Author Topic: Vacation  (Read 145228 times)

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
Re: Vacation
« Reply #1030 on: November 25, 2014, 06:20:29 PM »
Plus the fun thing about people from San Diego, when they move to Colorado for grad school, sometimes they haven't seen snow, they freak out with joy when it comes, and they don't know the difference between mittens and gloves. I would give everything to not know the difference between mittens and gloves. #midwesternproblems

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #1031 on: November 25, 2014, 06:23:17 PM »
FLY recently went to San Diego. Need to post those pictures and stuff. Think iKeith! is the only one who has seen them.

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #1032 on: November 26, 2014, 12:24:39 AM »
Thanks ¡Keith!

Wow, San Diego! Tell me more! I've been to the zoo and to Dog Beach and to an excellent Mexican restaurant there. What all did I miss? :D

Here are my top five:

1. New York
2. New York
3. New York
4. New York
5. New York

and then it would go something like:

6. Wherever I haven't been yet
7. San Fransisco
8. Los Angeles - because, Randy Newman don't bother me none.
9. Washington D.C.
10. I don't know, either New Orleans, Portland, Boston, Chicago...

I wish I knew NY better, only very briefly been in that city a couple of times.

Excluding where I live and not sure how to really rank but at least I wouldn't mind living in any of the places below (though Tokyo would be overruled, rejected and disqualified for me).

5. Beijing (other than pollution)
4. Hong Kong
3 Tokyo
2. Vancouver
1. San Francisco

HM: Chicago/Shanghai/Bangkok
"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
  • Oo-da-lolly, Oo-da-lolly, golly what a day!
    • Corndog Chats
« Reply #1033 on: November 26, 2014, 08:04:25 AM »
FLY recently went to San Diego. Need to post those pictures and stuff. Think iKeith! is the only one who has seen them.

I follow creamy.
"Time is the speed at which the past decays."

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • "The life we build, we never stop creating.”
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
« Reply #1034 on: November 26, 2014, 09:11:44 AM »
I wish I knew NY better, only very briefly been in that city a couple of times.

Excluding where I live and not sure how to really rank but at least I wouldn't mind living in any of the places below (though Tokyo would be overruled, rejected and disqualified for me).

5. Beijing (other than pollution)
4. Hong Kong
3 Tokyo
2. Vancouver
1. San Francisco

HM: Chicago/Shanghai/Bangkok

I've not been to Vancouver yet, but would love to get there someday. I'm super happy that San Francisco is your number one! That place is magical to me, because of childhood trips there. Does your wife not like Tokyo? Of those three Asian cities, that's the one I'd pick to live in, but they'd all be an adventure!

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #1035 on: November 26, 2014, 05:19:53 PM »
Its a China/Japan thing...
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

Tequila

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #1036 on: November 26, 2014, 06:36:31 PM »
Stockholm needs to be on this list.
'What am I doing? I'm quietly judging you'
http://letterboxd.com/Tagave/

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #1037 on: November 26, 2014, 07:10:39 PM »
I'm not very versed on Europe myself.  I spent 1 day in Milan back in the 90's and been in and out of Frankfurt, Germany a few times as well as a few trips to England to visit relatives when I was young.  Having not taking any real vacations in 2014 (I took a total of 1 vacation day the entire year), I am going to try to spend a few weeks in Europe next year.

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #1038 on: November 26, 2014, 07:35:12 PM »

I follow creamy.

That's right, super dank. Merchandise coming soon!

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #1039 on: December 02, 2014, 05:16:51 PM »
Photos from Maui here and here.

On the trip were:

my fiancée Carrie
Carrie's parents Bill and Marge (who paid for the vacation house)
Carrie's brother Brian and his wife Margaret
Brian's kids Nicholas and Frieda
Margaret's mother Sue

We:

* swam at Wailea Beach -- sadly we didn't take pictures there, but it's a perfect beach

* drove the windy, gorgeous "Road to Hana" -- again, we only took pictures at this one "Halfway to Hana" refreshment stand... also, we didn't go all the way to Hana, we turned back about 3/4 of the way there.  It's my one big regret of the trip, I would loved to see those pools but the weather was rainy and I'd had enough of that crazy driving

* spent a lot of time in the pool

* the whole family cooked a Thanksgiving dinner with turkey breast, field roast, roasted veggies, wild rice stuffing, mashed potatoes, mushroom gravy (my contribution), rolls, and pie

* drove up to the 10,000 foot summit of Haleakala to watch the sun rise over the clouds (freezing cold, but worth it)

* ate some yummy local fare

* took a sunset cruise at Lahaina Harbor

It was a great trip.  Didn't think about work, didn't stress about all the movies I have to watch, didn't have to worry about the pets because we had a great housesitter.  Just relaxation and beauty.  The weather was a little on the rainy/cloudy side but it was way better than being in Portland.

love