love

Author Topic: Vacation  (Read 145270 times)

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • If I keep digging maybe I will get out of this hol
Re: Vacation
« Reply #560 on: August 10, 2012, 05:29:36 AM »
Do you have to take all the linen and stuff where you are staying? Interesting choice of bag. Must admit one of the types of bag we use when travelling is vacuum pack bags, so we can pack more stuff (no room to store a trailer at our place). The sight of a sunny day makes me jealous (it is winter here of course).
« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 05:33:18 AM by Dave the Necrobumper »

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #561 on: August 10, 2012, 07:59:29 AM »
Have a safe/fun trip. :)

SeanGather

« Reply #562 on: August 10, 2012, 08:48:05 AM »
Prague is lovely - watch out for pick pickpockets in Wencelas Square but check out Prague Castle obviously, the Jewish Cemetery, Charles Bridge is beautiful,  the Astronomical Clock in the square (kind of a let down - but watch the crowd one time instead of the clock when it does it's thing - it's more fun) and for a fun night out - the Karlovy Lazne Club by the bridge.

I had such a wonderful time! No problems with pickpockets thankfully. It's instantly one of my very favourite places in the whole world, and we're already planning on going back. I miss it, hah.

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • "The life we build, we never stop creating.”
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
« Reply #563 on: August 20, 2012, 12:26:23 AM »
Do you have to take all the linen and stuff where you are staying? Interesting choice of bag. Must admit one of the types of bag we use when traveling is vacuum pack bags, so we can pack more stuff (no room to store a trailer at our place). The sight of a sunny day makes me jealous (it is winter here of course).

I'm sorry I didn't see this before I left. The bags were donations to oldkid's homeless congregation (clothes, shoes, blankets etc.) The trailer was full, but we somehow smashed it all into the minivan. It must have had clown car capabilities that day. :) How severe are your winters? It didn't rain once in Portland or on the coast while I was there--pretty amazing.

Have a safe/fun trip. :)

Thanks! It was luckily both of those things. :)

Here's some pictures I took:

We had a great time meeting oldkid's family and working in his gardens and watching movies. :)

Had to make a stop here for Davis' benefit, especially since it was on the corner of:

After taking Davis to the airport, I headed to the coast and saw these cool doors en route. Each one weighs 500 lbs.

Not intentional, but fit the criteria of location, availability and affordability. How's that for on the nose?

I was telling AAAutin about the wave that took my awesome sandcastle before I could get a picture, but it looked a lot like this:

The best part of the day(s):

the end

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • If I keep digging maybe I will get out of this hol
« Reply #564 on: August 20, 2012, 07:03:49 AM »
Do you have to take all the linen and stuff where you are staying? Interesting choice of bag. Must admit one of the types of bag we use when traveling is vacuum pack bags, so we can pack more stuff (no room to store a trailer at our place). The sight of a sunny day makes me jealous (it is winter here of course).

I'm sorry I didn't see this before I left. The bags were donations to oldkid's homeless congregation (clothes, shoes, blankets etc.) The trailer was full, but we somehow smashed it all into the minivan. It must have had clown car capabilities that day. :) How severe are your winters? It didn't rain once in Portland or on the coast while I was there--pretty amazing.

That is a lot of donations.

Winter is fairly mild here overnight it might get close to 0C (32F), but usually overnight it would be 6-7C (42ishF), and during the day a couple of times it may only reach 8C (45F), but usually it would be more like 14C (54F). So winter is like Portland or Seattle, but no snow.

I think I have those conversions correct.

Some lovely photos. Looking forward to my trip to LA and San Francisco, leaving in less than 3 weeks. Just not looking forward to a 14 hour flight with an 18 month old.

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #565 on: August 20, 2012, 08:14:41 AM »

Some lovely photos. Looking forward to my trip to LA and San Francisco, leaving in less than 3 weeks. Just not looking forward to a 14 hour flight with an 18 month old.

San Francisco is worth the flight.. have you made any specific plans on what you will do?

I only lived there a few years but it is where I like to tell everybody where I am from when the conversations come up.  My next vacation plan is to go back to SF in November for a week or so and then to my parents in North Carolina for Thankgiving (first time back back to NC in 11 years).
"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #566 on: August 20, 2012, 09:27:24 AM »
What a great/productive vacation! Nothing fuels a road trip like donuts.

oneaprilday

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • "What we see and what we seem are but a dream."
    • A Journal of Film
« Reply #567 on: August 20, 2012, 01:00:45 PM »
Looks like a wonderful trip, Sandy!

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • "The life we build, we never stop creating.”
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
« Reply #568 on: August 20, 2012, 01:30:32 PM »

With no Cinnabon stores in sight, a Cocoa Puffs Voodoo donut was the next best thing. :)

Looks like a wonderful trip, Sandy!

It really was, thanks!

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #569 on: August 20, 2012, 02:24:34 PM »

With no Cinnabon stores in sight, a Cocoa Puffs Voodoo donut was the next best thing. :)

They're too healthy out there. Tsk tsk.

love