Author Topic: Pet Peeves  (Read 710110 times)

OmNom

• Elite Member
  • They mostly come at night. Mostly.
Re: Pet Peeves
« Reply #1740 on: December 09, 2009, 08:50:32 PM »

But...

What about crystal meth?  I've never tried it, but I hear so many terrible things about it.  

It is pretty dangerous and seems to really mess people up.  Been fortunate to have seen relatively little of that around here so far.  It's also incredibly dangerous to cook up yourself, particularly if you are using at the same time...I would say keep manufacturing as a crime and decrim possession or at least make it a misdemeanor as a way to funnel people into treatment programs.

Also, being high on any of these drugs, just like alcohol, is no excuse for other criminal behavior.  If you wreck because you are geeked up, it's DUI.  If you beat your wife because you are high on meth, or have a cocaine psychosis and go crazy on cops, you are still going to jail, just not for the drug part.

Yep.  Agree with that too.

I lived in southern Oregon for about 5 years where the crystal meth problem was big.  Dreadful.  It really scares me.  

I'm an RN, used to work NICU (newborn icu).  I have no sympathy for some parents.  Ya know, addict yourself, but your unborn child is another matter entirely.  And I've seen some intense damage done to babies with crystal meth when a pregnant mom uses.  Just no sympathy from me there.  Zero.
The answers you seek are in Norway.

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #1741 on: December 09, 2009, 11:10:17 PM »
My wife has worked for minimum wage in a laundromat for years.  Her employer can't afford to pay her more, although she works hard and has good skills in hand-folding clothes and dealing with customers.  There is no tip jar there, but the employees there both deserve and need extra money.

A tip jar is not a social requirement, like tipping a waiter/waitress.  It is an opportunity to grant someone who does good work a tiny percentage closer to the wage they actually deserve.  If you choose not to grant them that, or think they don't deserve it, that's fine.  But I think all places with minimum wage workers should have tip jars.  Including theatre workers.

Having worked for years for tips, I feel as though I can speak out on this subject with some degree of experience.
I certainly don't feel as though I need to be pressured in any way shape or form to make up some one's wages because they are working for someone who is not (or cannot) pay them what they are worth. I usually do tip in case you are wondering but it doesn't change the fact that I feel as though it's not necessary at the corner taco stand or (as I said before) Starbucks (those people get good benefits). I worked for yrs at McDonald's in high school but I never expected or even asked for a tip.

Go wait tables, park cars or work the coat room of you want a tip - there I said it.

Or, in other words, "I shouldn't have to feel guilty about your minimum wage job that doesn't pay for your family's needs unless it is a traditional task that a hundred years ago was recognized as deserving some extra help.  If you work at both Wall-Mart and Starbucks to make ends meet, sucks to be you."

You can portray me in any light you choose too. I am quite confident in the fact that I am very compassionate but it's not my job to equalize the playing field for every hard luck case that crosses my path - we have 3 full time kids in our family plus another who is probably going to join as well. I need my $$ to put a roof over their head and food on their plates.  I would rather give my few extra dollars to the homeless guy on the corner looking for food than somebody who just made me a burrito for dinner.
Or do you have a problem with that?

I apologize for being testy about it.  Perhaps my attitude was a little attacking, and I didn't want to make this an argument.

However...

I think it is everyone's business to make life an equitable playing field.  It makes it harder on everyone when most people don't.

Of course I don't have a problem with someone giving the homeless some help.  That's my life.  But I think that we need to see everyone who is poor and struggling in the same light.  And everyone who works for minimum wage struggles.  It has been proven that minimum wage is not a livable wage.  And many with minimum wage jobs have added expenses or a lack of benefits that others don't.  If we can help, we should.  If we can't, we don't need to complain about people giving an opportunity for others to help them meet their living wage.

I never said any particular person should put money in the tip jar (except a person who received excellent service).  I'm just saying that it is just and right for them to have one.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #1742 on: December 09, 2009, 11:40:04 PM »
Helpful average salaries for guidance on giving tips:

Airline pilot’s salary: 60 an hour for $70,000 a year (non-major airline; major airline pilots average $125,000 a year)

Bag handler’s salary:  13.50 an hour, for $28,080 a year

Full time associate at Wal Mart: 10.84 an hour for $19,200 a year

Starbucks barista: 8.09 an hour, but the hours vary widly.  So between $8500-14,000 a year.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

Colleen

• Hot Fuzz
  • Godfather
  • Let's be careful out there!
« Reply #1743 on: December 09, 2009, 11:43:04 PM »
Helpful average salaries for guidance on giving tips:

Bag handler’s salary:  13.50 an hour, for $28,080 a year

That's roughly what I was getting paid as a crime scene technician.  Even the best ones in the state, working for the GBI Crime Lab, only make in the low to mid-30s and top out in the mid-40s.

St. Martin the Bald

• Lurker
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
« Reply #1744 on: December 10, 2009, 08:36:57 AM »

But...

What about crystal meth?  I've never tried it, but I hear so many terrible things about it.   

It is pretty dangerous and seems to really mess people up.  Been fortunate to have seen relatively little of that around here so far.  It's also incredibly dangerous to cook up yourself, particularly if you are using at the same time...I would say keep manufacturing as a crime and decrim possession or at least make it a misdemeanor as a way to funnel people into treatment programs.

Also, being high on any of these drugs, just like alcohol, is no excuse for other criminal behavior.  If you wreck because you are geeked up, it's DUI.  If you beat your wife because you are high on meth, or have a cocaine psychosis and go crazy on cops, you are still going to jail, just not for the drug part.

It's a very dangerous toy to play with -that being said - I have seen very limited instances of recreational use. More often than not though, people start out with the "best" intentions but quickly slide into daily use. After I quit - it took me about 3yrs to feel normal again. I had just retreated inside of myself and had alienated everyone.
In the end it's still about personal accountability and drugs didn't MAKE me do anything - they were just available - it would have been booze if they weren't.

For me decriminalization isn't being able to go get high because I probably won't. Man has been altering his consciousness as far back as we can find - and for the negative experiences I have had, i have also had some very amazing transcendent ones as well. A feeling of touching the divine, of a universal interconnectedness - but these are just beginnings and signposts - it is now up to me to find that way unassisted. Such experimentation can only point the way, it won't lead you there.
Hey, nice marmot!

Steven O. Selsnik

• Elite Member
  • I don't mind a parasite.Iobject to a cut-rate one
« Reply #1745 on: December 10, 2009, 10:08:11 AM »
People who have lived in the North East of the United States all their lives but complain about the snow and cold every year. Move if you don't like it. It's a free country.

"This isn't Russia. Is this Russia?This isn't Russia."

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
  • "Bravo Vincent....Bravo!"
« Reply #1746 on: December 10, 2009, 10:10:01 AM »
People who have lived in the North East of the United States all their lives but complain about the snow and cold every year. Move if you don't like it. It's a free country.

"This isn't Russia. Is this Russia?This isn't Russia."

"cold enough for ya?'"

I'll add, Californians that move to the Pac NW and gripe endlessly about the rain.   I mean there has been some advance press on all this
"And if thou refuse to let them go, behold, I will smite all thy borders with frogs" - Exodus 8:2 KJV
(switchboard)

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #1747 on: December 10, 2009, 10:13:53 AM »
School is giving me a rash right now. Can't it just be Tuesday already?

mañana

• Objectively Awesome
  • Check your public library
« Reply #1748 on: December 10, 2009, 11:38:28 AM »
I'll add, Californians that move to the Pac NW
This is a reoccurring theme for you.
There's no deceit in the cauliflower.

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
  • "Bravo Vincent....Bravo!"
« Reply #1749 on: December 10, 2009, 11:43:12 AM »
I'll add, Californians that move to the Pac NW
This is a reoccurring theme for you.

Sorry.  Am i repeating myself?  It comes with old age. 

"And if thou refuse to let them go, behold, I will smite all thy borders with frogs" - Exodus 8:2 KJV
(switchboard)

love