Author Topic: Pet Peeves  (Read 381942 times)

roujin

• Objectively Awesome
  • it's all research
Re: Pet Peeves
« Reply #6650 on: January 08, 2018, 11:02:33 AM »
Thank you for consuming my content.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #6651 on: June 22, 2019, 07:34:37 PM »
Lack of housing affordability and bidding wars. One never makes quite enough money.

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #6652 on: June 28, 2019, 04:34:17 AM »
Springsteen on Broadway, which is on Netflix, is a great set by the Boss.   Acoustic, with a lot of stories about the people around him through the years, it's personal and full of unique takes of his songs.

From a different thread but Oldkid has just triggered my Pet Peeve.  Telling stories during a music performance or cutting from a concert to show some behind the scenes activities or other footage.

Worst offenders.

Adele concert BluRay - Great singer and voice with some nice song writing.  actually, the songs pretty much speaks for ithemselves without an explanation. So why spend a minute or two explaining what each song is about when I can just listen to the lyrics? 

Roger Water’s The Wall concert, I was quite excited when I heard about this as I didn’t get to go to the concert. A Friend offered me a free ticket but it meant I had to fly from Singapore to Austin.  I was actually willing to do that since I hadn’t seen my Friend in a Long time but work projects made the timing not so good.  Anyway, I at least thought I would good to watch a show that I heard was amazing only to have the concert interrupted by footage of Rog driving his vintage Bentley around Europe and talking about things I have already read or heard him talk about. I prefer my own thoughts on the music.

Pink Floyd at Pompeii: this one not as bad, at least it is interesting to capture a lot of the Dark Side of the Moon recording sessions.  But I think it would have been better to split the music portion and the interviews/recording sessions to 2 different docs

John Meyer’s Blu-ray.  I was really listened to his music but bought the Blu-ray when I first got a player and was building a library.  I actually liked his playing and music more then I thought except he can be an annoying blowhard.

"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #6653 on: June 28, 2019, 05:20:13 AM »
Is this a pet peeve about movies of concerts or concerts themselves. Tegan and Sara are known (and loved) for their banter. Not sure I'd want their concert to just be them plugging away at the songs and then leaving. You're getting a bit of theatre in between the music.

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #6654 on: June 28, 2019, 07:49:52 AM »
Is this a pet peeve about movies of concerts or concerts themselves. Tegan and Sara are known (and loved) for their banter. Not sure I'd want their concert to just be them plugging away at the songs and then leaving. You're getting a bit of theatre in between the music.

Not as bad during a concert that is a one time event but if I buy the Blu-ray of the concert I am likely to rewatch it often in which case those parts get extremely annoying.

“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #6655 on: July 04, 2019, 12:46:15 PM »
I agree with that pet peeve.  It ruined Roger Waters: The Wall for me, which could have been a great concert film.

However, Bruce Springsteen on Broadway isn't like that.  It is all him, on stage.  He is telling the stories, as related to the songs he's playing.  It's a one-man show.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #6656 on: July 04, 2019, 06:46:39 PM »
I agree with that pet peeve.  It ruined Roger Waters: The Wall for me, which could have been a great concert film.

However, Bruce Springsteen on Broadway isn't like that.  It is all him, on stage.  He is telling the stories, as related to the songs he's playing.  It's a one-man show.

I watched parts of Roger Waters: The Wall the other night as was testing a few things I changed around in my system and it still makes me angry.  Even the first time watching, the cutaway scenes just completely take you out of the concert and destroy the experience.  Why Why Why couldn’t they be bonus material best ignored.  I read somewhere  that he had a couple shows on each of his last 3 tours professional filmed for archived purposes.  Hopefully something will get released that is a complete show. 

I’ll give Bruce on Broadway a go, I did add it to my queue but not gotten around to watching it. I never was a big Bruce fan but watching his live show on Blu-ray is wonderful.  He puts everything into his performance. 

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #6657 on: July 05, 2019, 10:00:48 PM »
I should watch that concert film.  I’d love to see him with his full band.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #6658 on: July 05, 2019, 11:19:07 PM »
I should watch that concert film.  I’d love to see him with his full band.
It is called London Calling at Hyde Park, really a great show.  Can’t find any Youtube videos of it as they have all been pulled.  This version not as good, but I love Nils Lofgren playing Youngstown:

I was always a big fan of his from Neil Young to his solo work, he was the reason I actually decided to check out the Bruce Springsteen concert.  His song for Keith Richards is just simply amazing...

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #6659 on: September 29, 2019, 12:37:56 AM »
When I go to the bank and they make some comment about the transaction as if it were a perfectly okay thing to make conversation about. To me it's basically like buying condoms and the cashier asking what you're planning on doing with them. Like wtf, mind you're own business. Glorified storage locker clerk acting like their my doctor or some shit. Shit's personal.

SUPER unprofessional.