Author Topic: Pet Peeves  (Read 710327 times)

alexarch

• Godfather
Re: Pet Peeves
« Reply #1880 on: December 19, 2009, 10:05:13 AM »
I've officially given up on IMDb for their message boards. When half of the posts on the Avatar forum is about Smurfs while the other half is about Fern Gully I have to leave. For good. Goodbye, cruel world.

Why were you ever there to begin with? You are better than that.
He still listens to Keith and the Girl. While he's grown heaping spoonfuls in the last four year, alas, he is still a college student. They do stupid things sometimes, those proto-adults. Silly, stupid things. Unlike us 30–40 year-olds; we've got it all figured out.

St. Martin the Bald

• Lurker
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
« Reply #1881 on: December 19, 2009, 10:42:06 AM »
I've officially given up on IMDb for their message boards. When half of the posts on the Avatar forum is about Smurfs while the other half is about Fern Gully I have to leave. For good. Goodbye, cruel world.

He still listens to Keith and the Girl. While he's grown heaping spoonfuls in the last four year, alas, he is still a college student. They do stupid things sometimes, those proto-adults. Silly, stupid things. Unlike us 30–40 year-olds; we've got it all figured out.

Yup - and I figured out that living with my mom and dad is....is...?
Hey, nice marmot!

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
  • Oo-da-lolly, Oo-da-lolly, golly what a day!
    • Corndog Chats
« Reply #1882 on: December 19, 2009, 10:49:37 AM »
when you leave your glasses in a city 100 miles away that you won't be back in for almost two weeks.

You don't have a back up pair at home? Always keep a back up!

I do but they're super old and not quite the right perscription.
"Time is the speed at which the past decays."

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #1883 on: December 19, 2009, 11:55:48 AM »

When Filmspotting starts doing one show a day, I'll listen to them instead. Until that point KATG is the only place that has consistency and quality. Though they piss me off when it comes to movies and such. Like how Keith didn't like Inglourious Basterds because he was "promised" 2 hours of Nazi killing. Blaming advertising for a movie is stupid.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #1884 on: December 19, 2009, 12:23:43 PM »
(A/A+)
(A/A-)
(B/B+)
(C+/B-)
(D+/C-)

"Pick a side.  We're at war."

Seriously.  Especially down at the D+ range.  That film can't be worthy of that kind of nuanced grade!

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #1885 on: December 19, 2009, 12:45:12 PM »
(A/A+)
(A/A-)
(B/B+)
(C+/B-)
(D+/C-)

"Pick a side.  We're at war."

Seriously.  Especially down at the D+ range.  That film can't be worthy of that kind of nuanced grade!

pixote

Actually, I would argue that the nuance for Confessions is one of the most warranted in that middle territory. There is not a lot to like about the film, aside from the larger concept that is tried to be addressed before the film devolves into generic romantic comedy territory, but there's one wide shot towards the end that is absolutely beautiful and one of the most visually appealing shots of the year. Combine that with the mostly unoffensive exterior and you are given a bad film either way, but one that has very few redeeming qualities as a generic rom-com that would have been bad even if the basic premise was fine tuned, or one that could have been great but was written poorly, as a piece on consumerism commentary. At the end of the year I'll settle on most of the A films, probably. Likely the B ones as well. Grades are kind of dumb, I just put them up there for something more tangible than 4.82347632864512738956237985612395.

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #1886 on: December 19, 2009, 01:03:53 PM »
when you leave your glasses in a city 100 miles away that you won't be back in for almost two weeks.

Ouch.  I'd hate to think I'd done that.  Of course, I couldn't legally drive back to get them, either.   I can't legally get up off my bed without my glasses, for fear that I'd harm an innocent.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
  • Oo-da-lolly, Oo-da-lolly, golly what a day!
    • Corndog Chats
« Reply #1887 on: December 19, 2009, 01:36:48 PM »

Ouch.  I'd hate to think I'd done that.  Of course, I couldn't legally drive back to get them, either.   I can't legally get up off my bed without my glasses, for fear that I'd harm an innocent.

My vision isn't awful, it just kind of sucks that I'll have to wear my contacts all day liong now
"Time is the speed at which the past decays."

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
  • "Bravo Vincent....Bravo!"
« Reply #1888 on: December 19, 2009, 05:47:06 PM »

I've never been even remotely interested in the IMDB message boards until this very minute :)
"And if thou refuse to let them go, behold, I will smite all thy borders with frogs" - Exodus 8:2 KJV
(switchboard)

Bill Thompson

• Objectively Awesome
  • DOOM!!!!
    • Bill's Movie Emporium
« Reply #1889 on: December 20, 2009, 12:53:28 PM »
Mark Kermode's use of the word "baggy". I don't mind when you are completely wrong about films Mark, but please, stop saying baggy every other sentence, it's an annoying, annoying word.