Author Topic: Vacation  (Read 145231 times)

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • "The life we build, we never stop creating.”
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
Re: Vacation
« Reply #1300 on: October 19, 2016, 07:15:01 PM »
Thanks, Chardy! Not quite the Aran Islands, but it will do for a nearby destination. :)

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #1301 on: October 19, 2016, 09:09:57 PM »
Sheeooosh, that is a pretty spot.

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #1302 on: November 14, 2016, 06:24:06 PM »
Off to Florence for a few days... Anybody been that has a special eating recommendation?

Then back home to Chicago area for Thanksgiving..
"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

saltine

• Administrator
  • Godfather
« Reply #1303 on: November 14, 2016, 07:25:59 PM »
Off to Florence for a few days... Anybody been that has a special eating recommendation?

Then back home to Chicago area for Thanksgiving..

http://trattoria-mario.com/Site-2013/index.php

We got in but it's always crowded.   Open for lunch only.

Also we loved the claypot dishes offered elsewhere as in Fiesole.  Many wonderful restaurants there.

Have fun.  What a lovely city!  Also enjoy TG in US.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2016, 07:30:39 PM by saltine »
Texan Down Under

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #1304 on: November 14, 2016, 07:30:31 PM »
thanks.. will see if we can get in
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #1305 on: November 14, 2016, 08:09:26 PM »
anyway.. must be losing my mind, going to Venice, not Florence

saltine

• Administrator
  • Godfather
« Reply #1306 on: November 14, 2016, 08:39:01 PM »

Haha, crazy!

We only ate pizza there so no help at all.  I did get sh*t on by the birds in St Mark's Square, but I don't recommend it.
Texan Down Under

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #1307 on: November 14, 2016, 09:35:48 PM »
I'll try to avoid that as well.  From what I read, Venice doesn't seem a great place for pizza or just food in general.  But will just try to find small places that maybe out of the way.  We have 2 nights there just as a side trip before going to see my family.

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #1308 on: November 19, 2016, 11:56:56 PM »

Haha, crazy!

We only ate pizza there so no help at all.  I did get sh*t on by the birds in St Mark's Square, but I don't recommend it.

We never ate pizza, most that we saw didn't look very good.  Overall, was disappointed in the food though those standing wine bars were always nice.

Two glasses of decent wine, bread with truffle and ham for 9Euro was wonderful.  We ate and drank a few times at these places:

Also tried some of the wine where they bottle it there in the store which seemed to run between 2 - 2.40 Euro per litre. 

It wasn't great but noticed that a lot of restaurants used these barrels to fill the carafe when ordering house wine.  We drank it will sitting on the water bus between stops.  We didn't really do anything special, mostly just walked endlessly around the little alleys of the town.  We had planned to go to a symphony or music performance but were really stuck on Singapore time zone which made it difficult not to want to go back to hotel and sleep after 7pm.

Overall, it is unique but not somewhere I would want to go back.  I really want to explore other areas of Italy for the food and wine.  I have close friends that always wanted to go to Sicily as well as my wife wants to so we are going to try to all arrange a trip there next year.  Also, France is probably on the agenda later next year as well

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #1309 on: December 09, 2016, 09:43:57 AM »
Booked. Valentine Week 2017, Mrs. 1SO and I will be in London.

love