love

Author Topic: Pet Peeves  (Read 710348 times)

Colleen

• Hot Fuzz
  • Godfather
  • Let's be careful out there!
Re: Pet Peeves
« Reply #2560 on: February 25, 2010, 08:17:41 AM »
The online galleries/magazine features everyone runs on "worst/most memorable Oscar red carpet outfits).  How many times do we have to see Cher's Bob Mackie getup, Kim Basinger's one sleeved, self designed outfit, Demi Moore's bike shorts, Geena davis's mini-in-the-the front gown, and the freakin' Swan dress?

Since the red carpet pre-show and the best-and-worst magazine covers have become such a staple, no one takes real risks anymore.  Most of the Oscar "worsts" in recent years have been because a dress is boring or matronly, therefore forgettable, therefore not worth bringing up in a "worst of" retrospective.

So retire that feature, please.  Yes, they were all entertainingly awful outfits.  But we've seen them 10 times each.

Also, stop naming Diane Keaton's suit-and-derby-hat outfit from 2004 a "worst".  I think she looks adorable and since she's not really a Sarandon or a Mirren who can pull off sexy looks in her 60s, like the other 98% of the population, she works what she has. 

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
  • "Bravo Vincent....Bravo!"
« Reply #2561 on: February 25, 2010, 10:16:50 AM »
the red carpet pre-show

that pretty much sums it up for me.
"And if thou refuse to let them go, behold, I will smite all thy borders with frogs" - Exodus 8:2 KJV
(switchboard)

'Noke

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #2562 on: February 25, 2010, 10:17:50 AM »
I actually consider a lot of movies to be life-changing! I take them to my heart and they melt into my personality.

Colleen

• Hot Fuzz
  • Godfather
  • Let's be careful out there!
« Reply #2563 on: February 25, 2010, 11:09:54 AM »
I always used to like the Oscar wrap-up issue of People that comes out after the Oscars but it's no fun anymore :(  It was one of the 2-3 issues a year I would always feel compelled to buy.

Actually given the way the awards shows have piled up since January, they should do one big award-season wrap up covering the outfits from all the music and movie award shows, that would probably give them enough material.  Especially since then they'll be able to include a 4 page feature on Lady Gaga alone.

Clovis8

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #2564 on: February 25, 2010, 11:10:46 AM »
I always used to like the Oscar wrap-up issue of People that comes out after the Oscars but it's no fun anymore :(  It was one of the 2-3 issues a year I would always feel compelled to buy.

Actually given the way the awards shows have piled up since January, they should do one big award-season wrap up covering the outfits from all the music and movie award shows, that would probably give them enough material.  Especially since then they'll be able to include a 4 page feature on Lady Gaga alone.

the slate culture gabfest was saying this a couple eps ago. I never read it but they were also saying it use to be great and now is terrible.

StarCarly

• Elite Member
  • Something about a pillow.
« Reply #2565 on: February 28, 2010, 02:10:18 AM »
Boys. Ya know?
"I've been very lonely in my isolated tower of indecipherable speech."

Films Watched in 2017

Letterboxd

Basil

• Godfather
  • Entrepreneur, spiritualist, healer.
« Reply #2566 on: February 28, 2010, 02:17:03 AM »
Yeah. Especially boys that take forever to respond to PMs.
A$AP Fables

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
  • Oo-da-lolly, Oo-da-lolly, golly what a day!
    • Corndog Chats
« Reply #2567 on: February 28, 2010, 08:39:44 AM »
my saying has always been: "Chicks, man". Ya know?
"Time is the speed at which the past decays."

'Noke

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #2568 on: February 28, 2010, 01:18:24 PM »
Boys. Ya know?

So We're gonna go with people in general? Or maybe non-filmspotters?
I actually consider a lot of movies to be life-changing! I take them to my heart and they melt into my personality.

¡Keith!

• Objectively Awesome
  • Bitch, I been around since LimeWire.
« Reply #2569 on: February 28, 2010, 01:56:47 PM »
Boys. Ya know?

So We're gonna go with people in general? Or maybe non-filmspotters?

Can you PM non-filmspotters?

love