love

Author Topic: Pet Peeves  (Read 709880 times)

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
  • Oo-da-lolly, Oo-da-lolly, golly what a day!
    • Corndog Chats
Re: Pet Peeves
« Reply #2660 on: March 13, 2010, 08:47:29 AM »
Saturday Mornings. Well, the ones I work at least...
"Time is the speed at which the past decays."

Tim

• Elite Member
  • Be excellent to each other
« Reply #2661 on: March 14, 2010, 07:51:32 PM »
monday.....
"Only cinema narrows its concern down to its content, that is to its story. It should, instead, concern itself with its form, its structure." Peter Greenaway

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #2662 on: March 15, 2010, 08:42:11 AM »
That our school makes us change passwords every 180 days. I cheat and just alternate between two.

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
  • "Bravo Vincent....Bravo!"
« Reply #2663 on: March 15, 2010, 08:57:21 AM »
That our school makes us change passwords every 180 days. I cheat and just alternate between two.

It's what I call "yellow sticky note security" - it's when your password rules are so rigid, you force people to write in on a yellow sticky note and leave it by the computer. 

Our office you change it every 60 days and you can't reuse the same pwd for a year  BLAH

I also love it when IT guys force people to use @ for a and $ for s.  That's like hiding your wallet in your sneakers at the beach. 
"And if thou refuse to let them go, behold, I will smite all thy borders with frogs" - Exodus 8:2 KJV
(switchboard)

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #2664 on: March 15, 2010, 12:07:41 PM »

It's what I call "yellow sticky note security" - it's when your password rules are so rigid, you force people to write in on a yellow sticky note and leave it by the computer. 

Our office you change it every 60 days and you can't reuse the same pwd for a year  BLAH

I also love it when IT guys force people to use @ for a and $ for s.  That's like hiding your wallet in your sneakers at the beach. 

Exactly.. i use to be a IT director in a prior life and had too many conversations about security.  The idea of two many password changes and making them difficult really reduces overall security, not improve it. 

I have a bank here that I think has a pretty good system, they give you a choice of having a token key which is a bit of a pain to carry with you since you never know when you may need to log in, or... every time you log in, they send you a random code via SMS to your phone which you need to enter to proceed.  This way you never have to change the general password but you do need your cell phone to get full access to your account.

"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

mañana

• Objectively Awesome
  • Check your public library
« Reply #2665 on: March 15, 2010, 12:50:47 PM »
Some systems remember you old ones I wouldn't let you alternate between the two. It could be worse.
There's no deceit in the cauliflower.

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #2666 on: March 15, 2010, 01:03:52 PM »
That's when you put profanity in your paswords directed at the IT people.

Melvil

• Godfather
  • Eek
« Reply #2667 on: March 15, 2010, 01:10:08 PM »

Unfortunately you never store the password itself, you store the hash it creates. You'll have to save your profanity for face-to-face encounters. ;)

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
  • "Bravo Vincent....Bravo!"
« Reply #2668 on: March 15, 2010, 02:04:18 PM »

Unfortunately you never store the password itself, you store the hash it creates. You'll have to save your profanity for face-to-face encounters. ;)

I direct half my ire at Sarbenes and save the other half for Oxley
"And if thou refuse to let them go, behold, I will smite all thy borders with frogs" - Exodus 8:2 KJV
(switchboard)

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #2669 on: March 15, 2010, 05:33:11 PM »
I hate DVDs that ask you if you want to install lame outdated software when you insert them. Stupid InterActual garbage.