Author Topic: Compliment Another Filmspotter  (Read 272484 times)

'Noke

• Objectively Awesome
Re: Compliment Another Filmspotter
« Reply #440 on: August 03, 2009, 08:01:24 AM »
A thanks to filmspotters who led me to some amazing films this year:
worm

All About My Mother!!

Bill

The Third Man!!

Thor

umm.. I got nothing.

Oh, wait. Sonic Youth!!

And to all of the marvelous reviewers, who post such excellent and detailed reviews for us few, insignificant folks-- thank you so much!

hear hear.
I actually consider a lot of movies to be life-changing! I take them to my heart and they melt into my personality.

Bill Thompson

• Objectively Awesome
  • DOOM!!!!
    • Bill's Movie Emporium
« Reply #441 on: August 03, 2009, 08:36:11 AM »
I do try, but I think it speaks to the strength of the forums that all of us have at the very least a few movies we discovered because of this place. I would never have seen Le Fils, Paris, Texas, Sunrise: A Song Of Two Humans, and a bunch more if not for people at FS pimping them. Heck, I even thank FLY most of the time, because when he vehemently insists a movie is terrible I know it's most likely quite good and I should check it out.  ;D

'Noke

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #442 on: August 03, 2009, 08:37:53 AM »
I do try, but I think it speaks to the strength of the forums that all of us have at the very least a few movies we discovered because of this place. I would never have seen Le Fils, Paris, Texas, Sunrise: A Song Of Two Humans, and a bunch more if not for people at FS pimping them. Heck, I even thank FLY most of the time, because when he vehemently insists a movie is terrible I know it's most likely quite good and I should check it out.  ;D

And there's, of course, the holy grail of filmspotting forum discoveries, Chunking Express.
I actually consider a lot of movies to be life-changing! I take them to my heart and they melt into my personality.

edgar00

• 00 Agent
  • Objectively Awesome
  • corndogs are better than Die Another Day
    • Between The Seats
« Reply #443 on: August 03, 2009, 09:11:00 AM »

And there's, of course, the holy grail of filmspotting forum discoveries, Chunking Express.

It's 400 Blows for me.
-Le Chiffre: You changed your shirt, Mr Bond. I hope our little game isn't causing you to perspire.

-James Bond: A little. But I won't consider myself to be in trouble until I start weeping blood.

https://twitter.com/Betweentheseats
http://crabkeyheadquarters.wordpress.com/

skjerva

• Godfather
  • I'm your audience.
« Reply #444 on: August 03, 2009, 10:57:11 AM »

It's 400 Blows for me.

for me it is Nowhere, thanks rouj :)
But I wish the public could, in the midst of its pleasures, see how blatantly it is being spoon-fed, and ask for slightly better dreams. 
                        - Iris Barry from "The Public's Pleasure" (1926)

edgar00

• 00 Agent
  • Objectively Awesome
  • corndogs are better than Die Another Day
    • Between The Seats
« Reply #445 on: August 03, 2009, 11:03:34 AM »

It's 400 Blows for me.

for me it is Nowhere, thanks rouj :)

That Gregg Araki movie? That's the one movie you're psyched about having discovered here?
-Le Chiffre: You changed your shirt, Mr Bond. I hope our little game isn't causing you to perspire.

-James Bond: A little. But I won't consider myself to be in trouble until I start weeping blood.

https://twitter.com/Betweentheseats
http://crabkeyheadquarters.wordpress.com/

skjerva

• Godfather
  • I'm your audience.
« Reply #446 on: August 03, 2009, 11:14:46 AM »
yeah, it was awesome.  and it inspired me to revisit Araki's old stuff - The Living End, Totally F***ed Up, and The Doom Generation - which were all great, as well as finally checking out Mysterious Skin, which i also love
But I wish the public could, in the midst of its pleasures, see how blatantly it is being spoon-fed, and ask for slightly better dreams. 

¡Keith!

• Objectively Awesome
  • Bitch, I been around since LimeWire.
« Reply #447 on: August 03, 2009, 11:25:55 AM »
weird - I don't read the reviews (even on this forum/podcast) before I see a film so when browsing thru the write about the last movie you saw thread I skip right past anything I've not seen before.  I the only one that does this?  Of course some titles take on mem status (JD) and you just can't help having them in yr head when browsing for what to watch (i'll get there at some point).

(BTW skjerva - I didn't forget about yr animation dictation... its just on "very long wait" from BB)

skjerva

• Godfather
  • I'm your audience.
« Reply #448 on: August 03, 2009, 12:43:50 PM »
weird - I don't read the reviews (even on this forum/podcast) before I see a film so when browsing thru the write about the last movie you saw thread I skip right past anything I've not seen before.  I the only one that does this?  Of course some titles take on mem status (JD) and you just can't help having them in yr head when browsing for what to watch (i'll get there at some point).

(BTW skjerva - I didn't forget about yr animation dictation... its just on "very long wait" from BB)

no problem, i've also not yet watched my animation :(  or last month's Brothers Bloom from Junior (i didn't have a lot of going to the theatre time slots open early in the dictation when the film was probably still around, the last two/three weeks when i have had some time i would look for it, but it had disappeared, maybe it will resurface at a buck-house).  i also have yet to watch Bill's Third Man Cannes dictation (though i did start it one night, but the time didn't seem right).  i also owe 3 write-ups (i think, one of them music) of dictations i did complete :(

i pretty much do the same thing with reviews - skip em if i haven't yet seen em

Thor

• Godfather
    • KTQ
« Reply #449 on: August 03, 2009, 02:40:09 PM »
I'm hurt that you don't read my reviews... lame, I know...
Wanting for Thor what Thor wants for Thor.

love