love

Author Topic: Your Top Ten Anime Series (with words!)  (Read 77526 times)

roujin

• Objectively Awesome
  • it's all research
Re: Your Top Ten Anime Series (with words!)
« Reply #240 on: September 20, 2015, 11:34:06 AM »
I still watch anime. Want to write about it again though.

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #241 on: September 20, 2015, 04:37:01 PM »
I need to watch more anime soon, I think I might try to write about shows as series/seasons instead of episodes. Episode by episode breakdowns are just kinda too much.

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #242 on: September 20, 2015, 05:02:10 PM »
I could not imagine even considering something that demanding. Series reviews definitely sound like a more reasonable approach.
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #243 on: October 12, 2015, 09:29:39 AM »
I cannot believe I did not do this before.

Code Geass: Lelouche of the Rebellion
Death Note
Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood

Neon Genesis Evangelion
Gankutsuou
Soul Eater
Tegen Toppa Gurren Lagann
Kill La Kill

Fate/Zero
Baccano!

I am not crazy about the last few but the other animes I have watched are not worthy of a Top 10. There are also a lot that I have not finished and last episodes are too important for anime series for me to overlook that. Then there are a few shonen I will not even consider because although Naruto is great when it tries there is no way I am rating well a series with hundreds of episodes of filler.

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #244 on: October 12, 2015, 09:30:15 AM »
I would welcome any recommendations based on aforementioned tastes.

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #245 on: October 12, 2015, 09:35:24 AM »

Sword Art Online (2012)
25 eps

After being hounded by my friend to watch this, I finally gave in. The story's about a MMORPG that you can completely immerse yourself into; but what 10,000 people find out after they start to play is that they can't log out. And if you die in the game, you die in real life. Which is ordinary enough. That's just Hunter x Hunter's Greed Island arc. But the show really tries to invest in its main two characters and try to make them believable and make you understand why they would want to partner up; and it mostly works. Also to its benefit are the frequent time skips, which keep you off balance and give heft to the story (the growing love between the two main characters wouldn't really that important if they just had been together for a few days or whatever). Indeed, while the show's more action-y elements are mostly rote and just "okay," I thought the series excelled more when it focused on the romance aspects, and about how they view being stuck in this game as something that created something beautiful. The series' second half kinda kills the dynamic and introduces a much less interesting "villain" while also putting a forth a whole "sister in love with her brother" nonsense and for me is much weaker than the first 14 or so episodes. And this is with me being rather forgiving of the first 14 episodes (they're full of mini detours and little stories that explain a part of the world or a dynamic but ultimately don't amount to much). The only two that were interesting were the ones where they met Yui and the ones where Kirito joins a party for the first time, as they actually give you new information and give much needed depth to the characters. All that said, this is still a very fun series, specially if like me you're always up for those survival kind of shows.

I have all the same problems you do except I am way less forgiving about them. I am also not okay with the series basically becoming a full time romance and almost completely forgoing the action for a while. I started watching this because I wanted to watch, among other things, fights. I found SOA to be shockingly bereft of them. As far as I am concerned, only a small handful of episodes are actually worth it and all things fairy annoy me.

philip918

• Elite Member
« Reply #246 on: October 12, 2015, 11:20:18 AM »

I haven't done a real deep dive into anime, so these are all probably pretty well-known. But for what it's worth:

FLCL is one of my all-time favorite shows. Animated or live-action. Absolutely love it. Only six episodes.

Paranoia Agent - another all-time great. Even the opening credits will stick with you for years.

Serial Experiments Lain

Requiem from the Darkness - this one maybe isn't as well known. Really fun, really, really dark horror series.

Assuming you've seen Cowboy Bebop. I still go back and watch favorite episodes from time to time.

Beavermoose

• Godfather
  • Samsonite! I was way off!
« Reply #247 on: October 12, 2015, 07:45:31 PM »
And Samurai Champloo.

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • If I keep digging maybe I will get out of this hol
« Reply #248 on: October 13, 2015, 03:49:42 AM »

I do not know most of the series you listed, but I will recommend Now and Then, Here and There.

philip918

• Elite Member
« Reply #249 on: October 17, 2015, 11:06:31 AM »
Forgot to mention one of my favorites: Haibane Renmei. Gorgeous show all around.

love