Author Topic: Top Five Movies of the Year (so far. . .)  (Read 7460 times)

wilson1290

Top Five Movies of the Year (so far. . .)
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2006, 11:15:47 PM »
**UPDATE**

Thought I should update my list too since there were a couple films Ive seen the past couple weeks that bump some others off my list.

5. Inside Man (B-)

4. The Devil & Daniel Johnson (B+): One of the few bio-pics (Documentary or Narrative) that move beyond pure fan adoration and delve deep into the true history of their subject.
3. A Scanner Darkly (B+): Saw this today, a great flick with an innovative look
2. A Prairie Home Companion (A-)
1. An Inconvinient Truth (A): Literally scared me into changing my lifestyle to make it more eco-friendly. Any other film this year is gonna have to try real hard to knock this off the top of my list.
And so we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past."

kevdo

• http://www.the-frat-pack.com
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2006, 06:18:54 PM »
I voted for Other, because I liked The Break-Up as the best movie so far this year (admit, though, I haven't seen a ton of movies this year).
Kevin Crossman - official Filmspotting nemesis
Sam Van Hallgren Nickname: "Captain Bullseye"
The Frat Pack Tribute at www.The-Frat-Pack.com

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
top five so far
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2006, 03:25:29 PM »
1) Pirates of the Caribbean- no bad parts= a great movie

2) A Prarie Home Companion- so many good people in such a great movie

3) MI:III - one of the best action movies in the last couple of years, excluding Pirates, of course

4) Inside Man - wasn't expecting much, and it turned out to be a great complex movie

5) Superman Returns - yes, it is a little boring at points, but Kevin Spacey is undeniably evil as Lex Luthor. That part in the trailer where he yells WRONG is what made me see this movie. And I wasn't dissappointed
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

Nunis

• Not that it matters, but most of it is true.
    • Shoot the Glass
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2006, 06:18:36 AM »
Hi all. Long time listener, but so far only lurker on the boards. Here is my top 5 so far.

1. United 93 - Beautiful and heartbreaking; very difficult to watch, but a must-see.
2. Thank You for Smoking - Finally a smart comedy. Superb performance by Aaron Eckhart; hysterical, cynical and clever.
3. Brick - Gorgeous neo-noir with an excellent performance by Joseph Gordon-Levitt. An absolutely delightful original movie.
4. Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest - Yeah, what can I say? I have a soft spot for a certain... villain.

Yeah, that's it really for 2006 releases. I should note though that we didn't get the big awards contenders until February or March here (like Capote, which I loved), so we're kinda trying to catch up. As my number 5, therefore, I will add Nine Lives from last year. Wonderful movie, really heartfelt and with a slew of brilliant performances.

Glad to finally have taken the step to register here; hope to talk to you all soon.
Flight of Angeldust

joker

• Elite Member
  • CINECAST! off
Top 5
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2006, 06:23:25 AM »
Just saw some sneak peaks yesterday, and here are me current top 5

Superman Returns @ #1

Miami Vice @ #2

Monster House @ #3

Mission Impossible 3 @ #4

Clerks II & Pirates 2 @ #5
"This movie made me laugh so hard, I had mild headaches. So I went to the doctor to get checked out, I'm currently awaiting results"
-Gene Siskel

Nunis

• Shoot the Glass
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2006, 06:24:29 AM »
Miami Vice, really? It looks craptastic (and someone please explain to me the appeal of Colin Farrell).
Flight of Angeldust

joker

• Elite Member
  • CINECAST! off
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2006, 07:13:13 AM »
Quote from: "Nunis"
Miami Vice, really? It looks craptastic (and someone please explain to me the appeal of Colin Farrell).

yeah, it's really good...... I normally don't care for Collin, I think he's a sleaze bag, but you know what, it worked in this film..... I fell in love with the look this movie had, it was shot using the Viper cam (same one that Collateral used), where it looks kinda grainy at night, but once the daytime comes, it's is colorful and great, cinematography is outstanding in the film... story is great

they are actually no opening credits, you see the Universal logo, then boom, your in the middle of the film, no set up, no nothing, they throw you in without explanation, at first you are confused, but just give it twenty minutes, I also love it that they gave the Jazz guy from Collateral a big role in this film

Miami Vice kicks butt..... it's a Michael Mann film people, one of the best directors working today
"This movie made me laugh so hard, I had mild headaches. So I went to the doctor to get checked out, I'm currently awaiting results"
-Gene Siskel

winrit

• Elite Member
  • “Positively the same dame.”
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2006, 07:45:40 AM »
and what about Clerks II?
"Kickboxing. Sport of the future."

Nunis

• Shoot the Glass
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2006, 04:38:14 AM »
Well, jokernick, I guess I will have to check that out then. I know for sure my boyfriend wants to see it; he revels in garbage usually (I had to bribe him with dinner to get out of seeing Tokyo Drift). I don't like Farrell, and never really saw the Jamie Foxx appeal either (man, did you guys see Stealth?), but maybe I'll give it a shot. I mean, who doesn't like Michael Mann?
Flight of Angeldust

joker

• Elite Member
  • CINECAST! off
Re: Top 5
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2006, 07:51:47 AM »
Quote from: "jokernick"
Just saw some sneak peaks yesterday, and here are me current top 5

Superman Returns @ #1

Miami Vice @ #2

Monster House @ #3

Mission Impossible 3 @ #4

Clerks II & Pirates 2 @ #5

well, after seeing a few more movies, I have to change my top 5, yet again....

1. Superman Returns (still awesome, loved his speech about air travel, plus I am drinking a Superman Energy drink right now, can't get enough, Will be getting a Superman tattoo next week also!!)

2. Miami Vice

3.  World Trade Center (wow, I've never been so disturbered, so terrified in my life, very powerful movie)

4.  Monster House

5. Clerks II (sorry Pirates)

Lady in the Water I aslo saw, not bad, sorry guys, no twist ending in this one...... I aslo saw Taladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby.... it was okay, not as good as the 40 year old Virgin, about par with Anchorman....
-Gene Siskel