Author Topic: Vacation  (Read 145268 times)

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
Re: Vacation
« Reply #1600 on: April 28, 2020, 10:27:27 PM »
One upside of this whole thing is I've been able to save up some PTO. Got 8 vacation days and 2 sick days (sick time is especially scarce for me since I usually have to use some whenever my kid gets sick) banked right now, and accruing one of each every month.

Eric/E.T.

• Elite Member
« Reply #1601 on: April 29, 2020, 12:13:04 AM »
Coming up would be my two prime travel months, so nothing going this year. Next year, thinking either the Amsterdam-Berlin trip I've been putting off or the Karlovy Vary film festival and a few days in Prague. I have only left North America once - Hawaii. Yes, that counts, Hawaii is not on the N. American continent, it's not their fault a certain someone saw and conquered. But it's time to REALLY get off-continent soon. 14 years and I finally have at least somewhat enough $$$ to do so.
A witty saying proves nothing. - Voltaire

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #1602 on: April 29, 2020, 12:32:55 AM »
If anybody every passes through SG, do like me know, happy to be a guide or meet for drinks or dinner.  Saltine, still waiting for you to make it after a few chances.  But you know, when it is safe
"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
  • Oo-da-lolly, Oo-da-lolly, golly what a day!
    • Corndog Chats
« Reply #1603 on: April 29, 2020, 07:38:02 AM »
Luckily I not only snuck in a vacation just before all this broke out at the beginning of March, but I also managed to take in professional baseball (spring training) before that got stopped potentially for the entire year. With that in mind, I'm fine if I don't get another one in this year, since I was spoiled to begin with.
"Time is the speed at which the past decays."

Eric/E.T.

• Elite Member
« Reply #1604 on: April 29, 2020, 08:37:27 AM »
Luckily I not only snuck in a vacation just before all this broke out at the beginning of March, but I also managed to take in professional baseball (spring training) before that got stopped potentially for the entire year. With that in mind, I'm fine if I don't get another one in this year, since I was spoiled to begin with.

Cleveland fan? I know you don't necessarily follow the local teams there, just wondering if you made your way to Goodyear this spring training.

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
    • Corndog Chats
« Reply #1605 on: April 29, 2020, 08:54:30 AM »

Cleveland fan? I know you don't necessarily follow the local teams there, just wondering if you made your way to Goodyear this spring training.

Generally just a fan of the game, but I follow Cincinnati since I went to school down there (also Goodyear). We managed to see four games, all different teams:

Rangers at Dodgers
D-Backs at Royals (night game)
Mariners at Angels
Brewers at Reds

Eric/E.T.

• Elite Member
« Reply #1606 on: April 29, 2020, 09:43:20 AM »
That's cool. I'm very much in the camp of: love going to games, not a huge fan of watching them on TV. The big exception is during summer, where I'll tune into many more games. I adopted the D-backs a while ago, and I think it's very funny when they are at another team. Must be a luxury to wake up in your own home for spring training. I live close to several of the spring training stadiums, but have never gone. I don't know why. Probably same reason I haven't been to the Grand Canyon. (I don't know.)

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
    • Corndog Chats
« Reply #1607 on: April 29, 2020, 09:53:18 AM »
I live close to several of the spring training stadiums, but have never gone. I don't know why. Probably same reason I haven't been to the Grand Canyon. (I don't know.)

Do both. Highly recommended. We also trekked down to Tuscon on this trip to check out Saguaro National Park. Not the great vistas often associated with National Parks, but a cool day trip for us. For a desert dweller I imagine it'd just be a little more of the same though.

Eric/E.T.

• Elite Member
« Reply #1608 on: April 29, 2020, 09:58:38 AM »
Actually I love Tucson and have done a lot around there. I wanted to move there, but the teacher pay is garbage even compared to other parts of the state. It's a green haven compared to Phoenix proper, and definitely compared to Yuma, on the opposite side of the state (basically) where I lived for 9 years. Flagstaff is amazing, too. We have a lot of different ecosystems and climates for just one state. I just never made it all the way up to the canyon. Now that I'll have my own third grade class next year, I'm thinking about taking them on a field trip to the GC.

saltine

• Administrator
  • Godfather
« Reply #1609 on: April 29, 2020, 04:26:02 PM »
If anybody every passes through SG, do like me know, happy to be a guide or meet for drinks or dinner.  Saltine, still waiting for you to make it after a few chances.  But you know, when it is safe

We were looking at Singapore, hoping it would open up at the same time NZ did for us. Of course NZ hasn't happen yet, but the PMs say it's in the cards for NZ/AUS tourism. However, Singapore spiked and I think that will hurt the chances of AUS/Singapore tourism in the near future. All of this is contingent on AUS and NZ not spiking, but our health ministers are expecting a spike. The intensity is the unknown. Yesterday AUS had 8 cases and three states/territories had zero, some for as much as 6 and 10 days running. Most other deaths seem to be from outbreaks in nursing homes, so unfortunate.

So proud of AUS/NZ and its citizens keeping this health danger under control ... so far.
Texan Down Under

love