Author Topic: Vacation  (Read 145283 times)

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
Re: Vacation
« Reply #1470 on: August 15, 2017, 11:22:36 AM »
That looks great.  I don't think I would try surfing again though but would love to check out that place
It's a neat place. Small enough not to have any retail franchises, but instead a couple of dozen cafes and restaurants of all varieties... and an excellent brewery as well. The population in the summer months must be 10 fold or more what it is any other time of year, but it never felt overcrowded, just bustling. You've short term tourists (like me, who airbnb or stay in a beach resort for a week), then there's working tourists (work by day servicing the short term tourists, surf by night, as long as the season lasts), then there's a younger crowd of people also looking to enjoy a summer on the beach who live out of dilapidated motorhomes, vans, etc just kind of doing the hippy wanderer thing.

You kind of just have to go with the flow in Tofino it seems like... it's one of those places where being efficient or friendly or enthusiastic makes your business uncool. Snooty hipsterism pervades much of the retail industry there. Trendy food trucks, with hour long line ups and poor service, selling overpriced "artisan" tacos is kind of the norm. The kind of place where if you thank the barrista for your coffee they're more likely to say "sure" than "you're welcome"... that's if they deign to look at you, you silly wannabe tourist. If you don't say thank you you're a big city jerk, if you do you're a phony big city jerk. :)) Really not the kind of place for a person who tips according to the actual service received, lol. That's why you need at least a week in Tofino so you can just slow down and go the speed things go there. Just accept the way things are. I'm pretty laid back and my group was too so we were alright... but I can see if you were trying to keep a schedule or had an itinerary or something it would not be a good place for you. Don't make any plans. :)

Where were you when you tried surfing, jdc?

The forest looks like Endor.
And many of it's inhabitants look like Ewoks. :)

I love BC.  We have plenty of beautiful here in the Pacific NW, but BC just feels that extra bit more beautiful.
I can assure you, our grass isn't any greener. :)   
« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 11:24:09 AM by smirnoff »

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #1471 on: August 16, 2017, 12:08:47 AM »
That looks great.  I don't think I would try surfing again though but would love to check out that place
It's a neat place. Small enough not to have any retail franchises, but instead a couple of dozen cafes and restaurants of all varieties... and an excellent brewery as well. The population in the summer months must be 10 fold or more what it is any other time of year, but it never felt overcrowded, just bustling. You've short term tourists (like me, who airbnb or stay in a beach resort for a week), then there's working tourists (work by day servicing the short term tourists, surf by night, as long as the season lasts), then there's a younger crowd of people also looking to enjoy a summer on the beach who live out of dilapidated motorhomes, vans, etc just kind of doing the hippy wanderer thing.

You kind of just have to go with the flow in Tofino it seems like... it's one of those places where being efficient or friendly or enthusiastic makes your business uncool. Snooty hipsterism pervades much of the retail industry there. Trendy food trucks, with hour long line ups and poor service, selling overpriced "artisan" tacos is kind of the norm. The kind of place where if you thank the barrista for your coffee they're more likely to say "sure" than "you're welcome"... that's if they deign to look at you, you silly wannabe tourist. If you don't say thank you you're a big city jerk, if you do you're a phony big city jerk. :)) Really not the kind of place for a person who tips according to the actual service received, lol. That's why you need at least a week in Tofino so you can just slow down and go the speed things go there. Just accept the way things are. I'm pretty laid back and my group was too so we were alright... but I can see if you were trying to keep a schedule or had an itinerary or something it would not be a good place for you. Don't make any plans. :)

Where were you when you tried surfing, jdc?

I only went surfing once in Hawaii back around 2001.  I managed to get up and balance on my 2nd or 3rd attempt but after maybe 6 waves it started to strain my back when trying to transition from paddling into the wave and pushing up and jumping up on to the board.
"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • "The life we build, we never stop creating.”
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
« Reply #1472 on: August 17, 2017, 12:41:06 AM »
I envy your trip, smirnoff! You're a surfer now!! I hear Gary Hoey playing guitar in my head as I look at your pics. :)

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #1473 on: August 23, 2017, 09:14:17 AM »
Didn't know they had beaches in Canada. The sand looks cold.
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #1474 on: August 23, 2017, 09:50:39 AM »
Where it was wet it was cold. :) Where it was dry it was almost too hot to stand on without shoes! :))

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #1475 on: September 06, 2017, 07:11:14 AM »
I'm at a deli with a signed photo of Ennio Morricone on the wall. This meal just got epic.

chardy999

• Elite Member
« Reply #1476 on: September 06, 2017, 07:57:37 AM »
I'm at a deli with a signed photo of Ennio Morricone on the wall. This meal just got epic.

Pic! That's great.
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.
- Groucho Marx

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #1477 on: September 06, 2017, 09:32:09 AM »
Curious, did you recognise the man in the picture or the signature?
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #1478 on: September 06, 2017, 10:00:09 AM »
The face was familiar and what I saw first. Then the signature confirmed it.

I didn't get a picture. Too busy eating.

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #1479 on: September 06, 2017, 12:15:42 PM »
Visiting friends in Norway and enjoying life.  soon I have to get back to reality... 

"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

love