Author Topic: Pet Peeves  (Read 384221 times)

Colleen

• Hot Fuzz
  • Godfather
  • Let's be careful out there!
Re: Pet Peeves
« Reply #2210 on: January 22, 2010, 09:56:52 AM »
automatically putting on a bra with my uniform, forgetting that a) don't really need it under the armor and b) annoying unreachable itchiness ensues.

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #2211 on: January 22, 2010, 10:27:02 AM »
Misleading titles for youtube clips, or clips with annoying music instead of the actual sound, or too many annotations, or overly long credits that nobody reads anyways.

Colleen

• Hot Fuzz
  • Godfather
« Reply #2212 on: January 22, 2010, 10:51:12 AM »
Misleading titles for youtube clips, or clips with annoying music instead of the actual sound, or too many annotations, or overly long credits that nobody reads anyways.

I hate when I'm looking for a scene from a TV show and a youtube video looks like what I'm looking for but it turns out to be a "fan music video" with a bunch of scenes from the show and some song that the poster thinks expresses the feelings of the characters or somesuch.  Feh.

Since I'm frequently looking for Buffy and Doctor Who type stuff, I run into this a lot. 

IDrinkYourMilkshake

• Elite Member
  • a souless automaton who can't feel any emotion
« Reply #2213 on: January 22, 2010, 01:16:30 PM »
Tutters. people who 'tut', usually at the news. It runs down my Mums side of the family - my Grandad did it, my old dear does it and my brother does it and it drives me insane. It says nothing..... nothing..... about anything -  it's just moral masturbation - do people 'tut' when theyre on their own? My own findings suggest they do not. (i have, somewhat shamefully, done some research into this ie leaving recording devices in rooms with 'tutters' when the news is on. Sad, i know, but thats how annoyed it makes me).

Almost as irritating is rhetorically saying vague nothings like "oooh - its terrible, terrible!", which is almost as bad. Most of the sh*t on the news is terrible, yeah, but just saying that out loud to yourself i think demonstrates a lack of imagination - is that all there is to say about these issues? No, so unless you've got something relevant to say, don't bother. Its like saying "this is a table" or "this is a fork". No conversation, no insight. Just pointless mundanity.

>:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

aaaaaand relax.

:)
« Last Edit: January 22, 2010, 01:18:34 PM by IDrinkYourMilkshake »
"What should have been an enjoyable 90 minutes of nubile, high-school flesh meeting a frenzy of blood-caked blades, becomes instead an exploitational and complex parable of the conflicting demands of agrarianism and artistry. I voted a miss."

Colleen

• Hot Fuzz
  • Godfather
« Reply #2214 on: January 22, 2010, 02:56:27 PM »
do they actually say "tut tut" or is it more of a disapproving clicking sound?  That seems to be a habit that only older people have these days.  I remember my older relatives doing it but not my parents.

Modern day version of "It's terrible, terrible" is "OMG that SUCKS, dude!"

Also does anyone remember parents or older relatives saying "shame on you" when scolding you, meaning "you should be ashamed of yourself" and making this gesture of one index finger stroked several times over the other index finger where the non-moving index finger is pointed at the one being shamed? 

Gestures are much harder to describe than to just demonstrate.

IDrinkYourMilkshake

• Elite Member
  • a souless automaton who can't feel any emotion
« Reply #2215 on: January 22, 2010, 03:22:30 PM »
do they actually say "tut tut" or is it more of a disapproving clicking sound?  That seems to be a habit that only older people have these days.  I remember my older relatives doing it but not my parents.

Its the disapproving clicking sound. Drives me nuts. My Brother still does it and it drives. me. nuts.

Also does anyone remember parents or older relatives saying "shame on you" when scolding you, meaning "you should be ashamed of yourself" and making this gesture of one index finger stroked several times over the other index finger where the non-moving index finger is pointed at the one being shamed?  

Gestures are much harder to describe than to just demonstrate.

The "shame on you" bit ive had many times. But the finger thing.... No. It sounds wierd....
"What should have been an enjoyable 90 minutes of nubile, high-school flesh meeting a frenzy of blood-caked blades, becomes instead an exploitational and complex parable of the conflicting demands of agrarianism and artistry. I voted a miss."

Colleen

• Hot Fuzz
  • Godfather
« Reply #2216 on: January 22, 2010, 03:29:02 PM »
I tried to find a clip of it but no luck so far.  Found out that there are a LOT of songs with "shame" in the title though.

maņana

• Objectively Awesome
  • Check your public library
« Reply #2217 on: January 23, 2010, 12:25:11 AM »
nbc.com's hatred of Canadians.
There's no deceit in the cauliflower.

facedad

• Objectively Awesome
  • World Phucking Champions.
    • Be my netflix friend
« Reply #2218 on: January 23, 2010, 12:42:42 AM »
Goes both ways buddy. How will I ever live without George Stroumboulopoulos?
You're just jealous! Nobody loves you because you're tiny and made of meat!

https://twitter.com/thefaceboy

http://www.thereelists.com

maņana

• Objectively Awesome
  • Check your public library
« Reply #2219 on: January 23, 2010, 12:48:08 AM »
Goes both ways buddy. How will I ever live without George Stroumboulopoulos?
;D You so will.

I didn't know CBC had an international block.
There's no deceit in the cauliflower.