Author Topic: Pet Peeves  (Read 709927 times)

Bill Thompson

• Objectively Awesome
  • DOOM!!!!
    • Bill's Movie Emporium
Re: Pet Peeves
« Reply #3230 on: June 14, 2010, 09:25:30 PM »
Don't even both Tiny, you won't get anywhere and you're facing an argument that doesn't make a lick of sense.

Okay, pet peeves time. I just watched the awesome new Old Republic trailer, and it was only marred by one "way too strong in the Force moment." The new trailer for The Force Unleashed howevre, was a few moments of coolness surrounded by moments designed to piss me off.

1) Vader would never, ever, under any circumstances sacrifice any of the 501st like he does, they are his soldiers, his most trusted men, they've been with him since before he was Vader.

2) The Force power is out of control in this one, seriously, they make the main character so strong in the Force that it's preposterous that he can ever be beaten by anyone

3) The 501st don't quake, they don't cower, and they sure as heck don't try to run and hide, that made me super, super upset!

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #3231 on: June 14, 2010, 11:21:23 PM »
The problem with Star Wars video games has always been that in order to make a game that is compelling and fun to play the continuity of the Star Wars universe must be broken. Therefore, the games often feature characters way more powerful than any of the Jedi in the movies because they are more fun to play in a video game setting. It's ridiculous in the context of the overall universe.

So I've always approached the games from that perspective.

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
  • Oo-da-lolly, Oo-da-lolly, golly what a day!
    • Corndog Chats
« Reply #3232 on: June 15, 2010, 12:01:39 AM »
The misinformed notion that emotion has any bearing when discussing the quality, purpose, and success of art is a misinformed notion

Emotion is life. Deal with it. And if you haven't any, sorry mate. I feel bad for you. Respond if you like, but my end of the conversation is now over.
"Time is the speed at which the past decays."

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #3233 on: June 15, 2010, 12:13:13 AM »
The misinformed notion that emotion has any bearing when discussing the quality, purpose, and success of art.

I cannot even conceive of how that makes sense.

It's all personal, emotion cannot be accurately conveyed from one individual to another because our experiences all cause us to perceive the world, and emotions, in completely different manners. What makes you sad may make me happy. What makes you laugh may make me cry. When discussing themes and larger ideas that any art form tackles we have concrete examples that produce meaningful discussion applicable to our understanding as a whole. I like a scene in a film because the cinematography is good is completely subjective no matter what evidence I try to present. The final scene in Let the Right One In is heartbreaking because it suggests that Eli is just using Oscar as it has previous keepers in the past may be a singular interpretation that can be debated, but I can provide evidence to discuss why I feel this is the case and, by extension, what this interpretation can yield when examining what the film has to say about growing up, romance, friendship, and deceit. From there I can, theoretically, continue to see how these aspects all connect to the human condition. A film that hinges entirely on eliciting an emotional response, whether it be laughter, sadness, excitement, terror, or anything else, from an audience without an equal or heavier emphasis on the thematic depth of the story is near worthless. A film that is, first and foremost, concerned with specific larger ideas and concepts can elicit an emotional response, but all that does is help tell me if I as an individual enjoyed a film, an aspect that has no bearing on communicating with other people. I can say, as eloquently as possible, why I love Demi Lovato's music, but no matter what I say another person may not, and likely cannot, truly understand what I am saying. He just doesn't like it. And we are right where we started. Now if we talk about her use of language in "Everything You're Not" and why it does or does not work, then we start making progress. Emotions are nice, but they have no room in meaningful discussion as far as I'm concerned.

Melvil

• Godfather
  • Eek
« Reply #3234 on: June 15, 2010, 12:16:08 AM »
Bottles of honey that get all sticky on the outside even though I'm really careful with them.

Or, possibly, roommates who aren't careful with the bottle of honey.

I'll say both.

tinyholidays

• Elite Member
  • It's a hard world for little things.
« Reply #3235 on: June 15, 2010, 12:43:13 AM »
Twitter going down when stuff is happening on the West Coast. I've really come to rely on Twitter for instant instant instant news. It makes all of my other news sources, which will summarize and then analyze what happened, look poky and redundant. But when it goes down. Oh. How am I supposed to know what is happening around the world at every every every moment?

The misinformed notion that emotion has any bearing when discussing the quality, purpose, and success of art.

It's all personal, emotion cannot be accurately conveyed from one individual to another because our experiences all cause us to perceive the world, and emotions, in completely different manners. What makes you sad may make me happy. What makes you laugh may make me cry. When discussing themes and larger ideas that any art form tackles we have concrete examples that produce meaningful discussion applicable to our understanding as a whole. I like a scene in a film because the cinematography is good is completely subjective no matter what evidence I try to present. The final scene in Let the Right One In is heartbreaking because it suggests that Eli is just using Oscar as it has previous keepers in the past may be a singular interpretation that can be debated, but I can provide evidence to discuss why I feel this is the case and, by extension, what this interpretation can yield when examining what the film has to say about growing up, romance, friendship, and deceit. From there I can, theoretically, continue to see how these aspects all connect to the human condition. A film that hinges entirely on eliciting an emotional response, whether it be laughter, sadness, excitement, terror, or anything else, from an audience without an equal or heavier emphasis on the thematic depth of the story is near worthless. A film that is, first and foremost, concerned with specific larger ideas and concepts can elicit an emotional response, but all that does is help tell me if I as an individual enjoyed a film, an aspect that has no bearing on communicating with other people. I can say, as eloquently as possible, why I love Demi Lovato's music, but no matter what I say another person may not, and likely cannot, truly understand what I am saying. He just doesn't like it. And we are right where we started. Now if we talk about her use of language in "Everything You're Not" and why it does or does not work, then we start making progress. Emotions are nice, but they have no room in meaningful discussion as far as I'm concerned.

Hmm. I can see how this perspective would be frustrating. For my part, I like to celebrate when someone has a subjective emotional response similar to my own, and, if that response is in some way cathartic or pleasurable, praise the skill that went into evoking that response in me. It means I'm on the same wavelength with that person, and that's what most friendships are based on.

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #3236 on: June 15, 2010, 12:47:46 AM »

But declared "misinformed notion that emotion has any bearing when discussing the quality, purpose, and success of art."  Not that the films has to "hinges entirely on eliciting an emotional response"  is worthless (when discussing the quality, purpose, and success of art)

But you also stated above that cinematography is also completely subjective, is it safe to say then it is a misinformed notion that cinematography has any bearing when discussing the quality, purpose, and success of art

And then it is safe to say that any subjective area has no bearing "when discussing the quality, purpose, and success of art."

Maybe I am making a mistake to go down this path.  I tend to hate "emotional films" though I tend to love films that generate an emotional response in me which is more how I judge them but I rarely think I can discuss most films on an artistic merit.
"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

mañana

• Objectively Awesome
  • Check your public library
« Reply #3237 on: June 15, 2010, 12:48:07 AM »
Bottles of honey that get all sticky on the outside even though I'm really careful with them.
Yes!
There's no deceit in the cauliflower.

mañana

• Objectively Awesome
  • Check your public library
« Reply #3238 on: June 18, 2010, 01:38:14 AM »
When a 404 eats a lengthy post.
There's no deceit in the cauliflower.

ferris

• Objectively Awesome
  • "Bravo Vincent....Bravo!"
« Reply #3239 on: June 18, 2010, 01:38:57 AM »
When a 404 eats a lengthy post.

ugh.  Yeah I've taken to copying to notepad before I post if it's anything of substance...
"And if thou refuse to let them go, behold, I will smite all thy borders with frogs" - Exodus 8:2 KJV
(switchboard)

love