Author Topic: Vacation  (Read 145246 times)

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
Re: Vacation
« Reply #1290 on: September 24, 2016, 02:53:30 AM »

I've never been excited about Cambodia but my sister in law worked there for a year as a doctor and she grew to love everything but the oppressive heat and wet.  In particular there was a fruit she really loved, can't name it though.

Nice photos.

Hot and wet it is.  I can't think of a particular fruit that was unique there but the food was nice.  It is similar to Thai though toned down a bit. Not quite as spicy or bursting with flavors.  Almost everything we ate was full of veggies even if it was a meat dish

Almost every place quoted in USD as the main currency though all excepted either local or USD and gave a flat exchange of 4000 Riel to 1 USD which was close to what I could get at a bank exchange.  It was interesting to pay in local Riel but they would give me USD in change for everything above $1 as they didn't deal in USD coins.  For under $1, you got local change.  Sometimes I would pay in a combination in currencies, if my lunch was $4.50, I just give $4usd and 2000 Riel

"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

saltine

• Administrator
  • Godfather
« Reply #1291 on: September 24, 2016, 03:02:09 AM »
Reason I asked:

If, or when, you get to the Swiss side, Montreux / Lake Geneva, be sure to go to Vevey (short train ride from Montreux) to the new Charlie Chaplin exhibit called Charley's World.  It's at his mansion and it's great.  Also, if you can get to Gruyere from there (easy 40 min car ride, flatland), the HR Giger Museum is amazing. 
Texan Down Under

saltine

• Administrator
  • Godfather
« Reply #1292 on: September 24, 2016, 03:05:10 AM »
jdc, I'll ask Susan the name of the fruit (though it may have been a nut).  She LOVED them.  We bought some at a roadside stand here but they were rotten inside.  She was so disappointed.

I think there is a new Cambodia restaurant in Brisbane, must try it when I'm in town.

Texan Down Under

verbALs

• Godfather
  • Snort Life-DOR
« Reply #1293 on: September 24, 2016, 03:12:03 AM »
Reason I asked:

If, or when, you get to the Swiss side, Montreux / Lake Geneva, be sure to go to Vevey (short train ride from Montreux) to the new Charlie Chaplin exhibit called Charley's World.  It's at his mansion and it's great.  Also, if you can get to Gruyere from there (easy 40 min car ride, flatland), the HR Giger Museum is amazing.
Thanks that sounds great.
I used to encourage everyone I knew to make art; I don't do that so much anymore. - Banksy

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • "The life we build, we never stop creating.”
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
« Reply #1294 on: September 26, 2016, 08:30:13 AM »
Beautiful pictures, jdc and verbALs!

philip918

• Elite Member
« Reply #1295 on: September 26, 2016, 07:02:17 PM »
What is this thing you call "vacation"? It's been so long since we've had one, I forget.

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #1296 on: October 15, 2016, 05:31:26 AM »
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • If I keep digging maybe I will get out of this hol
« Reply #1297 on: October 16, 2016, 02:38:44 PM »
A weekend is where you head off with some friends for a couple of days mountain biking. Then you end up feeling stiff and sore, because of a fall on the first day. Had a great time, but I did not ride on the second day (because of the fall). My right hand side is not very happy with me at the moment.

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • "The life we build, we never stop creating.”
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
« Reply #1298 on: October 18, 2016, 12:28:37 AM »
Sorry to hear that, Dave. Hope you are feeling better now.

I've been up in the mountains and wish I could live there for always. :)

chardy999

• Elite Member
« Reply #1299 on: October 18, 2016, 02:23:41 AM »
Colours! Beautiful Sandy.  ;D
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.
- Groucho Marx