written, or what is acceptable in a journal article might not work in a personal essay.

I, and I suppose FLY, take a more linguistic stance.  The spelling of "door jamb" could be changing, and "door jam" is neither better nor worse, just different.  An older spelling of "door jamb" is "door jambe", but no one complains about that change. 

I suppose if the gammarians want to complain about the popular "misuse" of language, that's up to them (my wife is one of those, and it is a common unheated argument we have).  But I choose to complain about people who think that the popular notion of language is the wrong one.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

¡Keith!

• Objectively Awesome
  • Bitch, I been around since LimeWire.
« Reply #1594 on: December 03, 2009, 01:14:25 PM »
well stated.

roujin

• Objectively Awesome
  • it's all research
« Reply #1595 on: December 03, 2009, 01:45:40 PM »
I hate language. Let us communicate only through smilies!

:D

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #1596 on: December 03, 2009, 02:00:54 PM »
I hate language. Let us communicate only through smilies!

:D
;)

'Noke

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #1597 on: December 03, 2009, 02:09:56 PM »
I actually consider a lot of movies to be life-changing! I take them to my heart and they melt into my personality.

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
  • "Bravo Vincent....Bravo!"
"And if thou refuse to let them go, behold, I will smite all thy borders with frogs" - Exodus 8:2 KJV
(switchboard)

roujin

• Objectively Awesome
  • it's all research
« Reply #1599 on: December 03, 2009, 02:24:52 PM »