love

Author Topic: Vacation  (Read 145227 times)

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
Re: Vacation
« Reply #880 on: May 22, 2014, 08:15:03 PM »
My two weeks in Japan are over. That place is amazing.

Where all did you visit?

Do you mean attractions or which parts of Japan?

which parts?  Did you stay in the Ryokan?  Go for Hotsprings?

I thought about staying in a Ryokan. Just for a night. As novel as it would've been I don't think I would've enjoyed it much. Especially if all they had was a Japanese style toilet.

I wanted to try a hot spring. I'm not sure I would've had the nerve to go through with it though. Given most of them are enjoyed naked. Plus apparently a lot of them don't accept people with tattoos and I have a small one on my arm.

Going to the Hot Spring was probably my biggest moment of culture shock as was invited to go by a local girl.  I first thought thought it meant we would either have a private room to share.  Instead it was a large, indoor hall with some restaurants, places to drink, have massage, etc and everybody is walking around in Yukata (you pay using a bar coded wristband).  When it comes time for the hotspring, she tells me to go to the men's side and she goes to the women's side.  I wasn't really expecting to be walking around and sharing the hot pools with 50 other naked Japanese guys when I got invited to go to the hot spring. 

the few Ryokan I stayed in had normal sitting toilets though it was a single, shared bathroom with a deep tub that was shared among all the guests so you had to reserve the time when you were going to use the bathroom/tub the following day.

"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

The Deer Hunter

• Elite Member
  • My name is Jeff
« Reply #881 on: May 22, 2014, 08:25:52 PM »
My two weeks in Japan are over. That place is amazing.

Where all did you visit?

Do you mean attractions or which parts of Japan?

which parts?  Did you stay in the Ryokan?  Go for Hotsprings?

I thought about staying in a Ryokan. Just for a night. As novel as it would've been I don't think I would've enjoyed it much. Especially if all they had was a Japanese style toilet.

I wanted to try a hot spring. I'm not sure I would've had the nerve to go through with it though. Given most of them are enjoyed naked. Plus apparently a lot of them don't accept people with tattoos and I have a small one on my arm.

Going to the Hot Spring was probably my biggest moment of culture shock as was invited to go by a local girl.  I first thought thought it meant we would either have a private room to share.  Instead it was a large, indoor hall with some restaurants, places to drink, have massage, etc and everybody is walking around in Yukata (you pay using a bar coded wristband).  When it comes time for the hotspring, she tells me to go to the men's side and she goes to the women's side.  I wasn't really expecting to be walking around and sharing the hot pools with 50 other naked Japanese guys when I got invited to go to the hot spring. 

the few Ryokan I stayed in had normal sitting toilets though it was a single, shared bathroom with a deep tub that was shared among all the guests so you had to reserve the time when you were going to use the bathroom/tub the following day.

I did a lot of research before we went so I knew there wouldn't be privacy. I didn't think there would be bars and restauraunt there but after visiting the country that doesn't surprise me. There are restauraunts anywhere and everywhere.

I'm glad I didn't visit one after reading that. Booking a bathroom in advance? That doesn't seem very practical.

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #882 on: May 22, 2014, 09:38:05 PM »
Booking the bathroom is for the morning when you need to use the tub/shower, not any time you have to go.  Not a vacation, but probably stopping through Tokyo for a short trip in July to visit our office there.  Trying to get the Japan team to be more aligned to our processes
"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

oneaprilday

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • "What we see and what we seem are but a dream."
    • A Journal of Film
« Reply #883 on: May 23, 2014, 01:23:14 AM »
Doing a whirlwind of Spain this summer, any suggestions? (Hi Worm!)

Itinerary:

7/7 - JFK > Zurich (3h 10m layover, possible to clear customs, pop into the city via train & make it back?)
7/8 - ZHR > Palma Mallorca (Saldly only 1h 5m layover)
 - PMI > Malaga (get in at 4:30)
7/9 - Malaga to Grenada (Alhambra)
7/10 - Grenada to Pamplona (Running w/ Bulls!)
7/12 - Pamplona to Bilbao (Guggenheim)
7/13 - Bilbao to Madrid
7/16 - Madrid to Valencia
7/17 - Valencia to Barcelona
7/19 - Barcelona to Ibiza
7/21 - Ibiza back to Barcelona
7/23 - BCN > London (Gatwick) - 7h 10m layover and out of Heathrow, assuming i'll have at least a couple hours to pop into a pub.

Spain!! Enjoy, Keith!! Looks like a fantastic itinerary!

I've been only to Barcelona, and a few places outside Barcelona (Montserrat is incredible), but I second saltine's rec of Gaudi - La Sagrada Familia, Casa Mila, and Park Güell are the places I'm familiar with. Really wonderful. 

The Deer Hunter

• Elite Member
  • My name is Jeff
« Reply #884 on: May 23, 2014, 04:40:18 AM »
Booking the bathroom is for the morning when you need to use the tub/shower, not any time you have to go.  Not a vacation, but probably stopping through Tokyo for a short trip in July to visit our office there.  Trying to get the Japan team to be more aligned to our processes

Ah that makes more sense. I found the japanese to be the most efficient, nicest people I've ever met.

¡Keith!

• Objectively Awesome
  • Bitch, I been around since LimeWire.
« Reply #885 on: May 23, 2014, 09:33:35 AM »
Of course, Gaudi in Barcelona and Museo Guggenheim Bilbao, but those are unmissable.

Check back.  I know of a restaurant in Valencia that is extraordinary...trying to get the name now.

Spain!! Enjoy, Keith!! Looks like a fantastic itinerary!

I've been only to Barcelona, and a few places outside Barcelona (Montserrat is incredible), but I second saltine's rec of Gaudi - La Sagrada Familia, Casa Mila, and Park Güell are the places I'm familiar with. Really wonderful. 

Thanks, definitely doing the Gaudi. Montserrat looks amazing and actually pretty accessible via transit so I'm definitely looking into that!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montserrat_(mountain)

saltine

• Administrator
  • Godfather
« Reply #886 on: May 23, 2014, 12:07:37 PM »
¡Keith!, I noticed that you are not in Valencia for very long, but this is the restaurant I was referencing.  It was recommended by world travelers who are discriminating diners, so I thought it was worth a mention.

http://www.heatheronhertravels.com/an-evening-out-with-angel-at-la-utielana-in-valencia/

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/spain/valencia-and-murcia/valencia/restaurants/spanish/la-utielana
Texan Down Under

oneaprilday

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • "What we see and what we seem are but a dream."
    • A Journal of Film
« Reply #887 on: May 23, 2014, 02:40:30 PM »
Montserrat looks amazing and actually pretty accessible via transit so I'm definitely looking into that!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montserrat_(mountain)
Yes, it's fantastic! We took the cable car thing up the side of the mountain, and the views are just gorgeous - then at the top, too, just stunning.

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #888 on: May 27, 2014, 12:06:40 PM »
In Madrid, check out the Prado, especially for Goya's Black Paintings. The stadium tour for the Real Madrid stadium is pretty awesome, as is the Royal Palace/church combo, if you're into the medieval thing. And the big park thing they have in the middle of the city is really pretty.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2014, 12:09:35 PM by Junior »
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

¡Keith!

• Objectively Awesome
  • Bitch, I been around since LimeWire.
« Reply #889 on: May 27, 2014, 12:32:36 PM »
thanks. hopefully Spain makes it far in the WC. We'll be there during the Semis and in Madrid for the Final. Having seen the outdoor viewing parties and celebrations from 4 years ago, I'm suddenly pulling for La Roja just to have the experience.

love