Author Topic: Pet Peeves  (Read 709999 times)

ˇKeith!

• Objectively Awesome
  • Bitch, I been around since LimeWire.
Re: Pet Peeves
« Reply #1640 on: December 08, 2009, 03:01:52 PM »
thats why the cheapo crap malls smell so bad.

Clovis8

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #1641 on: December 08, 2009, 03:03:32 PM »
I am curious how a theater economy works Froham.

1) Do they make money on each ticket sold and if so what % is theater and what goes to distributor/studio etc?

2) Do they keep all the food profits?

3) Do they pay for the films themselves or are those sent for free?

ˇKeith!

• Objectively Awesome
  • Bitch, I been around since LimeWire.
« Reply #1642 on: December 08, 2009, 03:25:58 PM »
I would answer but the question is addressed to Froseph.

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
  • “By any seeds necessary.”
    • justAtad
« Reply #1643 on: December 08, 2009, 03:36:33 PM »
Different theatres can wok differently, but here's the general breakdown in North America.

1) Theatres get a small percentage of a film's gross. The percentage can also change week to week. These are all very political deals and they involve what screens a film will be on and other such intricacies. Usually a theatre keeps somewhere close to 70 or 75% of first and second week gross. But sometimes it is much lower. Paramount has famously demanded their take to be up to 90% on some films in first week. Sweeney Todd is an example. Either way, even if the percentage of gross for a theatre goes up incrementally each week the gross of a film usually goes in a downward trend so they are still getting less money.

2) Bigger chains often have mote control over their snack bars, but they will often use other companies, as my theatre does, to essentially run product. In our case we use a company out of San Francisco called Pacific Concession. I don't know the details of the arrangement but my understanding is that it's somewhat split 50/50. The way I've heard it, bigger chains like AMC or Cineplex get more straight to their pockets to cover their own costs (more like 75%, though I may be wrong.)

3) From what I understand the Studios essentially cover cost of distribution, but i do believe there is a set fee to lease a print in both first and second run. That fee is apparently relatively negligible though.

What I'm saying my not be entirely correct, and it is likely not true for all theatres, but it should give you an idea of income. Keep in mind that operation costs or nothing to sneeze at for a movie theatre. There is a reason ticket prices are so high: theatres need to make money to survive and grow, and they need to raise prices to keep the profits from drowning under operation costs and studio pricing politics.

If Keith wants to add or correct I welcome him.
"We didn't clean the hamster's cage, the hamster's cage cleaned us!"

Can't get enough FroHam? Read more of my musings at justAtad

St. Martin the Bald

• Lurker
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
« Reply #1644 on: December 08, 2009, 08:54:13 PM »
sdedalus is the man to ask about this....sean?
Are you listening?
Hey, nice marmot!

St. Martin the Bald

• Lurker
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
« Reply #1645 on: December 08, 2009, 08:56:02 PM »
Yeah, a bit of popcorn on the floor doesn't bother me because it's understandable. But I can never see the reason for leaving cups and popcorn bags on the floor.

You would hate me then - if I am paying over $20 for just myself (with concessions) - somebody is picking up my trash. I don't go to a restaurant and take my dishes back to the dishwasher.  ;)
Hey, nice marmot!

StarCarly

• Elite Member
  • Something about a pillow.
« Reply #1646 on: December 08, 2009, 09:00:39 PM »
Yeah, a bit of popcorn on the floor doesn't bother me because it's understandable. But I can never see the reason for leaving cups and popcorn bags on the floor.

You would hate me then - if I am paying over $20 for just myself (with concessions) - somebody is picking up my trash. I don't go to a restaurant and take my dishes back to the dishwasher.  ;)

I assume you tip your waitress who does carry them for you. Theater workers don't have the benefit of tips.
"I've been very lonely in my isolated tower of indecipherable speech."

Films Watched in 2017

Letterboxd

St. Martin the Bald

• Lurker
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
« Reply #1647 on: December 08, 2009, 09:02:54 PM »
I worked in restaurants for yrs - I tip very well thank you.

And why would theater workers get tips? They make an hourly wage.
Hey, nice marmot!

St. Martin the Bald

• Lurker
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
« Reply #1648 on: December 08, 2009, 09:07:04 PM »
There's a pet peeve - for the past few yrs - I have started seeing tip jars pop up everywhere. If you are making more than minimum wage - then I don't need to tip you unless you are in group of people who get tipped: servers, bartenders, valets, doormen, hotel house keeping, luggage handlers, taxi/limo drivers...etc..

I am not tipping the guys at fast food joints or Starbucks...
Hey, nice marmot!

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
  • “By any seeds necessary.”
    • justAtad
« Reply #1649 on: December 08, 2009, 09:12:40 PM »
I worked in restaurants for yrs - I tip very well thank you.

And why would theater workers get tips? They make an hourly wage.

So do waitresses.

And understand that the $20 you spend on going tithe movies does not increase the amount us ushers make. We get paid no matter what. And again, I have no problem cleaning up a mess. It's my job and it's what I'm paid to do. But city workers are paid to clean up streets; do you stand next to one ofthem and deliberately throw trash on the ground for them to pick up? It's the disrespect that bothers me. If you want to come to my theatre and leave all your crap on the floor and give me a $3 tip when I clean it up then fine, but you can't act as though the money you pay entitles you to act like a pig.
"We didn't clean the hamster's cage, the hamster's cage cleaned us!"

Can't get enough FroHam? Read more of my musings at justAtad

love