Author Topic: Vacation  (Read 145254 times)

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • "The life we build, we never stop creating.”
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
Re: Vacation
« Reply #750 on: August 18, 2013, 02:14:56 PM »
If you don't see things like this in the Pac Northwest, you're missing out:

http://awholebunchofpictures.blogspot.com/

You have a good eye oldkid. I like the way you see the world. :)

In case I forget to tell you later Sam, have a great trip!

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #751 on: August 18, 2013, 04:40:15 PM »
I'll be constrained to public transportation, but I'll try to take in some nature. Will probably check out the beaches.

oneaprilday

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • "What we see and what we seem are but a dream."
    • A Journal of Film
« Reply #752 on: August 20, 2013, 12:39:58 AM »
Gonna be in Seattle from the 29th to the 2nd. Mainly going for PAX (A video game expo). Gonna meet a bunch of online friends there. Should be fun. Also, been wanting to see the west coast for years now.
Hooray! :)

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #753 on: October 28, 2013, 09:56:29 PM »
Hi Saltine...

Closer to making actual plans.  Originally though would take some time in Sydney as I know some people there but we are going to be delayed a bit and they will not be around now.  So now I am debating if it is worth it to go to Sydney or would it be better to start from Brisbane and go North instead?  Any expert advise?  Timing should be from 6 Dec to 14 or 15 Dec.

"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • If I keep digging maybe I will get out of this hol
« Reply #754 on: October 29, 2013, 03:32:47 AM »
Well north of Brisbane the cyclone season starts about xmas day, so you should miss that. I love Cape Tribulation, however that is a long way north. Cairns is good place to stay while booking trips elsewhere (Cairns itself is not much). Airlie Beach is much closer to Brisbane and is the jumping off point for the Whitsunday Islands.

In the end it is a matter of what sort of sights you want to see, natural, urban, other?

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #755 on: October 29, 2013, 03:58:37 AM »
Well north of Brisbane the cyclone season starts about xmas day, so you should miss that. I love Cape Tribulation, however that is a long way north. Cairns is good place to stay while booking trips elsewhere (Cairns itself is not much). Airlie Beach is much closer to Brisbane and is the jumping off point for the Whitsunday Islands.

In the end it is a matter of what sort of sights you want to see, natural, urban, other?

Whatsunday Islands looks nice. Since I already live in a big city and just about always travel to other big cities, we rather see a lot more natural sites.  I don't care to pack a vacation, having a few days can hike and look about as well as time just at the beach and enjoy nice local foods and drinks.  If there are wineries around Brisbane is also good otherwise, plenty of good wines in the store to try:)
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • If I keep digging maybe I will get out of this hol
« Reply #756 on: October 29, 2013, 04:34:20 AM »
Oh I forgot to mention Fraser Island. Not sure about wineries around Brisbane, never heard of any. North of Brisbane is Bundaberg, home of Bundaberg Rum. There are lots of national parks west, north and south of Brisbane. I would recommend rent a car and drive around, but if you are going want to drive on Fraser Island a 4wd is recommended. You could catch a flight to Cairns and then journey from there in a rental. You are going to want a rental car because distances are great and it is the easiest quick way to get around. If it is the Whitsunday's you wish to see then it would be a flight to Townsville and a several hour drive south to Airlie Beach (there are most likely other options).

Just remember these places can be a long way apart, it is about 1800km from Cairns to Brisbane (about the same as Singapore to Bangkok)

saltine

• Administrator
  • Godfather
« Reply #757 on: October 29, 2013, 11:19:08 AM »
dave's the real expert, but I'll share some tips with you from my travel around Australia:

It's rainy season in the tropics.  Not that nice gentle rain you have everyday in Singapore either.  It can bucket down, ruining everything you planned to do.

I'd opt for Brisbane and Sydney, plus Hunter Valley while in Sydney.  I know you love red wines and the Hunter is huge for nice reds.  Also since it's away from the city, you can easily rent a car in Sydney and drive there, seeing lots of countryside while on the drive.  Also staying in Hunter Valley overnight is a nice option.  Several of the wineries have accommodation which are a real treat.  Some offer dining as well and there are many other options for dining in the Hunter.  The Hunter Valley is fairly remote from any large city.

And, although you've seen large cities, you've never seen one like Sydney, especially the harbour and the quay.  A very nice getaway from Sydney is a harbour cruise to Manly for the day.  Once you're off the boat you can walk the entire Manly area, dine on the beach, enjoy the warm day, then travel back through the harbour at sundown and see the sunset over the city.  It's remarkable day.

There are several national parks around Sydney where hiking is excellent.  Plus, there is the Bondi to Bronte beach walk and other city/seaside walks as well. 

The key to having a good time in Sydney is to stay near the Quay.

Seeing the Gold Coast while in Brisbane is a definite option for more beach time.  It's lovely at Main Beach and Surfer's which are at the north end of the Gold Coast, making those beaches closer to Brisbane.  In Brisbane there is plenty to do for a couple of days of sightseeing. 

John and I want to share a meal with you two, and we'll also be available for transportation in and around Brisbane.  And, of course, you're welcome in Redcliffe where we live.  It's very nice there on warm weekends. We have a cafe strip, an open market, swimming, and Sunday session at Mon Komo, the hotel on the cafe strip.

Actually, you can't oversell Australia.  It's a wonderful as the photos suggest and as everyone says it is.  It really is paradise.  Once you've seen Brisbane and Sydney (and I know you've already seen Perth), you will want to come back for Melbourne and Adelaide, two more fabulous Australia cities.
Texan Down Under

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #758 on: October 29, 2013, 09:39:56 PM »
dave's the real expert, but I'll share some tips with you from my travel around Australia:

It's rainy season in the tropics.  Not that nice gentle rain you have everyday in Singapore either.  It can bucket down, ruining everything you planned to do.

I'd opt for Brisbane and Sydney, plus Hunter Valley while in Sydney.  I know you love red wines and the Hunter is huge for nice reds.  Also since it's away from the city, you can easily rent a car in Sydney and drive there, seeing lots of countryside while on the drive.  Also staying in Hunter Valley overnight is a nice option.  Several of the wineries have accommodation which are a real treat.  Some offer dining as well and there are many other options for dining in the Hunter.  The Hunter Valley is fairly remote from any large city.

And, although you've seen large cities, you've never seen one like Sydney, especially the harbour and the quay.  A very nice getaway from Sydney is a harbour cruise to Manly for the day.  Once you're off the boat you can walk the entire Manly area, dine on the beach, enjoy the warm day, then travel back through the harbour at sundown and see the sunset over the city.  It's remarkable day.

There are several national parks around Sydney where hiking is excellent.  Plus, there is the Bondi to Bronte beach walk and other city/seaside walks as well. 

The key to having a good time in Sydney is to stay near the Quay.

Seeing the Gold Coast while in Brisbane is a definite option for more beach time.  It's lovely at Main Beach and Surfer's which are at the north end of the Gold Coast, making those beaches closer to Brisbane.  In Brisbane there is plenty to do for a couple of days of sightseeing. 

John and I want to share a meal with you two, and we'll also be available for transportation in and around Brisbane.  And, of course, you're welcome in Redcliffe where we live.  It's very nice there on warm weekends. We have a cafe strip, an open market, swimming, and Sunday session at Mon Komo, the hotel on the cafe strip.

Actually, you can't oversell Australia.  It's a wonderful as the photos suggest and as everyone says it is.  It really is paradise.  Once you've seen Brisbane and Sydney (and I know you've already seen Perth), you will want to come back for Melbourne and Adelaide, two more fabulous Australia cities.

OK, I will put Sydney back into the plan, its probably where we have to fly into anyway if I want a discounted ticket.  She will be back this weekend and will try to have the final schedule this Sunday.  For sure we will lock in a time for dinner.

I have been to Melbourne probably at least 6 times for work back in the 2005-2006 period.  Quite liked the city but really was overwhelmed with work at that time and never explored outside of the town area that I could walk to.

Singapore tends to get those hard tropical rains.  They don't always last too long but can come down very hard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQvJuzF2200

saltine

• Administrator
  • Godfather
« Reply #759 on: October 30, 2013, 08:48:33 AM »
John said look at booking an internal flight for the Brisbane/Sydney portion of the trip instead of a multi-city route from Singapore.  Right now those internal fares are $79 one way.

Texan Down Under