Author Topic: Pixar Appreciation Thread  (Read 59433 times)

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
Re: Pixar Appreciation Thread
« Reply #40 on: June 11, 2008, 11:29:32 PM »
Someone just forced me to borrow Cars.  I imagine it's gonna sit here a while...

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #41 on: June 11, 2008, 11:31:45 PM »
Cars is by no means a bad movie, it's just not as good as the rest of the PixFlix. It's probably the most like what Drac was talking about, a movie for kids.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
  • “By any seeds necessary.”
    • justAtad
« Reply #42 on: June 11, 2008, 11:57:00 PM »
Cars is by no means a bad movie, it's just not as good as the rest of the PixFlix. It's probably the most like what Drac was talking about, a movie for kids.

I actually agree with that. It could be argued that A Bug's Life and Monsters Inc. are also more 'kids films', but I think that those are at least a bit more ambiguous with their themes. Cars is very in your face about what it wants to say. The only things really going for it other than the stunning visuals are the absolutely fun characters. I was totally opposed to Larry the Cable Guy being in the movie, but once I saw the movie I couldn't believe how much I loved Mater. He's like the ultimate best friend, in the dog kind of way almost. So loyal. And again, it is one damn beautiful movie to look at. The blu-ray is constantly in my PS3. That one and Ratatouille.

I really need to see The Pixar Story. It didn't play here in Canada. Neither in a theatre or on TV. It has been confirmed that it will come out on DVD and Blu soon. There is talk that it will be on the Wall-E disc. I can't wait to watch it. Especially if it's a bonus on the blu-ray. Just imagine how awesome Wall-E will look in glorious HD. Oh man. I'm drooling.
"We didn't clean the hamster's cage, the hamster's cage cleaned us!"

Can't get enough FroHam? Read more of my musings at justAtad

Kevin Shields

• Godfather
  • CINECAST! You FLY, Clovis, & FroHam
    • thevoid99's Epinions Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 12, 2008, 12:45:52 AM »
Has anyone checked out The Pixar Story?

I really enjoyed it, especially for the way it made me want to start with Toy Story and proceed to watch all the films again. Except maybe Cars.

I've seen it.  I enjoy watching it.  Yeah, I feel like Cars isn't up to par with the rest of Pixar's work.  Yet, I'll take that film over every other 3-D animated film.
"I want to be bored"-Maggie Gyllenhaal

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #44 on: October 20, 2008, 12:36:25 PM »
Bringing this one back up.  Just rewatched The Incredibles yesterday.  The quality of the storytelling and the animation is still jaw dropping.  Plus I love what it has to say about the heroes we worship, and whether or not it's okay to be special/super.  It gets the message across better than any Superhero film or TV show ever has.

Plus, there's a lot of exciting action and cool moments and that really dark middle when Mr. Incredible thinks he's lost everything he loves.  Amazing film from an amazing filmmaker.

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
    • justAtad
« Reply #45 on: October 20, 2008, 12:46:32 PM »
Bringing this one back up.  Just rewatched The Incredibles yesterday.  The quality of the storytelling and the animation is still jaw dropping.  Plus I love what it has to say about the heroes we worship, and whether or not it's okay to be special/super.  It gets the message across better than any Superhero film or TV show ever has.

Plus, there's a lot of exciting action and cool moments and that really dark middle when Mr. Incredible thinks he's lost everything he loves.  Amazing film from an amazing filmmaker.

Boom. Agreed. Amazing film. Just another reason Bird is clearly a genius and a god among men.

Melvil

• Godfather
  • Eek
« Reply #46 on: October 20, 2008, 01:01:11 PM »
The Incredibles still amazes me every time I watch it. It's a masterpiece, and not just of animation.

Thor

• Godfather
    • KTQ
« Reply #47 on: October 20, 2008, 02:56:05 PM »
The Incredibles still amazes me every time I watch it. It's a masterpiece, and not just of animation.

I was on mushrooms the first time I saw it in the cinema. Amazing indeed. Hard to top that experience, but its almost just as good when sober.
Wanting for Thor what Thor wants for Thor.

roujin

• Objectively Awesome
  • it's all research
« Reply #48 on: October 20, 2008, 03:10:34 PM »
Pixar ranked?

1. Toy Story
2. Ratatouille
3. Finding Nemo
4. Wall-E
5. The Incredibles
6. Toy Story 2
7. Monster's Inc.
8. A Bug's Life

9. Cars

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
    • justAtad
« Reply #49 on: October 20, 2008, 03:47:08 PM »
Pixar ranked?

1. Toy Story
2. Ratatouille
3. Finding Nemo
4. Wall-E
5. The Incredibles
6. Toy Story 2
7. Monster's Inc.
8. A Bug's Life

9. Cars

People shit all over Cars and it's not warranted. Its just as good, if not better than A Bug's Life. I think it's just because Pixar came out with Finding Nemo and The Incredibles and because Cars was disappointing after those people think of it as worse than it is.

love