love

Author Topic: Vacation  (Read 145363 times)

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
Re: Vacation
« Reply #360 on: July 28, 2011, 08:16:21 PM »
If the weather is nice you could take a stroll around the seawall and through Coal Harbour. Or maybe putter around Grandville Island. The Skytrain will get you to within a kilometer of each.

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #361 on: July 28, 2011, 08:17:43 PM »
We're going to overnight in Vancouver.  Who can point us to something fun to do there?  Or, if not fun, a "don't miss this" experience.  Also restaurants to recommend?

It has been too long since I have been there to remember restaurants visit.  Are you just there one night?

The best thing I did was rent a motor boat and went deep into the end of one of the bays.  We were surrounded by mountains with a bit of snow on top, it was about 20 C at the water and there was seals or sea lions swimming around our boat. 

Hope you enjoy it, its one of my favorite cities that I have visited.
"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

worm@work

• Godfather
« Reply #362 on: July 28, 2011, 08:31:04 PM »
Am sure matt and others have more current recommendations. Also, am not quite sure what kind of food you're into. But Vij's is arguably my favorite Indian restaurant in North America. It's fusion Indian food but always delicious and a really fun atmosphere.

Richmond (a suburb off Vancouver) has some of the best Chinese food I've had outside of China/HK/Taiwan. This place called Top Shanghai is probably my favorite. Best xiao long bao (soup dumplings) I've had outside of Asia.

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #363 on: July 28, 2011, 08:36:16 PM »
Of all the places I miss most in Vancouver for eating De Dutch is number one (a franchise breakfast place that only seems to exist in BC). Good Benedicts, good prices. :)

saltine

• Administrator
  • Godfather
« Reply #364 on: July 28, 2011, 08:52:47 PM »
Wow, thanks everyone!

We could extend from one night to two.  I'm really interested in seeing a bit of Vancouver since people from this board seem to love the city.

Coal Harbor sounds great.  I love harbor cities. 

We eat Indian, for sure, and find fusion Indian to satisfy my palate a bit more than the more authentic which my husband prefers.  Well, he loves the curries.  What can I say?  He's Australian. So, Vij's it is. Thanks w@w
(I'll tell you my story of eating soup dumplings in Hong Kong someday.  Maybe, I'll skip that for now.)

Love those one-of-a-kinds, so we'll check out De Dutch.  I can sense the longing in your post, smirnoff.

Thanks for the activity suggestion, jdc.  It sounds like a back-to-nature adventure, and it seems like you loved this city.  I hope I share your enthusiasm for it soon!
Texan Down Under

mañana

• Objectively Awesome
  • Check your public library
« Reply #365 on: July 28, 2011, 08:58:21 PM »
I sent Basil this PM when he was planning a Vancouver trip:

Hey Basil,

I guess it all depends what kinds of things you and your crew are into. I guess the most obvious thing is Stanley Park. I don't know if you guys are into the nature thing, but it really is quite beautiful. And big!

The most fun way to do see the park and downtown is to rent some bikes and ride the seawall - which starts in Coal Harbour, goes all the way around the park, loops around False Creek and comes up at Kits Beach. This map isn't great but it gives you an idea of how extensive the pedestrian/cycling routes are along the water. Bikes aren't necessary but it would help you cover a lot of ground.

As far as downtown goes, the neighbourhoods worth checking out would be the West End (lots of shops and places to eat on Davie, Denman, and Robson), Yaletown (really trendy, not a lot to do there but it's kind of a nice area to pass through), Gastown (heritage buildings, lots of places to eat and drink, like Pioneer Square in Seattle), and Chinatown (getting close to some rugged parts of town but still worth a look). Also, if you're looking for pubs or clubs, at night Granville Street between Robson and Nelson is a good spot.

By the way, it's probably best to avoid Hastings east of Cambie Street after dark. Come to think of it, there's no point in going down East Hastings during the day either. Other than that small area, downtown Vancouver is really safe. 

Aside from downtown, Granville Island, a public market, is a good spot to grab a bite and hang out. It's touristy, but I nice spot nonetheless.  And from Granville Island you can catch a water taxi across False Creek to Yaletown or the West End. The water taxi thing sounds dorky but it's actually a fun way to see things.

Also outside of downtown is Kitsilano (where I live!). The hot spots in Kits are Kits Beach (fun when it's warm but always worth a look), and the shops and restaurants along 4th Ave and West Broadway.

Another cool area is Commercial Drive, it's an easy SkyTrain ride from downtown, but it's still kind of out of the way.

Let me know if you have any questions and have fun. I hope it doesn't rain on you guys!

Cheers,
Matt
« Last Edit: July 28, 2011, 09:06:50 PM by matt tmw »
There's no deceit in the cauliflower.

worm@work

• Godfather
« Reply #366 on: July 28, 2011, 09:04:30 PM »
matt's post covers everything I do when I get to Vancouver.
Re: Vij's. It can get pretty crowded for dinner esp since they don't take reservations (at least they didn't the last time I checked). It's still worth going and waiting in the bar usually. They serve free bar snacks that are really amazing and I never mind waiting for a table.

However, if that's not your thing, you can always just got to their sister restaurant, Rangoli, that's right next door and a bit more casual than Vij's. That one has great food as well and it's much easier getting a table there.

I need to hear that soup dumpings story sometime :).

Have a great trip, saltine :). Am slightly envious of you spending all this time in the Pacific Northwest. I miss Seattle so much :-\.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2011, 09:06:51 PM by worm@work »

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #367 on: July 28, 2011, 09:09:40 PM »
I sent Basil this PM when he was planning a Vancouver trip:

By the way, it's probably best to avoid Hastings east of Cambie Street after dark. Come to think of it, there's no point in going down East Hastings during the day either. Other than that small area, downtown Vancouver is really safe. 

My first trip there I stayed at the Cambie Hostel.  Between there and China town was quite rough.  It was not uncommon to see some junkies on the streets and occasionally be approached.  We made sure to stay away from that area the second trip.
"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #368 on: July 28, 2011, 09:11:22 PM »
Oh, on the off chance you guys are into motorcycles you should check out Trev Deeley's motorcycle museum. It must be one of the best collections of motorcycles in the world. Me and my dad would go there once a year to drool.  ;) It was always free too (it may not be anymore since they moved into the city, also I hear they display less bikes than they used too because of the smaller building, but still). I always considered it one of Vancouver's best kept secrets.  :-X

saltine

• Administrator
  • Godfather
« Reply #369 on: July 28, 2011, 09:15:35 PM »
Thanks w@w, but now I have my heart set on Vij's!  I looked at their site and the food is marvelous to imagine!

Matt, I didn't expect all the great photos when I clicked on the links! Thank you!  Now Vancouver seems even better than I had imagined.  Hmmm...maybe 3 nights...

We will have a car so getting around may not be an issue.  I hope we can see all that's been recommended. Every city has its "rough" areas, even homey Perth.  We know that when we see it and aren't put off by that. 

John has been trying to talk me into one of those "tryke" motorcycles.  He's got a lot more talking to do!

I can see that Vancouver is my kind of city: the harbor, the beach, and that beauty that is possible when the city meets the coast.

After we leave Seattle, we have a week in Oregon.  We'll be asking for suggestions for the western part of Oregon soon!  Williamette and Columbia Valleys are a given, but what about the shore?  Looks intriguing...
Texan Down Under