love

Author Topic: Pet Peeves  (Read 710058 times)

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
  • "Bravo Vincent....Bravo!"
Re: Pet Peeves
« Reply #1980 on: December 30, 2009, 09:47:04 AM »
...yet im a criminal for wanting to get stoned and laugh my bollocks off. ..

Marijuana, Ecstacy, LSD all scientifically proven to be less harmful than alcohol and tobacco.

I was wondering why you had such bad teeth
"And if thou refuse to let them go, behold, I will smite all thy borders with frogs" - Exodus 8:2 KJV
(switchboard)

Colleen

• Hot Fuzz
  • Godfather
  • Let's be careful out there!
« Reply #1981 on: December 30, 2009, 02:02:39 PM »
"Political analysts" who actually think that the meme of "Hawaii seems foreign" resonates as a critique of the president.  Or the idea that there are people in this country that that might actually strike a chord with.

Also, the word "optics" as in "It's bad optics for the president to stay in Hawaii when terrorists are targeting the country with their exploding crotches."  I've been seeing it creep more and more into what passes for talking head analysis in the last year and there is something about it that just makes me grind my molars--it has just the right note of insidery jargon to deeply irritate.

I think "optics" is already on my list of banned words of 2010.

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #1982 on: December 30, 2009, 02:27:09 PM »
"Political analysts" who actually think that the meme of "Hawaii seems foreign" resonates as a critique of the president.  Or the idea that there are people in this country that that might actually strike a chord with.

Also, the word "optics" as in "It's bad optics for the president to stay in Hawaii when terrorists are targeting the country with their exploding crotches."  I've been seeing it creep more and more into what passes for talking head analysis in the last year and there is something about it that just makes me grind my molars--it has just the right note of insidery jargon to deeply irritate.

« Last Edit: December 30, 2009, 02:38:46 PM by ferris »
"And if thou refuse to let them go, behold, I will smite all thy borders with frogs" - Exodus 8:2 KJV
(switchboard)

Steven O. Selsnik

• Elite Member
  • I don't mind a parasite.Iobject to a cut-rate one
« Reply #1983 on: December 30, 2009, 03:29:34 PM »
"Political analysts" who actually think that the meme of "Hawaii seems foreign" resonates as a critique of the president.  Or the idea that there are people in this country that that might actually strike a chord with.

Also, the word "optics" as in "It's bad optics for the president to stay in Hawaii when terrorists are targeting the country with their exploding crotches."  I've been seeing it creep more and more into what passes for talking head analysis in the last year and there is something about it that just makes me grind my molars--it has just the right note of insidery jargon to deeply irritate.

couldn't you have just pared this down to "political analysts"?

Colleen

• Hot Fuzz
  • Godfather
« Reply #1984 on: December 30, 2009, 03:43:19 PM »

couldn't you have just pared this down to "political analysts"?

Most of the time they are a low level somewhat irritating drone in the background.  The stuff today that some Romney guy was spouting just made me see absolute red.  I'm not sure whether I'm more enraged about the Hawaii is foreign part, or the idea that Obama should drop everything and rush off to DC in a panic because a terrorist plot didn't succeed (1) when apparently it was okay to stay in Texas while a major US city was destroyed and actual US citizens were suffering and dying. 

(1) That's not to day that I don't think there were NOT massive screw ups that let the crotchbomber get as far as he did and heads do need to roll, but realistically, no fundamental review and reevaluation is going to get done this week no matter where Obama is, because everyone else in DC is on holiday too.  And despite Hawaii apparently being another country, the phones and internets work there so it's not like he can't do the keeping in touch stuff there. 

Personally, I think mocking and disregarding (on a "OMG let's all be scared and change our entire way of life and start another war" level) is the exactly right way to react to this incident.  Yes, step up figuring out ways to shut down this latest go round and do something about Yemen as a haven and yes, figure out how to readjust our procedures to catch these guys, but it's not really a cause for hysteria.

I was recently reading some stuff about the 70s and somehow we made it through a decade of worldwide hijackings, bombings etc. with a ton of terrorist groups and people like Carlos the Jackal and Abu Nidal running around and people didn't seem to lose their shit over it all like they do now.  The incidents weren't as shocking spectacular as 9/11 (with the possible exception of the Munich incident) but on a day to day basis were a lot more frquent and worldwide.  Yet somehow we all got through it without invasions and shredding the Constitution.  I just wish there were more people speaking out publically for (or more accurately, CNN & Co. were giving more airtime to ) the "Good lord people get a grip" POV.

St. Martin the Bald

• Lurker
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
« Reply #1985 on: December 30, 2009, 05:38:06 PM »
The US is a country of knee-jerk over reactions...
Hey, nice marmot!

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #1986 on: December 30, 2009, 05:46:03 PM »

and knee jerk reactions to those!
(switchboard)

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
  • “By any seeds necessary.”
    • justAtad
« Reply #1987 on: December 30, 2009, 05:53:12 PM »

and knee jerk reactions to those!

And Canada is a country of carefully thought out nonsense. I'm not sure which works better.
"We didn't clean the hamster's cage, the hamster's cage cleaned us!"

Can't get enough FroHam? Read more of my musings at justAtad

Clovis8

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #1988 on: December 30, 2009, 09:18:03 PM »
I must say the current reaction to the terrorism threat is insane. All flights into the US have banned ANY carryon except women's purses. We were not allowed a laptop bag or anything. People had to carry their medication is plastic bags. EVERY SINGLE person walked through the scanner, they were then hand scanned with the wand and then TOTALLY pated down front and back. EVERY SINGLE PERSON!

This was for a flight from Edmonton to Seattle.

I then transfered to a Seattle to Orlando flight were you were allowed any normal carryon, many people having two full suit cases.

Conclusion: terrorists are too stupid to fly to the US then pick up bomb making shit and get on a domestic flight. Furthermore, there is a greater terrorism threat on an Edmonton to Seattle flight than a LA to New York flight.

They also did not allow us to stand up for the last 60 minutes of the flight which was amusing since the flight was 1 hour 40 minutes total.

Conclusion: terrorists are too stupid to blow up their bombs at the 1 hour 5 minutes left in flight mark.

Impressive logic all around.

« Last Edit: December 30, 2009, 09:19:55 PM by Clovis8 »

Colleen

• Hot Fuzz
  • Godfather
« Reply #1989 on: December 30, 2009, 09:23:53 PM »
I must say the current reaction to the terrorism threat is insane. All flights into the US have banned ANY carryon except women's purses. We were not allowed a laptop bag or anything. People had to carry their medication is plastic bags. EVERY SINGLE person walked through the scanner, they were then hand scanned with the wand and then TOTALLY pated down front and back. EVERY SINGLE PERSON!

This was for a flight from Edmonton to Seattle.

I then transfered to a Seattle to Orlando flight were you were allowed any normal carryon many people having two full suit cases of carryon.

Conclusion: terrorists are too stupid to fly to the US then pick up bomb making shit and get on plane. Furthermore, there is a great terrorism threat on an Edmonton to Seattle flight than a LA to New York flight.

They also did not allow us to stand up for the last 60 minutes of the flight which was amusing since the flight was 1 hour 40 minutes total.

Conclusion: terrorists are too stupid to blow up their bombs at the 1 hour 5 minutes left in flight mark.

Impressive logic all around.

Other restrictions I've heard of:  nothing from your bags/personal property of any kind during that last hour.  In some flights this has included not just electronics but books and magazines.  I would literally go absolutely batshit if I couldn't read/work a sudoku/listen to iPod or SOMETHING.  I simply refuse to fly until things get a little saner.

Also have heard that no electronics including iPods, dvd/CD player/cellphones etc. has been enforced on some flights, and airlines have either disabled the little map function to allow you to follow the flight route on those in-seat screens, or turned the screens off all together til that can be disabled.  And pilots/crew aren't supposed to give any indication where the plane is at any given time so no pointing out landmarks and things.

I can totally see myself grabbing hold of the armrests and going all Steve Buscemi in ConAir without any form of self-chosen entertainment.  Of course the advertisers etc. will love it if everyone has no choice but to watch the in flight "entertainment"....

"HES GOT THE WHOLE WORLD IN HIS HANDS!"

love