love

Author Topic: Vacation  (Read 145266 times)

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
Re: Vacation
« Reply #1550 on: November 05, 2018, 08:22:33 AM »
Glad you got some quality time to just unwind. Sometimes the best vacations are the ones where you just chill and don't worry about missing out seeing as much as possible.

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #1551 on: November 05, 2018, 08:48:25 PM »
Glad you got some quality time to just unwind. Sometimes the best vacations are the ones where you just chill and don't worry about missing out seeing as much as possible.

That is for sure, just sit by the beach or poolside and read or listen to some audiobooks or podcasts is just wonderful. We did try to cram in a few too many of the activities that were part of the package, it would be nice to have more time so they could be spread out.

Next up is a trip to visit my parents over Thanksgiving as it has been 6 years since I was last home and at least 2 or 3 years now since I last saw my parents.
"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #1552 on: November 05, 2018, 09:53:32 PM »
What beautiful photos.  It's good to get away and do nothing sometimes.   When I was a teen, I thought adults who did that we're crazy.  Now I love it.  As long as I can take photos.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #1553 on: November 05, 2018, 10:33:59 PM »
I usually only took a couple of photos as I realize my wife takes a lot of photos and they are all better than mine. But the top 2 are mine and the last she took
"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

philip918

• Elite Member
« Reply #1554 on: December 01, 2018, 04:11:38 PM »
Going to Spain in mid-March. My wife found great tickets direct from LA to Madrid and we couldn't pass up the opportunity. Ten days and trying not to overdo it. We'll split the time between Madrid and Barcelona with day trips from both. Cuenca is high on our list for a potential day trip from Madrid. Montserrat from Barcelona and maybe a coastal town.

Happy for any suggestions from anyone who's been recently!

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #1555 on: December 01, 2018, 04:16:35 PM »
In Madrid, the Prado is essential. The football stadium is cool and you can get a tour, it's massive. There's a cool palace with a very cold church that is cool for half a day.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #1556 on: December 01, 2018, 06:09:51 PM »
Pfft, skip the Bernabeu. Camp Nou is where it's at. I've not been but I just dislike Real.

Next week I head off on a week-long Caribbean cruise. Puerto Rico, St. Thomas, St. Marteen and Nassau. Should be fun and more importantly should be above freezing and not snowing. If not, I'm definitely becoming a climate change skeptic.

philip918

• Elite Member
« Reply #1557 on: December 01, 2018, 09:35:28 PM »
The Prado is definitely our highest priority in Madrid. We aren't really football fans, so I'm not sure we'd be into stadium.

My wife just booked a night in Toledo, which looks lovely and quiet.

Enjoy your cruise, Bondo! And enjoy the rum.

Knocked Out Loaded

• Elite Member
  • I might remember it all differently tomorrow.
« Reply #1558 on: December 02, 2018, 04:03:21 AM »
Going to Spain in mid-March. My wife found great tickets direct from LA to Madrid and we couldn't pass up the opportunity. Ten days and trying not to overdo it. We'll split the time between Madrid and Barcelona with day trips from both. Cuenca is high on our list for a potential day trip from Madrid. Montserrat from Barcelona and maybe a coastal town.

Happy for any suggestions from anyone who's been recently!
The drive from Barcelona to Montserrat is just over an hour says Google Maps. If you continue to go north for one more hour you end up in Cardona, where the Collegiate Church of Sant Vicenç is situated. It is on the European Film Academy's list Treasures of European Film Culture. It looks a little dull from the picture on that page, but I wold go there nevertheless. In Barcelona itself Antoni Gaudí's buildings are a must.

The idea to visit the home stadium of either Real Madrid or FC Barcelona is not a bad one if you have the slightest interest in sports at all. They are after all the two biggest soccer clubs in the world after Manchester United. I never have visited Madrid.
Extraordinary (81-100˚) | Very good (61-80˚) | Good (41-60˚) | Fair (21-40˚) | Poor (0-20˚)

philip918

• Elite Member
« Reply #1559 on: December 04, 2018, 10:22:07 AM »
Cardona looks pretty cool. We went to a screening of Chimes at Midnight here a couple years ago, so that would be pretty fun to see.

Definitely planning to see all the Gaudí buildings in Barcelona.