Author Topic: Top Five Movies of the Year (so far. . .)  (Read 8868 times)

john daum

Top Five Movies of the Year (so far. . .)
« on: June 19, 2006, 04:06:25 PM »
i must admit to being a bit suprised by the some of the movies listed in the filmspotting poll for best movies of the year so far. maybe i need to go back and listen to some episodes but i thought V for Vendetta got shredded by sam and adam and that they were a tad underwhelmed by Inside Man. [maybe i was the one underwhelmed by Inside Man. . . .]
i know it's just a poll, but besides Brick and United 93, the choices seem lackluster. i guess that's why they have "other" as a choice.

wait. . . i just checked metacritic.com and the poll choices are all some of the best reviewed movies so far this year. . . my bad. . . wow. . .what a year so far. . . [i know it will get better. . . A Scanner Darkly!]

anyway. . . my top five-ish movies of the year so far. . . in no order

*the three burials of melquiades estrada
*the proposition
*the break up
*brick
*down in the valley
*the new world

now for the record, i was going by wide theatrical release dates- hence three burials and the new world. . . am i allowed to do that??

CSSCHNEIDER

• Elite Member
  • I Shoot Movies, Don't I?
    • http://csschneideraccounts.blogspot.com/
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2006, 07:56:46 PM »
Generally Three Burials and New World would count for last year as they were up for last years awards.  I would agree that this year has been week thus far.  I've been real disappointed.  I havn't seen Unite 93 yet, but most everything else has been crap.

Thus far...

1.Dave Chapelle's Block Party
2.Mission :  Impossible 3
3.Cars
4.N/A
5.N/A

I can't even make a top 5 list.
I'll hopefully see United 93 this week, and Brick is finally coming to Winston-Salem in like 2 weeks.
Taste is discerning, not all encompassing.

It's Not What You're Like, It's What You Like

Know the Difference Between Arts and Crafts

"Pain is Temporary, Film is Forever..." --John Milius

Winner! BFCS Iconoclast Award 2007

Kevin Shields

• Godfather
  • CINECAST! You FLY, Clovis, & FroHam
    • thevoid99's Epinions Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2006, 09:50:31 PM »
I don't have a top 5 list either.  I wish I saw more films this year.  I hope to make up for the 2nd half.  Here's my list, so far.

1. A Prairie Home Companion
2. V for Vendetta
3. X-Men 3
"I want to be bored"-Maggie Gyllenhaal

john daum

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2006, 07:31:15 AM »
good point about the awards season criteria. . . i didn't think of that, i was kinda stretching to find five movies to put on the list. i have heard great things about Cars and Dave Chapelle's Block Party but i have not seen either. this seems to be a pretty weak movie year so far, even when you take into account the spring movie "dumping" season and the summer movie blockbuster season.

wilson1290

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2006, 01:39:07 PM »
5. Brick: I am not a fan of the film noir genre but this film had me glued to the screen.

4. United 93: While I think the film got slightly overrated for being the first movie to tackle 9/11, its still a pretty good effort.

3. Cars: If you havent seen this film yet, go watch it. Its not as good as The Incredibles, but Pixar has once again proved they are the gods of animation.

2. Inside Man: A lot of people who saw the film didnt like it, I actually had a pretty good time at this flick, but that could be just because im a die-hard Spike Lee fan.

1. A Prairie Home Companion: Okay, you definately have to be a fan of country music, or Robert Altman to enjoy this film since its chock full of both. I fortunately am a fan and definately got my money's worth, and Maryl Streep and Lily Tomlin are a hoot to watch together.

Wow, so far this year has really been awful for film, looking back at my top 5 list the only one I would add to my DVD collection is Praire Home Companion, but I still have hope. Last year my favorite films all came out in the last month of the year, and this year Zodiac, All The King's Men, and Babel look like theyre going to be great.
And so we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past."

joker

• Elite Member
  • CINECAST! off
my top 5
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2006, 08:28:34 AM »
5. Hills have Eyes………. Not sure if you guys saw this or not, this movie gave me so much nostolgia when I saw it, I had to go home and watch every 70s horror film I own.  This movie is pure violence, it’s great to finally see a “hard R” horror film, instead of these PG-13 films that make you sick to your stomach, not because of the gore or violence, but just because you just blew 30 bucks to go see the film.

4. Cars……….. Cute, funny…….. another great Pixar film

3. Inside Man

2. Mission Imposible 3……… This movie was great for 2 reasons, Simon “Shaun of the Dead” Pegg (kinda rhymed), and the MAN, the LEGEND, and the MAN THAT SHARTED, Phillip Seymour Hoffman…….

And my favorite movie so far this year……… and yes it’s cheating, kind of, I saw a special sneak preview this past week………. He is back

Superman Returns…………… this movie was awesome, best movie I have seen so far….. the cast is great, Brandon Routh is undoubtly Superman, when I went in, I was expecting not much from him but a C. Reeves clone, nope, he holds his own……. He is great as Superman,…… Bosworth does a great job as Louis Lane, she may not look old enough, but the way she plays Lane makes you think she was been a reporter for years………… Spacey is awesome as Luther, he’s got that self believing genius, yet completely insane persona down (they need to make John Doe the movie, lol)……. Jimmy Olsen is great as well as James Mardsen (Cyclops), they make his character, which could easily have been made into a “Clark Kent’s villain” role, into a sympathic, courageous everyday guy, who you can relate too…….. every action scene is great, and a scene in the movie, with Clark’s mom towards the end is so good, it is so emotional, you see her, in a crowd of people, you can tell she wants to go to Superman, but she knows she can’t, and you can feel for her, it’s her son, but only hers in her world, no one can know……. It’s really a great movie guys, I hope youall  enjoy it, you may or may not like the twist towards the end, but I will share with you why I think this twist makes the movie, and Superman’s quest, all the more impactful……………

Now for my top, there were so bad, they made me cry that I wasted my money on them, list

X3……..  it SUCKED so much.........

Da Vinci Code……… record number of “wrist watch checks” in my movie going life

Nacho Libre………… Mehhh, comes to mind

Over the Hedge……… blah blah, and did I mention……. Blah?

United 93…………… this movie was good, but I wasn’t ready for it, it was hard to sit through,

And lastly

D…… for Dissapointing……. Major fan of the Graphic novel, if the directors were more concerned about getting the overall premise and message that the graphic novel delivered everyone, instead of them worrying about getting a sex change, they may have made a good film, they missed the mark big time
"This movie made me laugh so hard, I had mild headaches. So I went to the doctor to get checked out, I'm currently awaiting results"
-Gene Siskel

winrit

• Elite Member
  • Positively the same dame.
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2006, 10:27:54 AM »
jokernick, have you seen the original Hills Have Eyes, directed by Wes Craven?  If your delving into 70's horror.
"Kickboxing. Sport of the future."

joker

• Elite Member
  • CINECAST! off
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2006, 10:44:05 AM »
Quote from: "winrit"
jokernick, have you seen the original Hills Have Eyes, directed by Wes Craven?  If your delving into 70's horror.

yes i did, I saw it after the remake........ i like the original, but felt the canibals weren't as terrifying as the ones from the remake, the one thing I liked more about the original is that each canibal seemed to have it's own character, each one clearly had a name and a different personality, in the remake, I had no idea who Jupiter was or the rest of the gang, and the all seemed to kind of blur together, minus Ruby of course.

I liked the hole politcal underscore that the remake carried, how right wing conservatives basically created these mutants, then the mutants reak havok on the gun loving people that basically represented who created them, and in the end, it takes a liberal man resorting to be the thing he hates, being violent, being conservative, in order to live and save the thing he loves.......... it plays on both ends of the political spectrum IMO............
"This movie made me laugh so hard, I had mild headaches. So I went to the doctor to get checked out, I'm currently awaiting results"
-Gene Siskel

NichBoy

• http://www.mytightlittlespace.com
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2006, 08:53:27 PM »
5. V For Vendetta

4. Brick

3. Little Miss Sunshine

2. Thank You For Smoking

1. Brokeback Mountain (I know this was released late last year in the States, but over here it came out in January - thought this would be ok because The Proposition came out here a over a year ago and it's only now getting a US release (it kicks ass, by the way)).

Also very excited about Superman Returns (besides myself, actually), A Scanner Darkly, Flags Of Our Fathers, Pirates of the Caribbean.
hese are my principles. If you don't like them, I have others.

CSSCHNEIDER

• Elite Member
  • I Shoot Movies, Don't I?
    • http://csschneideraccounts.blogspot.com/
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2006, 08:07:27 PM »
**UPDATE**

Alright, I know I could have just edited, but I wanted to revive this post a bit here.  I still haven't seen United 93 unfortunately, but I'm updating my list.

1.Superman Returns (A-)
2.Hostel (B)
3.Block Party (B)
4.MI:3 (B)
5.Cars (B)

There, that is my updated list as of July 7, 2006.  This year has been truely abismal.  I say it every year, but I am certain that this is thus far the weakest year of the new millenium, I'm depressed.  The summer has barely started and I only have 2, maybe three movies to look forward to for the next few months.  Will December ever get here?  Pirates was such a let down I'm just feeling really upset.  I need to go make a movie to get out of this suckfest 2006 has become. Frown and Double Frown. :cry:
Taste is discerning, not all encompassing.

It's Not What You're Like, It's What You Like

Know the Difference Between Arts and Crafts

"Pain is Temporary, Film is Forever..." --John Milius

Winner! BFCS Iconoclast Award 2007

love