love

Author Topic: An Open Letter to ...  (Read 159731 times)

DrKimble

• Elite Member
Re: An Open Letter to ...
« Reply #1050 on: April 20, 2010, 06:05:32 AM »
I'd say it started around five years ago and has gotten progressively worse. Example Hollywood blockbusters: You almost always had the choice between either seeing them dubbed or with the original audiotrack with subtitles.

There are a total of around 25 auditoriums in a 60 mile radius with four movies playing in the original audiotrack right now. It used to be even. I particularly bugs me with animated movies. The voices are especially important in those movies and even though dubbing studios are doing a pretty good job so much is lost in translation.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2010, 06:09:41 AM by DrKimble »
"Do you remember what I told you in the tunnel?"

Colleen

• Hot Fuzz
  • Godfather
  • Let's be careful out there!
« Reply #1051 on: April 20, 2010, 11:14:25 AM »
As one of those lazy Americans who can't be bothered to learn other languages yadda yadda yadda I have to say I despise dubbing and will always choose to see a movie in the original language with subtitles if I have any choice at all.

tinyholidays

• Elite Member
  • It's a hard world for little things.
« Reply #1052 on: April 20, 2010, 11:20:05 AM »
Yeah, I pretty much refuse to watch something if its dubbed. I wish Netflix Watch Instantly had subtitle options for movies that they've uploaded as dubbed, but I guess that's too complicated.

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #1053 on: April 20, 2010, 11:56:14 AM »
If the same script is being used there is no difference in hearing someone say a phrase and reading the same exact phrase. The Wrath of God is still a pretty damn good film despite the dubs/subs/anything else.

DrKimble

• Elite Member
« Reply #1054 on: April 20, 2010, 02:05:56 PM »
I didn't want to make the impression dubbing should be banned entirely. If someone simply prefers not to read when watching a movie so be it. That's perfectly fine. My point was you used to have a choice. It's that option I dearly miss. As Colleen said, if given the choice she goes with the original audiotrack. I'm the same way. But wait, I'm a fool. It's probably best to play the latest Harry Potter in German for ten weeks in two half empty auditoriums of the same theater instead of having a German and an English version. Sorry, I think at this point I'm just repeating myself, basically rephrasing my rant. I'm just fed up with this bullshit. It's well past an annoyance. They frickin' ruined going to the movies for people like me and I loved going to the movies. I used to go around fifty to sixty times a year. I've gone to the movies twice this year so far. I'll shut up now. This belongs in the 'I just need to whimper' thread anyway.

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #1055 on: April 20, 2010, 03:00:13 PM »
You sound like you're on the verge of getting a real mugshot taken. :)

DrKimble

• Elite Member
« Reply #1056 on: April 20, 2010, 04:00:56 PM »
I'm told to have a bad temper. Just keep any sharp objects out of reach and everybody should be fine.

pixote

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Up with generosity!
    • yet more inanities!
« Reply #1057 on: April 30, 2010, 04:36:43 PM »
Dear Anonymous Person of the Opposite Sex Who Had the Grocery Store Cashier Pass Your Phone Number Along to Me on a Tightly Folded Piece of Paper,

Sorry in advance for never getting back to you.

Respect!

pixote
Great  |  Near Great  |  Very Good  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Mixed  |  Middling  |  Bad

alexarch

• Godfather
« Reply #1058 on: April 30, 2010, 04:39:19 PM »
Dear Anonymous Person of the Opposite Sex Who Had the Grocery Store Cashier Pass Your Phone Number Along to Me on a Tightly Folded Piece of Paper,

Respect!

pixote
It's funny how a look of curiosity mixed with mild revulsion can look like a come-on.

tinyholidays

• Elite Member
  • It's a hard world for little things.
« Reply #1059 on: April 30, 2010, 04:49:51 PM »

Respect!

pixote

Weird. Don't they know to use the Missed Connections section of Craigslist?