love

Author Topic: Pixar Appreciation Thread  (Read 59416 times)

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
Re: Pixar Appreciation Thread
« Reply #380 on: August 10, 2013, 01:29:00 AM »
Amy Poehler as Joy sounds true to life.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #381 on: August 10, 2013, 07:43:35 AM »
What's Meat Boy doing in a Pixar film? :o

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #382 on: August 10, 2013, 08:47:44 AM »
Yeah, what the CINECAST!, Team Meat needs to get their legal team out there. A new low for Pixar.

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #383 on: April 11, 2014, 06:17:10 PM »

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #384 on: April 12, 2014, 01:05:55 PM »
That's a great discovery. What a bizarre look to sell on Woody's face.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #385 on: January 17, 2018, 10:19:14 PM »
I have a new favorite Pixar easter egg.

Inside Out contains a line of dialogue that is referring to Coco. It's a Spoiler for Coco so...

When Joy is trying to get Sadness to be happy, Sadness says "Remember the funny movie where the dog dies?" This is a line Joy repeats later on to try to cheer Sadness up. The line works fine by itself as a bit of absurd humor, but I could never think of an actual funny movie where a dog dies. That's because it's a reference to Coco, and the fate of Dante.

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #386 on: January 17, 2018, 10:33:27 PM »
I have a new favorite Pixar easter egg.

Inside Out contains a line of dialogue that is referring to Coco. It's a Spoiler for Coco so...

When Joy is trying to get Sadness to be happy, Sadness says "Remember the funny movie where the dog dies?" This is a line Joy repeats later on to try to cheer Sadness up. The line works fine by itself as a bit of absurd humor, but I could never think of an actual funny movie where a dog dies. That's because it's a reference to Coco, and the fate of Dante.

What about Barking Dogs Never Bite?

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #387 on: January 18, 2018, 12:08:35 AM »
What about Frankenweenie?
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #388 on: January 18, 2018, 07:20:06 AM »
Also, Coco is not funny.
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

matbezlima

« Reply #389 on: June 06, 2018, 09:24:14 PM »
Sequels are not a bad thing by themselves. Many cinephiles today are demonizing sequels, dismissing each new announced sequel as pure Hollywood cash grab. I agree that there are too many sequels, but the amount of cash grab sequels are making many cinephiles too cynical towards them, and I understand the feelings.

But what I say is: when we love a movie and its characters, we are often left with the feeling of wanting more, as if they were friends that we don't want to depart forever. It is a delight re-encounter our favorite characters having new adventures, and some movies are open to a sequel. In the past, I used to love every sequel, today I know that some movies should be left alone.

Pixar in the last years has made too many sequels without need. For example, I freaking love Finding Nemo, but I was extremely surprised to see that a sequel was being made. I don't think that I ever saw Finding Nemo as a movie that I wanted a sequel. In fact, Pixar's movies are so well closed in itself that it makes impossible for almost them having a sequel. The only exceptions are Toy Story and Incredibles. Both movies have well-defined stories with well defined character arcs that are perfectly ended, but, different of movies like Monsters Inc., Ratatouille, Wall-E and Up, there is nothing about them that really closes the possibilities of a sequel. And after watching them, you are left really wanting to see more. Incredibles 2 is probably Pixar's most requested sequel ever, unlike Finding Dory, Monsters University and especially the Cars sequel. Every time that Pixar announced these sequels, there were tons of criticism and people saying: "why not doing a sequel for Incredibles, instead of this?"

Incredibles 2 is my most anticipated movie in the rest of this year by far. I don't know if it will be as great as the original, but I think that it will be at least a very good movie, I trust Brad Bird and his genuine love for what he does. He said in interviews that from a commercial standpoint, there is no sense to wait this long and that money is not what gets him on table, and I have no reason, based in his career, to doubt him in this aspect.

Another thing that I loved is that he did not age the characters. Many people felt that since 14 years have passed since the first movie's release, the characters should be aged also. I could not disagree more. I want to re-encounter my favorite characters as they were last time, and developing them from there. It is a personal preference that I have for any sequel, and the real-life time lapse did not affect that. As Bird said, it is an animation and as long as you have the same vocal cast, you don't need to age the characters, you can do like The Simpsons, this is eactly what he said and I fully agree. He also said that he considered aging the characters, but soon tought "No, that would suck", in his words. If they were aged, you would lose their Family dinamic established in the first movie, specially the fascinating aspects of being a shy teenager, a energetic young boy and a baby and how their powers are related to their personalities and roles in their family. I, matbezlima, love since always teenager or children super-heros. Static Show was for me one of my most beloved cartoons. This kind of young super-heroes were and are so easily likeable, cool, thriling, identifiable and interesting for ne. Ever since I was a child, I always dreamed of doing a movie starred by children super-heroes. So, you can see how Violet and Dash would easily lose a lot of their original appeal and interest for me, matbezlima, if they were aged. Brad Bird also said that he is not interested in a old Jack-Jack and that he did not want to lose his chance to show how the family discovered their powers.

Returning to the overall sequel theme, there are many great sequels in history. I don't know how it could be good a world without Empire Strikes Back. Star Wars was well closed in itself, but there were so many paths to explore the characters and the wonderful and rich universe that Lucas created that I would honestly consider a tragedy if they never had made a sequel to Star Wars, almost in the same way that I never accepted Incredibles not having a sequel in all these years.

I say again: even if The Incredibles 2 ends up not being as fantastic as the original (an insanely hard challenge considering how crazily fantastic and clever the original was in every sense), I think that it will be at least a good and worthy sequel that won't feel as pure cash grab and we'll be glad that it was made, even if only long 14 years after...