Author Topic: Vacation  (Read 145265 times)

¡Keith!

• Objectively Awesome
  • Bitch, I been around since LimeWire.
Re: Vacation
« Reply #1260 on: June 23, 2016, 04:39:56 PM »
Just booked my flight for the Telluride Film Festival (4th time!) - unlike the last 3 though I've decided to stay a couple extra days and actually visit some of the amazing scenery instead of sitting in theaters for the whole weekend and flying home!

Thinking Mesa Verde, Four Corners, Canyonlands and Arches but if anyone has other suggestions for that area (SW CO, NE NM, SE UT) lemme know!

Bonus: Will knock two states off my to visit list (down to 7 after - back to 8 if we add Puerto Rico in the next several months.)

saltine

• Administrator
  • Godfather
« Reply #1261 on: June 23, 2016, 05:38:19 PM »
Just booked my flight for the Telluride Film Festival (4th time!) - unlike the last 3 though I've decided to stay a couple extra days and actually visit some of the amazing scenery instead of sitting in theaters for the whole weekend and flying home!

Thinking Mesa Verde, Four Corners, Canyonlands and Arches but if anyone has other suggestions for that area (SW CO, NE NM, SE UT) lemme know!

Bonus: Will knock two states off my to visit list (down to 7 after - back to 8 if we add Puerto Rico in the next several months.)

I will strongly recommend Canyon de Chelly if you're committing to Four Corners as it's not so far from there.  It's very isolated and to see it properly you have to arrive before sunset for the rim viewing and then stay overnight for the Navajo-guided trip into the floor of the canyon.  This starts early in the morning and finishes well before lunch so it's possible to do the guided trip then squeeze in another location in the afternoon.  I've only stayed at the Best Western in Chinle and it's basic but fine.  The restaurant in the parking lot of the motel is great for dinner and breakfast (navajo fry bread) and the hired guide is happy to meet you there and take you into the canyon.  If you don't include this trip now, do it sometime in your life.  It's truly unforgettable. 
Texan Down Under

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • "The life we build, we never stop creating.”
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
« Reply #1262 on: June 23, 2016, 07:01:04 PM »
Oooh! What a fun itinerary. Here's a few more you could add. If you go to Four Corners and Canyon de Chelly, it would be worth seeing Monument Valley while you're so close. Goosenecks is then on your way north and Dead Horse Point is near Canyonlands. Outside of Arches is Moab and there's great rafting there.

Can't wait to hear all about it, ¡Keith!

¡Keith!

• Objectively Awesome
  • Bitch, I been around since LimeWire.
« Reply #1263 on: June 23, 2016, 11:26:57 PM »
haha, thanks for the trip planning pinch-in sandy!!

saltine, oof, only have two days, maybe hard pressed to fit in but sounds fantastic. time to put those shoe-horn scheduling skills to use that allowed be to spend every morning after freshman year sleeping in!

saltine

• Administrator
  • Godfather
« Reply #1264 on: June 24, 2016, 08:56:54 AM »
No matter what you decide, you'll love the Southwest.  Every square mile is gorgeous!  Have a great time in Telluride and beyond!
Texan Down Under

dassix

« Reply #1265 on: July 07, 2016, 10:18:19 PM »
Going to Vegas for work (kind of) Sept. 5-10.  I'm hoping to make it to the grand canyon one of my free days, otherwise I don't see myself ever planning a trip to go out there just for that.  I've looked into some things to do while there, but I'd be gracious if anybody that lived there or visited recently could recommend anything.

oneaprilday

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • "What we see and what we seem are but a dream."
    • A Journal of Film
« Reply #1266 on: July 08, 2016, 01:04:09 AM »
Going to Vegas for work (kind of) Sept. 5-10.  I'm hoping to make it to the grand canyon one of my free days, otherwise I don't see myself ever planning a trip to go out there just for that.  I've looked into some things to do while there, but I'd be gracious if anybody that lived there or visited recently could recommend anything.
Wish I could help out, but I've only made a roadtrip through Vegas and the area, never stayed. My parents just visited the Grand Canyon for the first time in their lives last month, and they made want to go - they said you have to see it to believe it, that it's more incredible than you can imagine. 

Keep us posted on your plans! And we always love vacation pics. :) 

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
  • Oo-da-lolly, Oo-da-lolly, golly what a day!
    • Corndog Chats
« Reply #1267 on: July 08, 2016, 09:25:48 AM »
The Grand Canyon is definitely breathtaking and worth the trip!
"Time is the speed at which the past decays."

saltine

• Administrator
  • Godfather
« Reply #1268 on: July 08, 2016, 09:52:06 AM »

Where are you staying?  What hotel?  I have some tips, but I'll answer re: where you are staying.  Also do you have a car or are you using public transportation?
Texan Down Under

dassix

« Reply #1269 on: July 08, 2016, 06:57:27 PM »
Work put me up in the Aria - I haven't looked on a map yet, but I'm told it's close to "the strip".  We (wife and I) will be renting a vehicle once we land.  We will land Monday around 11am, and I will be working mainly on Wednesday and Thursday from 7-3.  Which leaves some days open since we don't fly out until Saturday.

The only two definite plans are visiting the Hoover Dam and Grand Canyon.  Maybe walking into the Belagio and asking for the location of the nickel slot machines.  ;D