Author Topic: Michael Powell Marathon?  (Read 1759 times)

altgodkub

• http://www.myspace.com/powellfan
Michael Powell Marathon?
« on: July 14, 2006, 09:03:25 AM »
Over the past few years, as his films with and without Emeric Pressburger work their way onto DVD, I've been falling hard for him. I even met his widow Thelma Schoonmaker while she was signing copies of Raging Bull and all either of us really wanted to talk about was when his masterpiece A Matter of Life and Death was going to be released on R1 DVD. (It still hasn't happened.)

I'd suggest something like this for a marathon:

The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp
I Know Where I'm Going
The Red Shoes
Black Narcissus
The Tales of Hoffmann
Peeping Tom

Kilroy'sCarnival

Michael Powell Marathon?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2006, 01:50:28 PM »
What a coincidence, as I just posted a similar idea (one I'd held back on for quite a while) in the Marathons area.  Even scarier, our lists are identical! (except for Peeping Tom as I was proposing a P&P marathon, not just Powell.) Hope you saw, A Canterbury Tale is out in a month or so on Criterion DVD.

How nice that you got to meet Thelma Schoonmaker. The most I can boast is that I listened to the repeat of her interview on Fresh Air with Terry Gross on NPR over the July 4th week.  Good stuff if you missed it, and you can stream the interview online from freshair.com. (Assuming, we're all friends of public radio around here.) Actually today's show sounds good too -- Robert Downey, Jr. and Steve Coogan, and David Edelstein reviews Mamet's Edmond brought to the big screen.