Author Topic: Vacation  (Read 145248 times)

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • If I keep digging maybe I will get out of this hol
Re: Vacation
« Reply #1370 on: February 28, 2017, 09:24:26 PM »
Deep dish pizza is definitely on the cards.

Saltine, thank you for all the suggestions, the architecture tour sounds particularly interesting and I am always up for a hotdog. After hearing the Music Box mentioned lots I really should try and catch a film there.

saltine

• Administrator
  • Godfather
« Reply #1371 on: February 28, 2017, 10:28:00 PM »
If you go to The Music Box, you'll get off the train AT Wrigley Field, worth a look around.

If you go to Uno's for deep dish and there is a long waiting line, there is another location two blocks away.

If you go on the architecture tour, arrive early enough to get a good seat in the front of the boat.  The tours are narrated.

If you don't go to The Art Institute, you'll be missing some masterpieces which you can see quickly with the folder with the "must-see" list which directs you to each room holding one of these treasures.  These works are one-of-a-kind, you know.  Only here at this place ...

You can get hotdogs or encased meats as called in Chicago at lots of locations, but there is only one Portillo's.  It's easy to find.  The line will be long, but it moves quick-smart.  Beer on tap in a giant frosty glass.  Give it a go!  Or, wait, I forgot to say Portillo's have frozen custard as well.  It's milky and very nice.  Not the best in the world.  That's at Leon's in Milwaukee, but you're not going there.  :D

Texan Down Under

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #1372 on: February 28, 2017, 10:34:19 PM »
Uno's schmunos... you want Nancy's, Giordano's or Edwardo's.

saltine

• Administrator
  • Godfather
« Reply #1373 on: February 28, 2017, 10:36:12 PM »
I am no expert (and I expected to hear from you sooner or later).  I don't know how easy those are to get to.

Uno's is good enough for its handy location.  He'll hate it anywhere he goes. 
Texan Down Under

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • If I keep digging maybe I will get out of this hol
« Reply #1374 on: March 02, 2017, 03:48:45 AM »
Well it was a very quick trip, as they have now pulled the plug on it. Thank you for the suggestions, there is always a chance they will change their minds again.  ;D

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #1375 on: March 02, 2017, 09:45:29 PM »
Careful maybe they're lurking here, and caught wind of all this non-business related pizza talk! :)

colonel_mexico

• Elite Member
« Reply #1376 on: March 08, 2017, 12:20:51 PM »
Well off to Miami for the first round of the World Baseball Classic. Staying in Little Havana so I'll be able to check out a few of the Calle Ocho places, anybody have any other must try Cuban places? 
"What do you want me to do draw you a picture?! Spell it out?! Don't ever ask me, as long as you live don't ever ask me more!"

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • "The life we build, we never stop creating.”
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
« Reply #1377 on: March 08, 2017, 01:24:51 PM »
Enjoy your trip, colonel_mexico!

I hear between 13th and 17th avenues on Calle Ocho is a great area to focus on.

colonel_mexico

• Elite Member
« Reply #1378 on: March 08, 2017, 02:48:03 PM »
Thanks Sandy! Yes, I plan to meander about a bit, I figure if I eat somewhere different everyday over a week I'm bound to find a few gems!
"What do you want me to do draw you a picture?! Spell it out?! Don't ever ask me, as long as you live don't ever ask me more!"

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #1379 on: March 08, 2017, 04:14:44 PM »
Well off to Miami for the first round of the World Baseball Classic. Staying in Little Havana so I'll be able to check out a few of the Calle Ocho places, anybody have any other must try Cuban places?

I was going to suggest one of the best meals I had was at a hole in the wall Vietnamese restaurant in Little Havana.  We use to go about once a week when I was working on a project there back in the 90's.  But it looks like it closed a couple of years ago after 36 years:

http://www.miamiherald.com/living/food-drink/article41404881.html

Not sure what else to suggest but it is a great city and you will have lots of choices
"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

love