love

Author Topic: An Open Letter to ...  (Read 159733 times)

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
Re: An Open Letter to ...
« Reply #1310 on: November 11, 2015, 12:00:17 AM »
As someone who recently shed my movie-obsessiveness (and with it, much of my participation in this forum), I understand and support this. Our hobbies shouldn't consume us or obscure our view of what we want to do with our lives.

Don't be a stranger. Share your discoveries, when you come across them. Share your life too... we care about that.

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #1311 on: November 11, 2015, 12:17:35 AM »
Yeah, I'm happy for you. You've always been a big organizer here, with projects and marathons and such, but that stuff only matters because there's a person behind it. You do you, we'll support you if you want to be supported. I'd like to keep in touch, because you're a cool dude. Go out and share your coolness with everybody else, we can pick up slack where it needs to be picked up. But, you know, if you want to write stuff here, nobody's going to stop you.  ;) 8) :'( :P ;D
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #1312 on: November 11, 2015, 01:32:24 AM »
Sorry to see you go. Good luck with your projects.
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #1313 on: November 11, 2015, 01:35:07 AM »
Guessing the timing vis a vis your birthday isn't a coincidence?

chardy999

• Elite Member
« Reply #1314 on: November 11, 2015, 06:16:55 AM »
I think Junior said it best, do what you gotta do.

And don't feel the need to put a label on it, to say that you're going to do or not do any particular thing on the forum in the future. Just do what you want and what brings you gratitude and joy.
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.
- Groucho Marx

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
  • Oo-da-lolly, Oo-da-lolly, golly what a day!
    • Corndog Chats
« Reply #1315 on: November 11, 2015, 07:17:15 AM »
You're the best, Chuck.
"Time is the speed at which the past decays."

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #1316 on: November 11, 2015, 10:58:06 AM »
It is a sad thing, but probably a good thing. Frankly, 1SO, you've been carrying the bulk of the board this last year.  Since my time off, I've been cutting back on the boards, just because I need to bring more balance in my life, stop doing things because I feel pressure from others to do things.  Also because, since Nov 1, I've really focused on writing this novel for Nanorimo (which is a crazy thing, really).

I think the boards would be better if the things that are really popular get taken by a variety of people.  It's great that Bondo has taken over the Top 100 Club.  I'm really enthusiastic about a month of Musicals, so I'd be happy to take over May.  I wonder if Sandy would be interested in taking over the Western month?  Without Martin or 1SO pushing Noirvember, I wonder if that will end up going the way of the dinosaur.   

But in the end, it is better if we all have balance in our lives.  This board is a community, a place of sharing, and it shouldn't be a burden on anyone.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #1317 on: November 11, 2015, 11:37:52 AM »
Guessing the timing vis a vis your birthday isn't a coincidence?

The Birthday was the match that lit the fuse, but there are a number of dynamite sticks. I kept thinking it was my addiction to movies, but when I'm working on my writing there is always time for a movie or three: breakfast, dinner, late night. It's when I'm spending the rest of the day creating and maintaining projects. That's writing and time I should be focusing on my scripts. I always saw this as time with my friends and I think I will find a healthier way to balance it out. A way where time with my friends isn't taking my creative energy away from my writing. (The sad equation is movies inspire ideas while sharing ideas with friends removes creativity.)

There's also the money factor. Right now my wife and I make about enough to sustain us. Some months are better than others. I need to get us to a more financially secure place.

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • "The life we build, we never stop creating.”
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
« Reply #1318 on: November 11, 2015, 12:16:40 PM »
1SO, I'm in agreement with oldkid. You have carried a heavy load here, building community and as you said, content. Share the load. :) I'd love to host March's Marathons and wherever else I can be of use. I too am looking for balance, but find if I can even spend a little time here, I'm that much happier in my day. You are all my friends and this is a very special place for me. I hope you find what works best for you and that it brings you much peace and happiness. I'm so grateful for all that you've done here.  :)
« Last Edit: November 11, 2015, 04:35:06 PM by Sandy »

Jared

• Elite Member
« Reply #1319 on: November 11, 2015, 12:28:42 PM »
There's also the money factor. Right now my wife and I make about enough to sustain us. Some months are better than others. I need to get us to a more financially secure place.

Step 1: Watch a ton of horror films
Step 2: ?
Step 3: Big profit

This get rich quick scheme didn't work for me either.

Don't be a stranger  :)