love

Author Topic: Vacation  (Read 145213 times)

saltine

• Administrator
  • Godfather
Re: Vacation
« Reply #1560 on: December 04, 2018, 02:11:41 PM »
To see Sagrada Familia, you must book early. There are no "on the day" tickets. To miss it would be heart-breaking, in my opinion.
Texan Down Under

philip918

• Elite Member
« Reply #1561 on: December 04, 2018, 02:15:39 PM »
Will definitely get tickets to La Sagrada Familia early. It will be fun to see it again. I went back in 2003 when I was in college.

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #1562 on: January 31, 2019, 05:42:21 PM »
Three years ago we signed up for this AirBnB in Wigtown, Scotland where you run this little bookstore for a week and live above it. Sounds neat, right? It had a long waiting list so we weren't scheduled until May of 2019. That was all fine and dandy when it was just the two of us. But when the baby came along, I assumed we would cancel because surely taking an infant on a trans-Atlantic flight to a tiny town in a strange country and living in a place that really isn't set up for babies AT ALL would be a bad idea, right? But oh no. My wife was absolutely insistent that we go. I argued and argued that we should kick it a few years down the road, when William would be easier to handle, not to mention he would appreciate it more. But Carrie wouldn't budge. She wasn't going to let something stop us just because it was hard. Well, this weighed on my mind for weeks. I tried to warm up to the idea, but it just felt like hassle, stress and exhaustion to me. So the other night, hoping to strike a compromise and still appeal to her desire to travel, I suggested we take a road trip instead. She didn't cotton to that idea at all, but she said: "You're on the right track, though, coming up with alternatives... how about a Disney cruise?"

So hallelujah, we cancelled Scotland and now we're planning a 7-night Disney cruise in the Caribbean (Virgin Islands, Bahamas) in May! Our young friend and boarder will be joining us too, she's pretty much family to us. I'm sure most of you are aware that I'm no big fan of Disney, but with a child at some point I'm gonna have to get used to them. Besides, it sounds like a lot of fun and I loved the other cruise we took. Disney cruises are extremely baby-friendly, that was the big selling point for me (and the fact that it involves a lot less air travel). And we can afford to travel in style.

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #1563 on: January 31, 2019, 07:51:09 PM »
I like your original plan though being able to travel with friends is nice. I was jealous I didn't get to go with a big group of friends (3 families) to ski in Hokkaido last year due to having just started a new job and having a large project giving us blackout dates around the holiday. 

So we already booked a December trip to Hokkaido to ski this year with one some friends that will return.
"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #1564 on: January 31, 2019, 10:08:20 PM »
I'm sure most of you are aware that I'm no big fan of Disney...

I was reading along and the first mention of "Disney Cruise" turned my face into a question mark. I get it, traveling with an infant makes it a better option than a Carnival Cruise. I did a Disney Cruise once, but I can't speak about taking one with a kid. It seems they have a lot of activities for all ages. I vaguely remember 3 pools: one that's only about a half-foot deep, a family pool and one for adults only. The best part of the trip was Disney's private island Castaway Cay. Most of their Bermuda cruises stop there. The other ports are giant tourist traps, which makes Castaway more relaxed by comparison. Plus the food there is amazing.

I don't think this trip will ease you into Disney. In fact I think it will entrench your bias.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2019, 10:11:42 PM by 1SO »

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #1565 on: January 31, 2019, 10:12:56 PM »
Castaway Cay is the last stop on our cruise. We're in this just to have fun and relax, touristy is okay.

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #1566 on: February 28, 2019, 11:26:44 PM »
I'm between renovation projects at the moment, so I found a gig for a couple months taking care of this lodge, which services a whole whack of cabins. It's kind of out in the woods, an hour from where I live. But for the next few months this is my home. It's 4 bedrooms so it's a decent size. There are a couple of wood stoves to keep the place cozy. I'm mainly just here to make sure the generator keeps the electricity flowing, and to plow the roads connecting all the cabins. Also, keep the wood supply healthy. There are one or two semi-full time residents out here though, so I'm not totally alone. It's got the internet (via satellite), but it's not really good enough for streaming, so I brought a bunch of movies and tv shows to watch. Kind of a vacation, kind of work. Most of the time I'll be getting paid to sit around, heh.

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #1567 on: February 28, 2019, 11:32:24 PM »
"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #1568 on: February 28, 2019, 11:35:18 PM »
I know right. Filmspotting will keep me sane.

Unfortunately (or fortunately) I don't have a trike and endless hallways to ride down. I do have a rust bucket old Dodge with a plow attached to the front though and lots of snow to push around. :)

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • If I keep digging maybe I will get out of this hol
« Reply #1569 on: March 01, 2019, 03:46:27 AM »
It looks very rustic and comfy.

love