Author Topic: Pixar Appreciation Thread  (Read 59414 times)

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
  • “By any seeds necessary.”
    • justAtad
Pixar Appreciation Thread
« on: June 05, 2008, 05:55:50 PM »
Pixar = Awesome

I know it. You know. We all know it. Except Matty, who clearly knows nothing.

And this is the thread where we can discuss all things Pixar. Even the haters are welcome to post here. Obviously the main topic for now would be Wall-E, since it comes out later this month, but we can talk about their past films as well as their upcoming slate.

For those who don't remeber, the Pixar Animation films are as follows:

Toy Story (1995)
A Bug's Life (1998)
Toy Story 2 (1999)
Monsters Inc. (2001)
Finding Nemo (2003)
The Incredibles (2004)
Cars (2006)
Ratatouille (2007)

Upcoming films include:

Wall-E (2008)
Up (2009)
Toy Story 3 (2010)
Newt (Summer 2011)
The Bear and the Bow (Fall 2011)
Cars 2 (2012)

So let's start with Wall-E.

I think there's really no question that Wall-E looks to be a fantastic film. Each new trailer and ad featuring Wall-E just makes the cute little robot even more endearing. With a love story plot set on the backdrop of the saving of humanity and with the film being at least 50-60% no dialogue, Wall-E looks to be Pixar's most courageous offering. Pixar is also known for breathtaking visuals and animation and if the trailers are any indication Wall-E is going to blow away everything they've done up until now. It also looks like from a sci-fi point of view this movie will put the entire 70s Sci-Fi marathon to shame. I hope it does, and I hope it's as great as it looks.

Thoughts?
"We didn't clean the hamster's cage, the hamster's cage cleaned us!"

Can't get enough FroHam? Read more of my musings at justAtad

Kevin Shields

• Godfather
  • CINECAST! You FLY, Clovis, & FroHam
    • thevoid99's Epinions Profile
Re: Pixar Appreciation Thread
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2008, 06:09:17 PM »
Probably one of the best studios to put out top-quality films.

From masterpieces like Toy Story 1 & 2, Finding Nemo, The Incredibles, and Ratatouille to solid pictures like A Bug's Life and Monsters Inc..  I liked Cars for its look and entertaining value though I think it's their weakest film so far.  Yet, I'll take Cars over everyone else's 3-D animated films.  WALL-E is clearly the film I'm most anticipated for thanks to its trailers and such.  I bet it's going to be a masterpiece and I'm anxious for what's to come from the studio including Toy Story 3.
"I want to be bored"-Maggie Gyllenhaal

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2008, 06:24:27 PM »
Every Pixar movie is at least great. The Incredibles is in my top 10 movies of all time. They are amazing.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

lise

• Elite Member
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2008, 06:36:01 PM »
I love love love Finding Nemo and Monsters Inc. but I'll admit Ratatouille and Cars fell a little flat for me... that being said I go see everything they put out, which I can't say for any other studio around
Strikeouts are boring - besides that, they're fascist.  Throw some ground balls.  More democratic.

duder

• Elite Member
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2008, 06:37:17 PM »
So, anyone else bothered by the racist/xenophobic undertones in A Bug's Life, or is it just me?

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
    • justAtad
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2008, 07:02:09 PM »
So, anyone else bothered by the racist/xenophobic undertones in A Bug's Life, or is it just me?

You're going to have to explain them there undertones.

lise

• Elite Member
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2008, 07:33:29 PM »
i certainly didn't
Strikeouts are boring - besides that, they're fascist.  Throw some ground balls.  More democratic.

sdedalus

• Objectively Awesome
  • I have a prestigious blog, sir!
    • The End of Cinema
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2008, 08:50:25 PM »
Isn't that the one that's a remake of Seven Samurai?
The End of Cinema

Seattle Screen Scene

"He was some kind of a man. What does it matter what you say about people?"

StarCarly

• Elite Member
  • Something about a pillow.
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2008, 10:23:27 PM »

I would put Toy Story, Toy Story 2, Finding Nemo, and Monster's Inc in my personal top 150. Ratatouille, A Bug's Life, and The Incredibles just didn't work quite as well for me. I haven't seen Cars yet, but I know so many kids that are still crazy about it.

The thing that Pixar movies do so well is creating interesting, lovable, visually stunning characters that adults can relate to, while their kids are having pure fun. Sulley from Monsters Inc. would have to be my favorite.
"I've been very lonely in my isolated tower of indecipherable speech."

Films Watched in 2017

Letterboxd

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
    • justAtad
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2008, 11:01:28 PM »
Isn't that the one that's a remake of Seven Samurai?

It's not really a remake per se, but it's definitely inspired by it. Similar to how The Lion King is in many ways inspired by Hamlet. A Bug's Life would be my least favourite of Pixars films. I find the characters, while generally very funny, are not the most memorable and interesting other than Heimlich the caterpillar. As much as people rag on Cars and its pedestrian story and overly simplistic themes it does have wonderfully memorable characters populating its world. In fact, because of the characters Cars actually becomes more enjoyable every time I see it. It's like meeting up with good friends when I watch Cars.

I would put Toy Story, Toy Story 2, Finding Nemo, and Monster's Inc in my personal top 150. Ratatouille, A Bug's Life, and The Incredibles just didn't work quite as well for me. I haven't seen Cars yet, but I know so many kids that are still crazy about it.

The thing that Pixar movies do so well is creating interesting, lovable, visually stunning characters that adults can relate to, while their kids are having pure fun. Sulley from Monsters Inc. would have to be my favorite.

I'm sorry Ratatouille and The Incredibles didn't quite work for you, they are both favourites of mine. Finding Nemo is also extremely high on my all-time favourites list. Its adventurous and hilarious and the animation is stunning with outstanding voicework to match. What really makes Nemo special though is how deep and layered it is in its themes. The fact that Andrew Stanton wrote and directed Finding Nemo AND wrote and directed Wall-E is half the reason I'm excited for Wall-E.

And with regards to Matty's comments on the show about Pixar films just being about selling toys, he is dead wrong. I think he maybe be confusing Puxar with Disney. It is well known the Pixar is focused and quality of storytelling above everything else. Their films aren't created in boardrooms for marketing purposes. Each film is director-driven and the studio provides all resources necessary for the film to be great. In fact, it is well known that Disney was quite worried after the Pixar acquisition because they were suddenly stuck with the job of marketing and selling toys for Ratatouille. Rat was to be Pixar's first release minus Disney and now Disney was forced to sell a film they were not at all involved in and to top it off the film was nearly impossible to sell merchandise for. Pixar has always been about creating great quality films that everyone can enjoy. They have the single greatest track record in Hollywood history and I think that if Andrew Stanton or any of the creative minds at pixar heard Matty's problems with their films they might even be offended. Maybe we should campaign for Matty to do a marathon of all the Puxar films and he'll actually be able to see how great each one is, not just as a kids movie, but as a film and a work of art.

love