love

Author Topic: Your Top Ten Anime Series (with words!)  (Read 77520 times)

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
Re: Your Top Ten Anime Series (with words!)
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2008, 09:21:02 AM »
Awesome post, roujin.  You did a lot of successful convincing there.  Can't wait to check some of those out.

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

sdedalus

• Objectively Awesome
  • I have a prestigious blog, sir!
    • The End of Cinema
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2008, 01:24:26 PM »
The Escaflowne series is good, the movie is really bad.
The End of Cinema

Seattle Screen Scene

"He was some kind of a man. What does it matter what you say about people?"

ElectricOtter

• Elite Member
  • I masticate in public.
    • Myspace
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2008, 10:20:18 AM »
I echo previous recommendations for Cowboy Bebop, Hellsing, and Samurai Champloo.

As far as words, let me put it this way: Cowboy Bebop is my favorite TV show of all time. Ever. You should watch it and agree with me.
But for now we are young, let us lay in the sun, count every beautiful thing we can see...

www.myspace.com/fightingpickletog
www.boothfilmcritics.org
http://dmbmovieboi.dvdaf.com/owned

moush

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2008, 03:54:06 AM »
Listen to roujin, most of his list is spot on. Definitely check out: Trigun, Cowboy Bebop, Berserk, Beck, Yakitate Japan!!, and GTO.  I myself need to see Gankutsuou, Cromartie HS, and Monster.

Lupin III: The Castle of Cagliostro
It's an anime heist movie that's easily the best of it's kind.

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
features a pretty epic (not the lame internet meaning) story and ending.

Jungle wa Itsumo Hare nochi Guu
Is a light heart childish comedy, but it's probably the funniest anime to date and one of my favorite anime.

Outlaw Star
It's another classic action anime that's similiar to Trigun. It's up there with Trigun and Cowboy Bebop as the best.

Planetes
It's a realistic outer space anime.  I myself haven't seen this yet, but it's supposed to be great.

Gunbuster and Diebuster (Gunbuster 2)
Great short series with phenomenal endings that I dare you not to cry at.

Gungrave
This one's all over the place, it has gangsters and plenty of action.

Kaiji
About a gambler down his luck trying to erase the debt he's in.  The main character gets more badass as it progresses.

Baccano!
This is sort of like a Pulp Fiction of anime.  It follows multiple people and connects them together in one story. It has the coolest couple of any anime I've ever seen.

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2009, 07:56:41 PM »
Escaflowne (26 episodes)

It's as perfect a mix or action, romance and fantasy as I think I'll ever see. It is as thrilling as any action film I've seen. It is as moving as any drama. It might the best of them all.

★★★★★
Bumping this thread for Melvil.  There's some good reading in here.

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

roujin

• Objectively Awesome
  • it's all research
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2009, 07:59:52 PM »
oh, this is still here...

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2009, 08:01:07 PM »
I think I'm going to watch Golden Boy next, then Neon Genesis Evangelion.

pixote

Melvil

• Godfather
  • Eek
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2009, 08:04:26 PM »
Escaflowne (26 episodes)

It's as perfect a mix or action, romance and fantasy as I think I'll ever see. It is as thrilling as any action film I've seen. It is as moving as any drama. It might the best of them all.

★★★★★
Bumping this thread for Melvil.  There's some good reading in here.

pixote

Thank you! This thread is awesome, I didn't know it existed. I have a list of series to check out (and copies of a few of them on hand), this thread will help me prioritize. :)

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2009, 08:14:48 PM »
The only anime series I recall watching completely was Berserk. It was good, but I wouldn't say it bowled me over.

Then I tried watching a one that I can't for the life of me remember the name of. It starts out with kids digging tunnels, they find these robots or mechwarrior things, and then they get in them and fight. One of them looked like the head of a transformer. Anyways, I gave up on it after the 3rd or 4th episode. It got boring.

Maybe I'll try watching Cowboy Bebop at some point in the future, being that it's so well liked.

roujin

• Objectively Awesome
  • it's all research
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2009, 10:03:10 PM »
Then I tried watching a one that I can't for the life of me remember the name of. It starts out with kids digging tunnels, they find these robots or mechwarrior things, and then they get in them and fight. One of them looked like the head of a transformer. Anyways, I gave up on it after the 3rd or 4th episode. It got boring.

This series is called Gurren Lagann. I got 14 or 15 episodes into it. Very good but I just lost interest in pretty much everything around this point and dropped off the face of the Earth so I never continued to watch it.