Author Topic: An Open Letter to ...  (Read 159805 times)

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
Re: An Open Letter to ...
« Reply #1040 on: April 12, 2010, 10:50:25 PM »
Dear Amazon.com,

You are a dumbass company. Canada is not located on the god damn moon, so please quite being a bunch of horses' asses and agree to ship what I want to buy! Also, I'm not paying 52$ on .ca when it's 45$ on .com. F*ck you! Our space dollars are worth just as much as yours.

Subject of the Queen,
smirnoff

DrKimble

• Elite Member
« Reply #1041 on: April 13, 2010, 04:40:19 AM »
Our space dollars are worth just as much as yours.
:D Dang, someone's pissed off!
"Do you remember what I told you in the tunnel?"

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #1042 on: April 13, 2010, 05:48:55 AM »
I'll get over it. :)

DrKimble

• Elite Member
« Reply #1043 on: April 13, 2010, 07:31:07 AM »
That's how revolutions are lost.

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #1044 on: April 13, 2010, 07:49:26 AM »
That's a good point. I'll write them a real nasty letter, as soon as I'm done ordering that dvd I said I wouldn't.

edgar00

• 00 Agent
  • Objectively Awesome
  • corndogs are better than Die Another Day
    • Between The Seats
« Reply #1045 on: April 13, 2010, 11:55:45 PM »
Dear MGM,

For the love of god get your shit together.

edgar00
-Le Chiffre: You changed your shirt, Mr Bond. I hope our little game isn't causing you to perspire.

-James Bond: A little. But I won't consider myself to be in trouble until I start weeping blood.

https://twitter.com/Betweentheseats
http://crabkeyheadquarters.wordpress.com/

DrKimble

• Elite Member
« Reply #1046 on: April 14, 2010, 03:36:53 AM »
That's a good point. I'll write them a real nasty letter, as soon as I'm done ordering that dvd I said I wouldn't.
Yep, they got you by the bees.

DrKimble

• Elite Member
« Reply #1047 on: April 20, 2010, 02:51:22 AM »
Dear Swiss movie theaters

This country has been a global role model for a working multicultural and especially multilingual society. 'The back of the box' was in Italian, German and French, nobody gave two s*its about what religion you're practicing and most importantly movies had their original audiotrack. We relied on the English learned at school to understand the spoken words or if we couldn't decipher Robert Downey Jr.'s mumbling we relied on subtitles.

All that is in the past.

Now, dear Swiss cinema, you're nothing but a uni-language, corporate-obedient whore catering to an increasingly lazy audience. The closest cinema playing Clash of the Titans or Kick-Ass in English are in Zurich. That's a two hour drive. I know you have more prestigious customers but if you think those who will not accept French movies to be dubbed define you why are you alienating them? Yes, I did notice those posters advertising a dubbed version of Bienvenue chez les Ch'tis, a movie in which the different French dialects are integral to story and characters. That is lost in translation. You are turning into a dull creature, indistinguishable from a big, fat 12 auditorium theater abomination in a mall in which the selection of snacks is more important then the movies playing. Your menu used to be exquisite. Movies from all around the globe were playing and often an Iranian drama, a British comedy or an American Indie would be the most seen movie for weeks. Hollywood and the rest of the world lived in harmony and balance. The very idea of Switzerland, peaceful coexistence, was nowhere more evident then on Thursday's newspaper with reviews of new releases and the boxoffice charts. Variety was key. Now only independent cinemas in major cities can afford playing smaller movies and only specialized theaters show blockbusters in English - major cities being Zurich and Bern. I hear Basel has fallen.

I give up. I'm beat. DVD is my new home now. For the record: Swiss cinema, go CINECAST! yourself.

flieger

« Reply #1048 on: April 20, 2010, 03:35:56 AM »
Sorry, DrK. Sounds demoralising.  :(

Tim

• Elite Member
  • Be excellent to each other
« Reply #1049 on: April 20, 2010, 05:52:44 AM »
DrK, are they just playing the crap dubbed German stuff everywhere now? It was so hard to find an English film in English when I was there, in fact it was hard to find any film that was in anything other than German.
"Only cinema narrows its concern down to its content, that is to its story. It should, instead, concern itself with its form, its structure." Peter Greenaway

love