Author Topic: Vacation  (Read 145328 times)

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
Re: Vacation
« Reply #1580 on: May 16, 2019, 10:38:34 PM »
Going to Coron, Philippines tomorrow for 1 week and going to leave my work laptop at home. That will be the first time I have done that since pretty much since I first got a laptop from work back in 1997 or so...

Hopefully back to watching some films in June but I know I will be in July
"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #1581 on: May 24, 2019, 10:02:00 PM »
Finished my stint in the woods. It's looking quite different now up here.

Been living nice and rustic in an old cabin since May, and they've kept me around as a general handyman. It's been nice. I gottA walk to the lodge to get in wifi range, but it's okay. There's more people around now and we've been having fun after hours.

I'm back to civilization now, begrudgingly. At least for the time being.

colonel_mexico

• Elite Member
« Reply #1582 on: May 25, 2019, 10:17:41 AM »
It looks amazing Noff, but can I ask you something?  Are you Heisenberg?? :)
"What do you want me to do draw you a picture?! Spell it out?! Don't ever ask me, as long as you live don't ever ask me more!"

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #1583 on: May 25, 2019, 09:42:53 PM »
It looks amazing Noff, but can I ask you something?  Are you Heisenberg?? :)

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #1584 on: May 25, 2019, 10:50:41 PM »
That looks like an experience I would like to try... I spent a few days on an Eco island in the Philippines this past week where everything was solar, no AC, no internet except in the main dining area. It was nice, had to find things to keep busy.. I wouldn’t mind doing it for a longer retreat and using the time to read, exercise, maybe learn to meditate but would have to find a time to take a long vacation,  It was the end of the season, so they stopped the daily yoga classes and we didn’t manage to make any of the meditation sessions
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #1585 on: May 25, 2019, 11:04:30 PM »
More exploits from the time out there.

The oldest cabin up there... built in the 40's or something. The others don't look much newer though tbh

The lake from a different perspective.

One of about a million trails to get lost on.

Random nightmare fuel in the middle of nowhere.

My co-workers from Montreal and Munich respectively. A working vacation for them.

And a day off in town visiting wineries to replenish our supply.

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #1586 on: May 25, 2019, 11:12:52 PM »
That looks like an experience I would like to try... I spent a few days on an Eco island in the Philippines this past week where everything was solar, no AC, no internet except in the main dining area. It was nice, had to find things to keep busy.. I wouldn’t mind doing it for a longer retreat and using the time to read, exercise, maybe learn to meditate but would have to find a time to take a long vacation,  It was the end of the season, so they stopped the daily yoga classes and we didn’t manage to make any of the meditation sessions

Well my two co-workers in the pictures above were part of this WorkAway program. A pretty neat way to travel on the cheap. The host provides food and accommodation and in return you're expected to put in 5 hours a day doing whatever. It's really a nice balance of giving you something to do, but also leaving enough free time to really enjoy the day.

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #1587 on: May 26, 2019, 02:18:32 AM »

Well my two co-workers in the pictures above were part of this WorkAway program. A pretty neat way to travel on the cheap. The host provides food and accommodation and in return you're expected to put in 5 hours a day doing whatever. It's really a nice balance of giving you something to do, but also leaving enough free time to really enjoy the day.

Thanks, will look into that (maybe I can get my yard work done that way...)

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #1588 on: May 26, 2019, 11:59:18 AM »
Going to Orange Beach for the week. My mom's folks have a timeshare there and I've never been. Bringing a small stack of books and my pasty body in the hopes of getting some beach reading in.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2019, 09:51:48 PM by Sam the Cinema Snob »

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • "The life we build, we never stop creating.”
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
« Reply #1589 on: May 28, 2019, 11:09:52 PM »
Random nightmare fuel in the middle of nowhere.

:o If I came across that in the evening, I'd lose it!

I just got back from McCall Idaho, also in amongst the trees and a lake, but I only had a weekend, you've been there a whole season! Totally envious. :)
You look completely happy in your pics, smirnoff. You're in your natural element. Do you think you'll go back next winter?
« Last Edit: May 28, 2019, 11:12:10 PM by Sandy »